Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Old Jul 15th 2014, 11:59 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Originally Posted by bola14
can anyone pls tell me if am expected to staple the my passport forms together with the passport photo stapled to it too or I just put everything inside the envelop? I found no mention of it on the form, thanks
No, somewhere in the instructions it said not to staple the forms and only fold once. I used a paper clip for the form and put the photos in an small envelope.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

MD1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, if this is the wrong forum to post on i apologize.

Im a uk citizen and live in Canada and my daughter accidently burned my passport when we were burning old documents in the wood fire at home.

I am in the process of renewing my passport but i was looking for some assistance on the actual lost/stolen form and if section 03 needs to be filled out as it was neither lost nor stolen.

I know there is a massive backlog in the UK with passport applications so i wanted it done right the first time.

Again if this is the wrong forum to post on can you point me in the right direction.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

cityboys1911 is on a distinguished road

ok if you are renewing your UK passport do you need to send your US passport as well we live in the US and are US citizens why do they need your US passport ????
Old Jul 17th 2014, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cityboys1911
ok if you are renewing your UK passport do you need to send your US passport as well we live in the US and are US citizens why do they need your US passport ????
They say they need the actual passport - nobody on here actually sends it in. Send a colour photocopy of ALL pages in the passport, including the front and back cover, along with a covering letter explaining you need to keep the US passport for travel/work/whatever excuse.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 8:10 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MD1981
Hi there, if this is the wrong forum to post on i apologize.

Im a uk citizen and live in Canada and my daughter accidently burned my passport when we were burning old documents in the wood fire at home.

I am in the process of renewing my passport but i was looking for some assistance on the actual lost/stolen form and if section 03 needs to be filled out as it was neither lost nor stolen.

I know there is a massive backlog in the UK with passport applications so i wanted it done right the first time.

Again if this is the wrong forum to post on can you point me in the right direction.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Tick the 'Other' box and then complete Section 3, i.e. date, location and circumstances ("Burnt accidentally when destroying old documents in fireplace")

Originally Posted by cityboys1911
Originally Posted by Gozit
They say they need the actual passport - nobody on here actually sends it in. Send a colour photocopy of ALL pages in the passport, including the front and back cover, along with a covering letter explaining you need to keep the US passport for travel/work/whatever excuse.
I wouldn't even photocopy the whole passport - just a good quality colour photocopy of the biodata page with a note saying you have retained the original for travel purposes.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 2:28 am
Just Joined

cuteandconfused is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I currently live in the US. I have duel citizenship as my father is an American and my mother is Anglo-Irish.
I was born in England, lived there for 3 years, and traveled on my mother's British passport as a child. I also acquired a Irish passport and have lived in Ireland.

I recently married an American and we wish to move to Ireland.

My question is can I buy a one way ticket to the UK (to visit friends and family, and perhaps work temporarily before I move to Ireland) and travel on my American passport?

It says on my US passport I was born in the UK and I can travel with copies of my birth certificate, my mother's birth certificate and a copy of her expired British passport if necessary.

I am in the process of acquiring my British passport. But it won't be ready in time.

My husband will not be traveling with me at this time.
I plan to acquire my British passport in the UK, and perhaps work temporarily to save money. Then move to Ireland with my husband.

Will this be okay and can I explain this to immigration at the airport when I arrive??
Old Jul 25th 2014, 5:40 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cuteandconfused
Hello,

I currently live in the US. I have duel citizenship as my father is an American and my mother is Anglo-Irish.
I was born in England, lived there for 3 years, and traveled on my mother's British passport as a child. I also acquired a Irish passport and have lived in Ireland.

My question is can I buy a one way ticket to the UK (to visit friends and family, and perhaps work temporarily before I move to Ireland) and travel on my American passport?

It says on my US passport I was born in the UK and I can travel with copies of my birth certificate, my mother's birth certificate and a copy of her expired British passport if necessary.

I am in the process of acquiring my British passport. But it won't be ready in time.

