Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Old Apr 28th 2014, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Originally Posted by tuckersworld
Renewal from US is relatively straight forward and simple...
https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Thank you. That takes me to this link -

https://passportapplication.service.gov.uk/ips-olc/

It seems we have to do the app on line now? Six months ago it was a paper application. I wonder if I am at the right place.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:14 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 9810rachel
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback, doesn't sound promising for me then I'm in Finland and I believe mine has gone to the Liverpool office and shows no sign of returning.. looks like I will be losing my flights. My fault for booking but still the service leaves a lot to be desired.
Should have said that mine was a replacement passport. Estimated time, st least 6 weeks. For a renewal, you could just make it in time.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 12:58 am
Just Joined

AndrewInBradfordCanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by windsong
Thank you. That takes me to this link -

https://passportapplication.service.gov.uk/ips-olc/

It seems we have to do the app on line now? Six months ago it was a paper application. I wonder if I am at the right place.

All passports are done using the online application process. You apply on line using the application and pay online using a credit card. After you have completed the application, you print off a copy and sent it in to the address provided with all your documents. It will also give you a username and password to track application. Do not try to log in with wrong password more then three times in total as it will lock you out and you cannot reset it. Make sure you submit a copy of your guarantors passport picture and observations page. I didn't and it took and extra few weeks as they sent me a letter asking for it.

With the delay it took me about 8 weeks to receive it. But it is a minimum of at least 6 weeks as stated on the website.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 4:30 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndrewInBradfordCanada
All passports are done using the online application process. You apply on line using the application and pay online using a credit card. After you have completed the application, you print off a copy and sent it in to the address provided with all your documents. It will also give you a username and password to track application. Do not try to log in with wrong password more then three times in total as it will lock you out and you cannot reset it. Make sure you submit a copy of your guarantors passport picture and observations page. I didn't and it took and extra few weeks as they sent me a letter asking for it.

With the delay it took me about 8 weeks to receive it. But it is a minimum of at least 6 weeks as stated on the website.
Not all countries use that 'online service' - People need to remember that.

so you got it in 8 weeks? not bad.
Old May 2nd 2014, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

johno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Vexcore
Not all countries use that 'online service' - People need to remember that.

so you got it in 8 weeks? not bad.
Did you go in person for your kids first visa application in China for interview or just print and send. Checking on the GOV website first time applicants must go for interview in one of the local passport offices (mine in GZ)

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passport...ng/child/china

Also the passport will be returned to that office where the interview took place for pick up.
I am wondering if this is a new thing to help speed up the process. I didnt see you state on any other threads you took your kid for the interview.
Old May 2nd 2014, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

johno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant future

Sorry i missed the part it said first ADULT not child application.
cant see why a kid cant go that way too.... Nevermind
Old May 2nd 2014, 11:06 pm
Codename:ID10t

DJElectricDaddy is an unknown quantity at this point

So that is my experience. A bit confusing and I think the needs to be a lot of work that is needed on the UK side of things if they want to make it more smooth of a process and want everyone to mail the applications to the UK.

Yeah Andrew, my experience is not much better (I still have no passport and the letter asking for more info never arrived, and getting answers has been infuriatingly slow).

I’m with you that the whole operation needs to be made more user friendly.
Old May 2nd 2014, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

tuckersworld is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the USA and you seriously want to talk about non user friendly? I recently have applied to renew my Green Card...I was told waiting time to get said new card?....9 months ...9 weeks seems like a drop in the bucket.
Old May 3rd 2014, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by tuckersworld
Welcome to the USA and you seriously want to talk about non user friendly? I recently have applied to renew my Green Card...I was told waiting time to get said new card?....9 months ...9 weeks seems like a drop in the bucket.
Really! Thats crazy. When I renewed mine 5 years ago I got a letter in the mail telling me to go to this office at this time on this day. Sat in the waiting room for an hour, got my photo taken, and was out the door and done. I was surprised at how painless it was.

