Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

'Family of a Settled Person Visa' Criminal history question!

'Family of a Settled Person Visa' Criminal history question!

Old Nov 1st 2016, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

rubynronnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 'Family of a Settled Person Visa' Criminal history question!

Hi,
We want to start the process of bringing my husband here from the US after Christmas for a year before we make the permanent move back to the US together.
After some research I think we need to apply for the 'Family of a settled person' Visa.
I'm a UK citizen and I meet all the financial and accommodation requirements.
The only issue is that a year ago my husband was arrested and found guilty of disorderley conduct after an argument with his ex about their kids. He was given a fine and anger management classes which he completed and paid.
I've been researching to see if this is a problem and my understanding is that to enter and remain in the U.K. 12 months have to have passed since the conviction, and 24 months has to have passed for settlement visas. Does anyone know which one is relevant to our situation? Is the visa we are applying for 'to remain' or 'settlement'?
Thanks in advance
Old Nov 1st 2016, 11:48 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Family of a Settled Person Visa' Criminal history question!

Originally Posted by rubynronnie
Hi,
We want to start the process of bringing my husband here from the US after Christmas for a year before we make the permanent move back to the US together.
After some research I think we need to apply for the 'Family of a settled person' Visa.
I'm a UK citizen and I meet all the financial and accommodation requirements.
The only issue is that a year ago my husband was arrested and found guilty of disorderley conduct after an argument with his ex about their kids. He was given a fine and anger management classes which he completed and paid.
I've been researching to see if this is a problem and my understanding is that to enter and remain in the U.K. 12 months have to have passed since the conviction, and 24 months has to have passed for settlement visas. Does anyone know which one is relevant to our situation? Is the visa we are applying for 'to remain' or 'settlement'?
Thanks in advance
Hi, you'll get advice re the type of visa from people more experienced than I. I hope there's another visa your husband is eligible for, as going through the rather onerous application process and paying the not inconsiderable fee for a family of a settled person visa, if your husband's only going to be in the UK for a year, seems excessive! Best of luck with your plans.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Nov 2nd 2016 at 12:06 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 7:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hi, you'll get advice re the type of visa from people more experienced than I. I hope there's another visa your husband is eligible for, as going through the rather onerous application process and paying the not inconsiderable fee for a family of a settled person visa, if your husband's only going to be in the UK for a year, seems excessive! Best of luck with your plans.
Thank you! Yes I can see your point. The delay in me moving to the US to be with him is because I want my daughter to finish her A Levels before we move and we don't want to wait another 2 years apart.
I would love to know if there is another visa my husband is eligible for, it's important that he can work legally while he is here. I would appreciate any advice!
Thanks again
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 7:42 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubynronnie
Thank you! Yes I can see your point. The delay in me moving to the US to be with him is because I want my daughter to finish her A Levels before we move and we don't want to wait another 2 years apart.
I would love to know if there is another visa my husband is eligible for, it's important that he can work legally while he is here. I would appreciate any advice!
Thanks again
Does he have a British parent/grandparent?
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 8:36 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Does he have a British parent/grandparent?
Or any other recent European ancestry?
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

He says that his great grandparents were either Scottish or lived in Scotland for a while. He can get more information from his mum when he talks to her later. Is there another visa that he could apply for that involves having some sort if ancestry link?
Thanks