expiring British passports

Old Mar 8th 2021, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default expiring British passports

Mine and my daughters passports are about to expire in next 2 months. I was planning on renewing in person in the UK but covid changed that. I am so scared to send away current passports which have visa stamp. Has anyone else done this and what is time frame?

* would there be any implications to my visa if I was replacing "lost' passports?

Last edited by karenkaren1; Mar 8th 2021 at 6:03 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2021, 5:54 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: expiring British passports

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
Mine and my daughters passports are about to expire in next 2 months. I was planning on renewing in person in the UK but covid changed that. I am so scared to send away current passports which have visa stamp. Has anyone else done this and what is time frame?
I never had to renew while I was on a Visa (I specifically got a second / new passport when I got my L1 to avoid that), but I feel your anxiety, upon becoming a USC, the first thing you do is send your Certificate of Naturalization away to get a US passport... and that just comes back creased via USPS a few weeks later..

I did my last renewal while in 2019, no idea was the turn around is now, but it was something like 10 days when I did mine.

The best you can probably do is take photocopies and send the passports with tracking. I seem to remember they came back via DHL. I don't think you are required to cary your passport / visa like the Green card, and you would not be able to travel without the passport or some sort of emergency document anyway.
Old Mar 8th 2021, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

I am so scared to send away current passports which have visa stamp. Has anyone else done this and what is time frame?
Yes, it's fine.

The new passport will come to you in the mail within a few weeks, and the old passport will come a week or so later with the corners of the cover and the biographical page clipped.

The pages with the visas inside will be unmutilated, and you'll carry both passports with you for entry into the US.
Old Mar 8th 2021, 9:05 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht

I did my last renewal while in 2019, no idea was the turn around is now, but it was something like 10 days when I did mine.

Checking my inbox, I uploaded my docs on September 3 last year, and got an email that the new passport was on its way back on October 20. It came via DHL, with the expired passport arriving a week or so after the new one.
Old Mar 9th 2021, 2:06 am
Just Joined

Bebobra is an unknown quantity at this point

* would there be any implications to my visa if I was replacing "lost' passports?
Hello.

I am not in the same position but wanted to encourage you. I needed to renew my passport last October. I sent away my passport and did the process all online and got my new passport back within a month and less than ten days later I received my old passport. I live in Vancouver Island, Canada. This process has been way quicker than getting my Permanent Resident card renewed within Canada which I mailed out in December.

HTH and all the best!
Old Mar 9th 2021, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for responses, reassuring for sure.
Old Mar 9th 2021, 6:03 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

When renewing do you need to put someone down in the UK who knows you? I guess to identify you?
Old Mar 9th 2021, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
When renewing do you need to put someone down in the UK who knows you? I guess to identify you?

Not if you are renewing it while it is still current. If it has expired years ago then identification is required.