Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Old Mar 21st 2015, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Originally Posted by xocomil
We are in Guatemala and need to renew my daughters passport.

I'm a bit confused by Supporting Documents Table A.

It states "All applicants must provide one document showing photo identity and one document as evidence of name and address and/or residency dated within the last year."

Do the "Name and address and/or residency evidence" refer to records from the country you're temporarily residing in (in our case Guatemala)?

If that is the case, submitting her UK passport along with a color photocopy of her Guatemalan passport (with entry stamp within past year) would meet these requirements correct?

I was worried they were referring to proof of UK residency ...

Thanks!
No. The residency evidence is clearly indicated on the supporting documents list. They need something proving your address in Guatamala such as letters from official bodies etc. A passport stamp purely shows you arrived in that country , not where you are living. My son has just sent his passport for renewal and although living here for a few years, has no written correspondence that met the requirements, other than maybe letters from his UK pension provider. We just went down to the local City Hall and obtained a residence certificate showing his address here, passport number, DOB and local tax number. I don't know what is available in guatamala to certify where you live but there must be something!

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...cs3AUG2014.PDF

Page 3 has details.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 4:09 am
Just Joined

xocomil is an unknown quantity at this point

Quiltman. This is the webpage that my application process referred to:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...cs2AUG2014.PDF

The list includes:

• visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

Surely a Guatemalan passport is proof of residency no? It specifies proof of "Name and address AND/OR residency evidence".

There is also this:

• educational record eg school report

I could ask the small private school that he attends to write up a letter stating our address, etc.

And one final thing. I also need to renew my UK passport. I work for a company based in the US. Do you suppose they could write a letter of employment, with my Guatemalan address included (along with Passport number, DOB, etc)?

I don't remember having to include this sort of documentation a few years back ...

Thanks!
Old Mar 21st 2015, 9:39 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xocomil
Quiltman. This is the webpage that my application process referred to:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...cs2AUG2014.PDF

The list includes:

• visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

Surely a Guatemalan passport is proof of residency no? It specifies proof of "Name and address AND/OR residency evidence".

There is also this:

• educational record eg school report

I could ask the small private school that he attends to write up a letter stating our address, etc.

And one final thing. I also need to renew my UK passport. I work for a company based in the US. Do you suppose they could write a letter of employment, with my Guatemalan address included (along with Passport number, DOB, etc)?

I don't remember having to include this sort of documentation a few years back ...

Thanks!
No, a passport is not enough. A letter from the school should be enough. It is when applying from Italy. As is a letter of employment for you.

No, in past, all this documentation wasn't necessary.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the information.

I have one more question:

Is there anything from the online application that you need to include in the information that is sent off by post (passports and supporting documents) to the passport office in London?

I ask because there could be a few weeks delay between the date I complete the online application and the time the passports/supporting documents arrive at the passport office in the UK (I need to send my soon to be expired UK passport somewhere else in the UK before having it sent to the passport office - needed to show proof of identity for an investment).

Alternatively, I could send off the passports and supporting documents to family in the UK, then fill out the application when the passports a few weeks later when they're ready to be sent into the office.

Hope that's clear.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 4:19 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite sure what you mean, but if I remember rightly, you have 12 weeks to send your passport and docs. I received an email after 1month reminding me to send them. My delay was caused by a translation lost in the Italian postal system.

I don't know if the British Consul is convenient for you, but you can get a free 1 year extension on your passport.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

37100 - That answers my question perfectly. 12 weeks after filling out online application is more than enough time.

1 year extension is great except for one thing ... US does not allow UK residents with one year extensions in passports to apply for Visa Waiver, which means applying for a visit visa ... another headache and costly. Hard to avoid flying through US if you're not going south.

Thanks a million!
Old Mar 26th 2015, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

JW1973 is an unknown quantity at this point

Update
Child First Passport Application from South Africa. Let's see how this goes

Application submitted online: 27.02.2015
Declaration form posted: 03.03.2015 (Postnet - DHL)
Form received at HMPO Durham: 05.03.2015
Online update to "processing": 06.03.2015
Passport dispatched: 26.03.2015
Passport received: Waiting
Supporting documents received: Waiting

So far much better than I had anticipated. The website told me to allow at least 12 weeks for processing - it has taken just under three
Old Mar 29th 2015, 3:59 am
Just Joined

EdenPhilly is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

I have dual citizenship to the UK and NZ. I am currently living in NZ and wanting to move back to the UK. My UK passport has expired, and I called the embassy and asked if I needed to renew it to come back to the UK permanently or could I just travel on my NZ passport and renew my UK passport after I had landed. They said it would be fine to travel on my NZ passport only. Has anyone had experiences like this before? I'm just a bit anxious as when I recently went on holiday to the UK and had proof of my return flight, the customs agent was very skeptical to let me in and told me to bring my UK passport with me next time.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Well here's experience from the Philippines.

Online application 10-03-2015
documents couriered to UK 12-03-2015
Entered on HMPO system 17-03-2015
shown as despatched 21-03-2015
Received here 26-03-2015
supporting documents received 28 -03-2015.

That's good service!
Old Mar 29th 2015, 9:43 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EdenPhilly
Hi everyone,

I have dual citizenship to the UK and NZ. I am currently living in NZ and wanting to move back to the UK. My UK passport has expired, and I called the embassy and asked if I needed to renew it to come back to the UK permanently or could I just travel on my NZ passport and renew my UK passport after I had landed. They said it would be fine to travel on my NZ passport only. Has anyone had experiences like this before? I'm just a bit anxious as when I recently went on holiday to the UK and had proof of my return flight, the customs agent was very skeptical to let me in and told me to bring my UK passport with me next time.
Read the long answer here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad.../#post11605154

The short answer is ought to renew your passport before you go if your intention is to move back permanently.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 8:46 am
Just Joined

JW1973 is an unknown quantity at this point

Update
Child First Passport Application from South Africa. Let's see how this goes

Application submitted online: 27.02.2015
Declaration form posted: 03.03.2015 (Postnet - DHL)
Form received at HMPO Durham: 05.03.2015
Online update to "processing": 06.03.2015
Passport dispatched: 26.03.2015
Passport received: 30.03.2015
Supporting documents received: 30.03.2015
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

TanyaGr is an unknown quantity at this point

paid 321 euros for it hope it come soon apply online my family in scottland tell me it will takes 3 weeks i think it will be like 6 weeks or more is a renewal red passport expired 5 years. online apply finish 24/3 send them over 30/3 envelope delivered too uk 1/4 ....
Old Apr 4th 2015, 2:28 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TanyaGr
paid 321 euros for it hope it come soon apply online my family in scottland tell me it will takes 3 weeks i think it will be like 6 weeks or more is a renewal red passport expired 5 years. online apply finish 24/3 send them over 30/3 envelope delivered too uk 1/4 ....
The cost of renewing an adult British passport from Greece is £102.86 (~€140). If you've paid €321 then you have likely been scammed. The official website is:

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passport...wing_new/adult
Old Apr 4th 2015, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The cost of renewing an adult British passport from Greece is £102.86 (~€140). If you've paid €321 then you have likely been scammed. The official website is:

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passport...wing_new/adult
I add the money for the translate documents as well 151euros wash passport only I get the jumbo and safe one
Old Apr 4th 2015, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

https://passportapplication.service.gov.uk/ips-olc/
This the website I apply.

I add the money for the translates as well.
£110.86 I paid for the passport
48 jumbo passport and safe delivery

(110.86 GBP = 150.92 EUR)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.