Expiring UK passport 2024

Old Feb 6th 2020, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future
Default Expiring UK passport 2024

Just noticed my UK passport expires in 2024. The UK passport web site shows changes after 2021 ! but not sure what the changes mean. Do I need to renew before 2024 expiration or can I wait till closer to 2024 to renew. I have a valid USA passport so there is no rush to renew.
From what I can make out from passport web site the UK passport is still valid after 2021 but has to be renewed at least 6 months before it expires if I want to travel on it. Is this correct .?

Thanks Bob
I used to renew in UK when parents were alive, as I used their address, I traveled back home to visit, now both parents have passed on 2 years ago and my UK buddy's are also starting to passing away, I presently I have no more need to return. You know you are getting old when all your old UK friends are dying off.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 6:32 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expiring UK passport 2024

Originally Posted by 2bretired
Just noticed my UK passport expires in 2024. The UK passport web site shows changes after 2021 ! but not sure what the changes mean. Do I need to renew before 2024 expiration or can I wait till closer to 2024 to renew. I have a valid USA passport so there is no rush to renew.
From what I can make out from passport web site the UK passport is still valid after 2021 but has to be renewed at least 6 months before it expires if I want to travel on it. Is this correct .?

Thanks Bob
I used to renew in UK when parents were alive, as I used their address, I traveled back home to visit, now both parents have passed on 2 years ago and my UK buddy's are also starting to passing away, I presently I have no more need to return. You know you are getting old when all your old UK friends are dying off.
Your burgundy UK passport is valid up to the date it expires. When you renew, you'll get a blue one. I think where you're getting the 6 month thing from is, from 1 January 2021 you'll need at least 6 months validity on your UK passport to visit an EU country.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Feb 6th 2020 at 6:35 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 6:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Your burgundy UK passport is valid up to the date it expires. .......
It is likely that you could enter the UK with an expired UK passport, assuming that the airline allowed you to board, but obviously you wouldn't be able to travel anywhere else until you had renewed it.
Old Feb 9th 2020, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future

Thanks everyone, I only keep my UK passport as a emergency backup. As I have been told if you are abroad and need help the British embassy is better than US embassy for help.

Bob
Old Feb 10th 2020, 1:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2bretired
Thanks everyone, I only keep my UK passport as a emergency backup. As I have been told if you are abroad and need help the British embassy is better than US embassy for help. ....
From what I understand, under "normal circumstances", generally you are expected to contact the embassy of the country whose passport you are traveling on. Under extreme circumstances, such as evacuation in the even of war, earthquake or volcano, you may be correct, but under the circumstances of lesser emergencies, you may find yourself turned away by the British embassy if you arrived in the country and showed your US passport. The opposite is also likely true, from what I have heard.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 11:58 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If the visa requirements for British and US citizens are the same for your destination country, which they usually are, then you should factor in consular coverage and the political situation when picking which passport to travel on. My Australian travelling companion always uses his British passport when we visit to the less salubrious parts of the FSU as the British consular network is more extensive but always carries his Aussie one just in case it suddenly becomes more expedient to be an Australian citizen.

If you are residing in the US then I would continue to default to your US passport but carry the British one as a backup. If it expires in 2024 then no need to renew it until then.

Last edited by BritInParis; Feb 10th 2020 at 12:00 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 4:36 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
My Australian travelling companion always uses his British passport when we visit to the less salubrious parts of the FSU as the British consular network is more extensive but always carries his Aussie one just in case it suddenly becomes more expedient to be an Australian citizen.
I asked Scouse which passport he was going to use to enter Istanbul. He asked me to do some research to find out who Turkish people like best, Brits or Aussies

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Feb 10th 2020 at 4:43 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 8:11 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I asked Scouse which passport he was going to use to enter Istanbul. He asked me to do some research to find out who Turkish people like best, Brits or Aussies
That’s what it’ll often boil down to!