I plan to acquire my British passport in the UK, and perhaps work temporarily to save money. Then move to Ireland with my husband.

Will this be okay and can I explain this to immigration at the airport when I arrive??
Mods, there appears to be a BE 'glitch', as my email notification of the above post stated 'windsong has just replied blah blah'.. I thought that maybe windsong had posted and then deleted her message, but that would show up on the thread. How very..........strange
Old Jul 25th 2014, 6:03 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I think there is a glitch SoS.

Earlier , I moved Windsong's latest posts & the responses into this dedicated thread yet when I have moved to respond in that thread, it shows as though I would be responding in here.

Hopefully it will right itself but I will report to tech.

....edit...
this post has appeared in the correct place.
....edit...
the dedicated thread is still taking me to here. I shall try to insert my post by quoting an early post within that dedicated thread and then deleting that quote within my post.

Nightmares and sorry for the bother folks.

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 25th 2014 at 6:06 am. Reason: Argh! Moved posts still attached to previous threads.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 9:31 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I think there is a glitch SoS.

Earlier , I moved Windsong's latest posts & the responses into this dedicated thread yet when I have moved to respond in that thread, it shows as though I would be responding in here.

Hopefully it will right itself but I will report to tech.

....edit...
this post has appeared in the correct place.
....edit...
the dedicated thread is still taking me to here. I shall try to insert my post by quoting an early post within that dedicated thread and then deleting that quote within my post.

Nightmares and sorry for the bother folks.
Thanks BEVS, nice to know it's the mods going doolaly and not me

I'd be asking for a pay rise if I were you!
Old Jul 25th 2014, 9:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Thanks BEVS, nice to know it's the mods going doolaly and not me

I'd be asking for a pay rise if I were you!
I was always doolally from inception. In this case it is the 'update' thingy. All sorts are happening
Old Jul 25th 2014, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cuteandconfused
Hello,

Its possible, but my advice is to apply for an Irish passport whilst in the US and use that to get to the UK. It will arrive much faster than your UK passport at the moment, and you won't have troubles when entering the UK as an Irish citizen has the exact same rights as a UK citizen in the UK. Plus its always good to have another passport... I'm guessing you're triple nationality though, not dual as you said in your post, seeing as it seems you are eligible for US,UK,and Irish passports.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh, and there are other posters on here who have done what you said, entering with a US passport, BUT, they had return tickets. Bottom line, airlines will NOT let you board on a one way ticket with only a US passport. They don't care about birth certificates, expired passports, etc. You'll need a VALID UK/Irish/other EU passport to board a one way flight to the UK. Because the airlines don't want to assume the risk of UKBA denying you entry and then the airline has to bring you back to the US at their expense. They won't assume that risk, hence whey they need proof you have the right to live in the UK via a valid UK/Irish/other EU passport.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 3:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and there are other posters on here who have done what you said, entering with a US passport, BUT, they had return tickets. Bottom line, airlines will NOT let you board on a one way ticket with only a US passport. They don't care about birth certificates, expired passports, etc. You'll need a VALID UK/Irish/other EU passport to board a one way flight to the UK. Because the airlines don't want to assume the risk of UKBA denying you entry and then the airline has to bring you back to the US at their expense. They won't assume that risk, hence whey they need proof you have the right to live in the UK via a valid UK/Irish/other EU passport.
Buy a return ticket is quite often cheaper than buying a one way ticket. Therefore most people on here buy a return then cancel the return ticket after their flight. Some have reported that a portion of the taxes and fees have been refunded.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Buy a return ticket is quite often cheaper than buying a one way ticket. Therefore most people on here buy a return then cancel the return ticket after their flight. Some have reported that a portion of the taxes and fees have been refunded.
True, but cuteandconfused mentioned she would travel on a one way, which is why I posted that bit
Old Jul 26th 2014, 2:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Really? Except that the United Kingdom does not mandate a return ticket for those arriving as tourists.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.