Expired Passport and entering the UK

Old Sep 16th 2009, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

KS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really nice
Default Expired Passport and entering the UK

A purely hypothetical question (honestly!). It's just something I've wondered about.

Let's say someone is a dual-national, British and something else. They let their British passport expire and don't renew it because they always travel on their other passport. But what would happen if they tried to re-enter the UK? I assume that they wouldn't be allowed to use the other passport on the grounds that they are British rather than a foreign national, so could they then enter on their expired passport? Can Immigration stop a British citizen from entering their own country even it they've only got out-of-date documentation?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 1:14 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expired Passport and entering the UK

Originally Posted by KS2008
A purely hypothetical question (honestly!). It's just something I've wondered about.

Let's say someone is a dual-national, British and something else. They let their British passport expire and don't renew it because they always travel on their other passport. But what would happen if they tried to re-enter the UK? I assume that they wouldn't be allowed to use the other passport on the grounds that they are British rather than a foreign national, so could they then enter on their expired passport? Can Immigration stop a British citizen from entering their own country even it they've only got out-of-date documentation?
A Brit can enter the UK on a foreign passport as a VISITOR.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 2:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
A Brit can enter the UK on a foreign passport as a VISITOR.
Assuming the following:

- the foreign passport does not require a visa. So a US, Canadian, Australian, NZ, Brazilian etc. passport is ok, a South African passport is not.

- the airline isn't going to refuse boarding to someone on a one-way ticket (not an issue if the other passport is EEA/Swiss).

The only safe way for a British citizen to use a non-EEA/Swiss passport to enter the UK for residence is to have a Right of Abode stamp in the foreign passport.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

Top Cat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KS2008

Hi,

We were returning from a holiday in Canada a few weeks ago. The family infront of us had british passports which were 6 months out of date. The Immigration officer asked why?.. they said ' Yes we know!' His reply was 'okay' and they walked on through..

We were amazed that no more questions were asked... but hey ho!

Not really an answer to your question but interesting anyway.

Top Cat
Old Sep 20th 2009, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Top Cat
Hi,

We were returning from a holiday in Canada a few weeks ago. The family infront of us had british passports which were 6 months out of date. The Immigration officer asked why?.. they said ' Yes we know!' His reply was 'okay' and they walked on through..

We were amazed that no more questions were asked... but hey ho!

Not really an answer to your question but interesting anyway.

Top Cat
I did that once, no probs, and I saw a Brit/Kiwi do it the previous Xmas (in fact it was seeing her doing it that made me figure I'd try it). I've renewed now ( and it the std turnaround for my British passport was 10 days quicker than the so-called 'fast' and extra $$ option when renewing my Australian passport, but then I've become used to substandard service living in Oz so long!).

It probably depends how long your Brit passport is out of date, 6mths or more would be taking the piss IMO.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 2:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Top Cat
Hi,

They may have used Canadian, US passports etc, to board the aircraft. If they just had expired British passports, there is a 99% risk of being refused boarding.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
They may have used Canadian, US passports etc, to board the aircraft. If they just had expired British passports, there is a 99% risk of being refused boarding.
Ah yes, I'm assuming the family some kind of other passport. Traveling on just an expired UK passport would be rather foolish IMO.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 10:00 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
If the expired date is noticed at the POD then a passenger with an expired passport would not be allowed to board at all. It is doubtful they would even get as far as the gate.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

Patzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Aviator
If the expired date is noticed at the POD then a passenger with an expired passport would not be allowed to board at all. It is doubtful they would even get as far as the gate.
I am not sure that is the case. This is from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office if travelling from US to UK:

Does my British passport have to be valid for six months beyond my date of departure from the United States?

No, if your passport is not valid for at least six months beyond your date of departure from the United States, it will not affect your eligibility to travel. The United States has an agreement with the United Kingdom automatically extending the validity of a passport for six months past the passport's expiration date. Therefore, your passport need remain valid only for the duration of your stay in the United States.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 1:17 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Patzy
I am not sure that is the case. This is from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office if travelling from US to UK:

Does my British passport have to be valid for six months beyond my date of departure from the United States?

No, if your passport is not valid for at least six months beyond your date of departure from the United States, it will not affect your eligibility to travel. The United States has an agreement with the United Kingdom automatically extending the validity of a passport for six months past the passport's expiration date. Therefore, your passport need remain valid only for the duration of your stay in the United States.
If you read that again, you'll see it doesn't mean that people can use an expired passport. It just means that the passport can be used with less than 6 months remaining.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 3:06 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patzy

Try getting on a plane with any expired passport and let me know. I have had passengers declined boarding, their bags did not even get onto the scale.

What your quote refers to is some countries require you have a passport with a certain number of months remaining on your passport past the end of your trip, others have a reciprocal agreement. Some countries require 6 months others 3, if you try entering these countries with less than that period remaining you would be detained by immigration and then deported.

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 21st 2009 at 3:09 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I did that once, no probs, and I saw a Brit/Kiwi do it the previous Xmas (in fact it was seeing her doing it that made me figure I'd try it). I've renewed now ( and it the std turnaround for my British passport was 10 days quicker than the so-called 'fast' and extra $$ option when renewing my Australian passport, but then I've become used to substandard service living in Oz so long!).

It probably depends how long your Brit passport is out of date, 6mths or more would be taking the piss IMO.
It's what a German friend of mine describes as the wonderful flexibility of British bureaucrats ....let's face it, if it's their passport and they obviously are British...what difference does it make what date is on the passport? And the best thing of all...no money changed hands....
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was assuming that we are talking about a person that has an expired Brit passport and using it to enter UK, have left their port of origin on another passport. You can do this because, as I've said, I've done it. But you'd be silly to try using an expired passport for your whole trip IMO. Like Aviator says, can't see how you'd be allowed to board at all.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I was assuming that we are talking about a person that has an expired Brit passport and using it to enter UK, have left their port of origin on another passport. You can do this because, as I've said, I've done it. But you'd be silly to try using an expired passport for your whole trip IMO. Like Aviator says, can't see how you'd be allowed to board at all.

I want to be sure I have this right. If I have a US passport, and I leave the USA on it to make a one way trip back to the UK (relocating) and my British passport has only a couple of months before expiration........will I have any problems?
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aes1
I want to be sure I have this right. If I have a US passport, and I leave the USA on it to make a one way trip back to the UK (relocating) and my British passport has only a couple of months before expiration........will I have any problems?
Well I wouldn't have thought so, as I entered the UK on a passport that was 2mths expired. With a couple of mths left to run I would have thought you'd be fine. It may come down to who you get on the gate though. I always fly into Term 1 via Korea and it's usually like a ghost town compared to other terminals.

Flying into Term 4 or 5 might have more of a jobsworth on Customs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.