Why is your renewal so long? Are all the civil servants on furlough again
Old May 3rd 2014, 1:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DJElectricDaddy
Really! Thats crazy. When I renewed mine 5 years ago I got a letter in the mail telling me to go to this office at this time on this day. Sat in the waiting room for an hour, got my photo taken, and was out the door and done. I was surprised at how painless it was.
That can't have been the whole process, because you still would have needed to wait for the card in the mail.

Why is your renewal so long? Are all the civil servants on furlough again
Green card renewal is low priority, normally. Processing times are at:
https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplayInit.do

Last edited by JAJ; May 3rd 2014 at 1:09 am.
Old May 3rd 2014, 1:31 am

Yeah true I did wait for the card in the mail, but as I recall it was only a couple of weeks.

It still felt really quick and easy compared to the original application process.
Old May 3rd 2014, 3:57 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johno5175
Did you go in person for your kids first visa application in China for interview or just print and send. Checking on the GOV website first time applicants must go for interview in one of the local passport offices (mine in GZ)

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passport...ng/child/china

Also the passport will be returned to that office where the interview took place for pick up.
I am wondering if this is a new thing to help speed up the process. I didnt see you state on any other threads you took your kid for the interview.
Nah, i never did any of that why would i need to go to Beijing Visa centre?

I've just noticed now.... on that link you gave me!, it's totally changed... when i sent of my sons passport application it told me to print it off and send it to Liverpool.

Now i check that link they have completely changed the rules? send it to Beijing visa centre? WTF why send it to a visa centre? its a Fu**king passport application....

That better not Delay my sons application otherwise hell fire and brimstone will be unleashed... i did exactly what the website told me to do

1: Print off forums
2: Send to Liverpool passport office
3: They took payment
4: Wait.....

But now that link says send it to UK visa centre in Beijing? no chance in hell im gonna do that... im not taken another flight to pick up the documents back n forth back n forth this is disgusting.

***EDIT***

I've just noticed at the bottom of the page it says 'Last updated: 29 April 2014' - Sent my sons application off on the 31st of march, but the date on application is 27th.

That's why the page told me to send to liverpool (they took payment) - so i should come in under the old rules. - Seems this visa centre/beijing is the new method for people in china which looks like it is recent change 29th of April?

Last edited by Vexcore; May 3rd 2014 at 4:04 am.
Old May 3rd 2014, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Can you tell me what this is?
Old May 3rd 2014, 7:50 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Can you tell me what this is?
https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

This Windsong. I don't know what type of passport application you made, but it is not needed for a simple renewal. A passport that has expired more than 10 years ago is treated a new application.
Old May 3rd 2014, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vexcore
Nah, i never did any of that why would i need to go to Beijing Visa centre?

I've just noticed now.... on that link you gave me!, it's totally changed... when i sent of my sons passport application it told me to print it off and send it to Liverpool.

Now i check that link they have completely changed the rules? send it to Beijing visa centre? WTF why send it to a visa centre? its a Fu**king passport application....

That better not Delay my sons application otherwise hell fire and brimstone will be unleashed... i did exactly what the website told me to do

1: Print off forums
2: Send to Liverpool passport office
3: They took payment
4: Wait.....

But now that link says send it to UK visa centre in Beijing? no chance in hell im gonna do that... im not taken another flight to pick up the documents back n forth back n forth this is disgusting.

***EDIT***

I've just noticed at the bottom of the page it says 'Last updated: 29 April 2014' - Sent my sons application off on the 31st of march, but the date on application is 27th.

That's why the page told me to send to liverpool (they took payment) - so i should come in under the old rules. - Seems this visa centre/beijing is the new method for people in china which looks like it is recent change 29th of April?
You will be fine if you did it before the changed date, you should still be under the send it to liverpool rule.
The pick up it seems is if yo go do the intervew say in BJ then you pick it up from there. Also depends where in China you are, they have offices is Beijing, guangzhou, Chongqing and a few others.

I would rather go in person to the office and sort it that way, prob speeds up the process. I
Will know when i get my birth certificate and then can begin the process.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.