Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Old May 3rd 2014, 9:51 am
Codename:ID10t

DJElectricDaddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Originally Posted by 37100
https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

This Windsong. I don't know what type of passport application you made, but it is not needed for a simple renewal. A passport that has expired more than 10 years ago is treated a new application.
FYI my simple renewal application has taken me over three months and waiting to complete because apparently I needed a photo countersigned, even though the help file says not. The letter explaining I need a countersignatory mysteriously got lost while I’m sat here twiddling thumbs.

Pretty bloody annoying and frustrating!!!

With hindsight I would countersign and photos just in case.
Old May 3rd 2014, 10:34 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DJElectricDaddy
FYI my simple renewal application has taken me over three months and waiting to complete because apparently I needed a photo countersigned, even though the help file says not. The letter explaining I need a countersignatory mysteriously got lost while I’m sat here twiddling thumbs.

Had you altered that much! I needed my photo countersigned and I did enclose a copy of the countersignatory's passport. He was not contacted. Still took 9 weeks to arrive.
Old May 3rd 2014, 5:58 pm
Codename:ID10t

DJElectricDaddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Had you altered that much! I needed my photo countersigned and I did enclose a copy of the countersignatory's passport. He was not contacted. Still took 9 weeks to arrive.
The last passport was from 2001. Its 13 years so my hair is greyer, my eyes baggyer and my chin a little wobblyer. I generally look 13 years older. But no my features are totally identifiably the same.
Old May 3rd 2014, 6:59 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

The last passport was from 2001. Its 13 years so my hair is greyer, my eyes baggyer and my chin a little wobblyer. I generally look 13 years older. But no my features are totally identifiably the same.
When I look in the mirror I see the same person I was 10 or so years ago. Having only just renewed my passport when it was stolen, my photo was identical.
Old May 5th 2014, 5:32 am
Just Joined

dan455 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vexcore
Nah, i never did any of that why would i need to go to Beijing Visa centre?

I've just noticed now.... on that link you gave me!, it's totally changed... when i sent of my sons passport application it told me to print it off and send it to Liverpool.

Now i check that link they have completely changed the rules? send it to Beijing visa centre? WTF why send it to a visa centre? its a Fu**king passport application....

That better not Delay my sons application otherwise hell fire and brimstone will be unleashed... i did exactly what the website told me to do

1: Print off forums
2: Send to Liverpool passport office
3: They took payment
4: Wait.....

But now that link says send it to UK visa centre in Beijing? no chance in hell im gonna do that... im not taken another flight to pick up the documents back n forth back n forth this is disgusting.

***EDIT***

I've just noticed at the bottom of the page it says 'Last updated: 29 April 2014' - Sent my sons application off on the 31st of march, but the date on application is 27th.

That's why the page told me to send to liverpool (they took payment) - so i should come in under the old rules. - Seems this visa centre/beijing is the new method for people in china which looks like it is recent change 29th of April?
hey, any more news on your sons passport? i'm in the same boat as you, i applied under the old rules for a passport for my daughter, i'm in china too

website used to say 'download forms, send to liverpool, wait and receive passport', anyway i sent it away on the 13th of march, received on the 15th, payment taken the 17th, havent heard anything about it since

also good luck if you want to try find out any information, the only thing you can do is call the passport advice line, who will tell you that all they can do is send an email to the liverpool office, without an application number theres nothing you can do they say, and since i downloaded the forms and sent them myself, theres no application number to speak off... anyway after they sent the email, i got an email back saying someone will call me to discuss it, still waiting... call them again and they will 'escalate' your enquiry, although that didnt seem to help me much...

im also worried how everything on that website has changed, and now everyone must go to the uk visa application centre for an interview, and the passport will be sent back to that visa application centre... here's hoping i'll get some news this week and it will be sent straight to my home in china soon...
Old May 5th 2014, 5:33 am
Just Joined

if your letter got lost, do you mind telling us how you find out there was a problem?
Old May 5th 2014, 11:36 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan455
hey, any more news on your sons passport? i'm in the same boat as you, i applied under the old rules for a passport for my daughter, i'm in china too

website used to say 'download forms, send to liverpool, wait and receive passport', anyway i sent it away on the 13th of march, received on the 15th, payment taken the 17th, havent heard anything about it since

also good luck if you want to try find out any information, the only thing you can do is call the passport advice line, who will tell you that all they can do is send an email to the liverpool office, without an application number theres nothing you can do they say, and since i downloaded the forms and sent them myself, theres no application number to speak off... anyway after they sent the email, i got an email back saying someone will call me to discuss it, still waiting... call them again and they will 'escalate' your enquiry, although that didnt seem to help me much...

im also worried how everything on that website has changed, and now everyone must go to the uk visa application centre for an interview, and the passport will be sent back to that visa application centre... here's hoping i'll get some news this week and it will be sent straight to my home in china soon...

