Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Old May 30th 2014, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

britinegypt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

What a disaster!
Today, after more calls and mails, and promised 72 hour callbacks i received an e-mail that they require more documents as proof of residence (despite including my sons school reports as requested with the original application)
Its now 10 weeks, that is 10 weeks to ask me for more information!!
How do i find out the contact details of my MP?
thanks
Old May 30th 2014, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

boogster is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britinegypt
What a disaster!
Today, after more calls and mails, and promised 72 hour callbacks i received an e-mail that they require more documents as proof of residence (despite including my sons school reports as requested with the original application)
Its now 10 weeks, that is 10 weeks to ask me for more information!!
How do i find out the contact details of my MP?
thanks
Put a post code in here http://findyourmp.parliament.uk/ I used my parents old one from years ago.

That is crazy ! I was fearful of your scenario too. I don't understand why they don't check the documents when they arrive ! That way it stops situations like yours and also lets them get on with ones that are ok.
Old May 30th 2014, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

britinegypt is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! I've written to my MP now, lets see if it helps!
Old May 31st 2014, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I am not going to wait around ten weeks before writing to an MP. I plan to send in my supporting documents (next week) and will write to an MP immediately stating circumstances (passport in for renewal, etc.), telling him that what is happening is a national disgrace and that something needs to be done to rectify it.
Old May 31st 2014, 9:31 am
Just Joined

deelink is an unknown quantity at this point

I have now waited close to eleven weeks. I wrote to my MP four weeks ago and have yet to receive a response, let alone a result. I tried to use the phone number given on the UK Gov website and was kept on hold for 5 hours. It cost me $80 and I never got through - my phone ran out of charge before my call was connected to one of the representatives.

If I don't get my passport next week I won't be able to travel o/seas as planned. Not happy!!!
Old May 31st 2014, 2:04 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Not that'll be any consolation to those on here waiting but I've just renewed my passport in the UK and I though it might prove interesting compared to the overseas experience.

Given all the negative publicity regarding delays at the moment I decided to use the Fast Track service after speaking to the Passport Adviceline as I have a trip booked to Berlin in June.

I paid £111 as I opted for the 48 page 'jumbo' booklet as it was less than £10 extra compared to the 32 page regular booklet when using Fast Track (£103). This compares to £94.25 if applying via the Post Office's Check and Send service or £85.50 if applying online or by post. Fast Track guarantees your passport will arrive within a week.

I attended my appointment at Globe House next to Victoria station on Wednesday morning and my new passport has just been posted through my door so only a four day turnaround. The actual issue date was the 29th so it was turned around within 24 hours of application.

Last edited by BritInParis; May 31st 2014 at 2:13 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

makhtar is an unknown quantity at this point

My application has been with the Liverpool office for almost 10 weeks now and still nothing. Applying for my son's first passport. Trying to plan holiday back to the UK however I don't know if his passport will arrive on time.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Not that'll be any consolation to those on here waiting but I've just renewed my passport in the UK and I though it might prove interesting compared to the overseas experience.

Given all the negative publicity regarding delays at the moment I decided to use the Fast Track service after speaking to the Passport Adviceline as I have a trip booked to Berlin in June.

I paid £111 as I opted for the 48 page 'jumbo' booklet as it was less than £10 extra compared to the 32 page regular booklet when using Fast Track (£103). This compares to £94.25 if applying via the Post Office's Check and Send service or £85.50 if applying online or by post. Fast Track guarantees your passport will arrive within a week.

I attended my appointment at Globe House next to Victoria station on Wednesday morning and my new passport has just been posted through my door so only a four day turnaround. The actual issue date was the 29th so it was turned around within 24 hours of application.
That is an amazing and excellent turnaround! It goes to show they do know how to process passports then - I was beginning to wonder! - so I don't know why there is such a delay with overseas expats' passports.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 6:00 am
Just Joined

tuckersworld is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by windsong
That is an amazing and excellent turnaround! It goes to show they do know how to process passports then - I was beginning to wonder! - so I don't know why there is such a delay with overseas expats' passports.
Mine arrived in just under 5 weeks...everything is fine as frog's hair here
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tuckersworld
Mine arrived in just under 5 weeks...everything is fine as frog's hair here
Maybe the delay is only with first passports or the renewing of those that expired a long time ago.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by windsong
Maybe the delay is only with first passports or the renewing of those that expired a long time ago.
My thoughts exactly Windsong..name change..first time passports and blue passports.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 3:05 pm
rjt
Just Joined

rjt is an unknown quantity at this point

My thoughts exactly Windsong..name change..first time passports and blue passports.
I'm afraid my data doesn't back up that theory. It's 8 weeks ago today that Durham received the paperwork for my daughter's bog-standard renewal from the USA. It was contersigned by a UK-resident, british passport holder whose profession is definitely on 'the approved list' so I can't think of anything particular that would delay it.

While I'm happy for people who got theirs back quickly I'm a bit peeved that this appears to show that uncomplicated applications to the same office, in the same category aren't completed in the order they're received.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rjt
I'm afraid my data doesn't back up that theory. It's 8 weeks ago today that Durham received the paperwork for my daughter's bog-standard renewal from the USA. It was contersigned by a UK-resident, british passport holder whose profession is definitely on 'the approved list' so I can't think of anything particular that would delay it.

While I'm happy for people who got theirs back quickly I'm a bit peeved that this appears to show that uncomplicated applications to the same office, in the same category aren't completed in the order they're received.
Forgive my naivety...why would she need a countersignature, if it is straightforward renewal? Are countersignatures being asked for at random?
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 3:29 pm
rjt
Just Joined

rjt is an unknown quantity at this point

Forgive my naivety...why would she need a countersignature, if it is straightforward renewal? Are countersignatures being asked for at random?
Countersignatures are always required for child renewals. In fairness, she does look rather different now to when she was 3 months old
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rjt
Countersignatures are always required for child renewals. In fairness, she does look rather different now to when she was 3 months old
Ahhhh okay ...that does make sense

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.