Expired infinite leave to remain

Old Oct 3rd 2018, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

billtaggart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expired infinite leave to remain

I'm a UK citizen and my wife is American. We lived in the UK in the 80's when she got an ILR (we still have the passports with the stamp). We're looking to relocate back to the UK now for family reasons. The question is should she apply to renew her ILR or should she apply for a 2.5 year visa? Is there any downside to either (especially the former)? Any help would be gratefully received. Thank
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 6:58 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expired infinite leave to remain

When did your wife leave the UK? How many years did she live in the UK?
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billtaggart
I'm a UK citizen and my wife is American. We lived in the UK in the 80's when she got an ILR (we still have the passports with the stamp). We're looking to relocate back to the UK now for family reasons. The question is should she apply to renew her ILR or should she apply for a 2.5 year visa? Is there any downside to either (especially the former)? Any help would be gratefully received. Thank

You lived in the UK in the 80's? You have not lived in the UK for 30 years?
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for getting back to me. She left in 1988 with me. I know they expire after 2 years but wondered if reapplying for one made sense (or opened up a bag of worms) or just to go the usual visa route.
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 7:06 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

She can apply for a Returning Resident visa but it’s very unlikely it will be granted if she left the UK 30 years ago. Does she have any non-American heritage - parents or grandparents born outside the US? What year did you marry?
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

That's kind of what I was figuring
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

My husband was granted ILR in 1999 but we left the following year, hoping to return soon when we (or rather he!) had made enough money to live off indefinitely. Sadly things got in the way, like serious illness, and we only returned in 2014, when we applied for a spousal visa which was granted. We did look at the possibility of a Returning Resident but realized we had been away for too long.
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for this. And yes, life has a habit of getting in the way doesn't it. I think that's settles it. One other question - apart from knowing you actually have a visa before you go is there any advantage to applying outside vs inside the UK?
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 11:56 pm

Thanks for this. And yes, life has a habit of getting in the way doesn't it. I think that's settles it. One other question - apart from knowing you actually have a visa before you go is there any advantage to applying outside vs inside the UK?
You can’t apply from within the UK. Your wife would need to apply for the US. If you could answer my questions however then we might be able to find a cheaper and simpler solution for her.
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

go for it and thanks
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 11:58 pm

go for it and thanks
Sounds like you missed them - see post #5.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 12:00 am
Just Joined

I did miss that. No she has no UK relatives and we've been married over 30 years
Old Oct 4th 2018, 12:11 am

I did miss that. No she has no UK relatives and we've been married over 30 years
Any parents or grandparents not born in the United States? If not then which country? Were you married before or after 1983?
Old Oct 4th 2018, 12:14 am
Just Joined

grandparents - one born in italy one in china. before 1983
Old Oct 4th 2018, 12:14 am
Just Joined

she's looked into getting an italian passport but doesn't have all the supporting info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.