No passport mate, i replied to you in the other thread,

Good luck to you too!
Old May 6th 2014, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

This Windsong. I don't know what type of passport application you made, but it is not needed for a simple renewal. A passport that has expired more than 10 years ago is treated a new application.
Now I am in a real bind! I just moved to a new area in the USA and have only been here a couple of months so no one here has known me longer than that, never mind someone who holds a British passport (see below), so who on earth can countersign my passport application? (The old one expired 10+ years ago).

Quote from the instructions:

<<Where you’re applying from

If you’re applying in the UK, the countersignatory must:

live in the UK
have a current British or Irish passport

If you’re applying from outside the UK, they must have a current British, Irish or other EU, US or Commonwealth passport. But your application will be processed more quickly if they have a British or Irish passport.

When they hold a US, Commonwealth or other EU (not British or Irish) passport, they must provide a colour photocopy of the page with their photograph on it. This must be included with the countersigned application.>>

Last edited by windsong; May 6th 2014 at 4:04 am.
Old May 6th 2014, 4:16 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Now I am in a real bind! I just moved to a new area in the USA and have only been here a couple of months so no one here has known me longer than that, never mind someone who holds a British passport (see below), so who on earth can countersign my passport application? (The old one expired 10+ years ago).

Quote from the instructions:

<<Where you’re applying from

If you’re applying in the UK, the countersignatory must:

live in the UK
have a current British or Irish passport

If you’re applying from outside the UK, they must have a current British, Irish or other EU, US or Commonwealth passport. But your application will be processed more quickly if they have a British or Irish passport.

When they hold a US, Commonwealth or other EU (not British or Irish) passport, they must provide a colour photocopy of the page with their photograph on it. This must be included with the countersigned application.>>
ITS BULL

If you’re applying from outside the UK, they must have a current British, Irish or other EU, US or Commonwealth passport

ITS BULL
Old May 6th 2014, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Oh what fun! I tried to pay with my bank's debit card and it said it was refused by my financial institution. There's plenty of money in my account so why won't the passport app site take my card?
Old May 6th 2014, 6:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by windsong
Oh what fun! I tried to pay with my bank's debit card and it said it was refused by my financial institution. There's plenty of money in my account so why won't the passport app site take my card?
Actually it sounds like the passport app site did accept your card, however it was your bank who rejected the payment. Could be because they're being extra cautious and don't want a company from another country taking payments from your account...

I had to call my bank before I applied for my daughters passport ( chinese bank card was used ) and tell them to allow transactions from UK, we had problems where it was rejected before
Old May 6th 2014, 9:09 am
Concierge

ITS BULL

If you’re applying from outside the UK, they must have a current British, Irish or other EU, US or Commonwealth passport

ITS BULL
Vexore, it might be different for China, but when I printed off the declaration page (the one with the ref number on it), the form only had 'British, Irish or other, US or Commonwealth passport' and the signee has to cross out the non-relevent countries, add the number of his passport, and sign.
Old May 6th 2014, 10:32 am
Looking Around~

Vexore, it might be different for China, but when I printed off the declaration page (the one with the ref number on it), the form only had 'British, Irish or other, US or Commonwealth passport' and the signee has to cross out the non-relevent countries, add the number of his passport, and sign.
Nah it isn't, it's the same passport form we all use 'the OS' one

i still used a chinese national for my counter sign,

one poster on here uses a south korean dude and he got a passport for his daughter

it said on the form for me MUST BE UK/USA/EU passport holder

but it is indeed 'BULL' im sure of it.
Old May 6th 2014, 10:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

one poster on here uses a south korean dude and he got a passport for his daughter

Its fine until they decide to do a dipcheck and actually check who has countersigned things.........
People should follow the instructions for renewal from the country they are in and submit what is required.

========================

Now, a little request...
Please could you a) moderate your language a little and b) not encourage people to submit documents that do not meet requirements. 99 times out of a 100 they may be ok, but if someone decides to check up .....
Old May 6th 2014, 10:53 am
Concierge

Not sure it would be 'bull' if you fill in the on-line form. Especially if you send an application from the US as the poster is. Might be hard to convince the HMPO that you do not know a suitable passport holder.

Sending you good vibes for your passport application. It must surely arrive soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.