Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Old May 26th 2014, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

johno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Ignore my last..... Drunken rant due to frustration
Old May 26th 2014, 6:53 am
Just Joined

jkelly2156 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britinegypt
I have much the same story or terrible service.
My application was delivered by courier to the Durham office on 23rd March, payment taken on the 28th.
I'm renewing my sons passport, i called the 'help' line on the 2nd May and was promised a response withing 72 hours which did not come, called again on the 12th May, that time they filed a complaint and told me a team leader would respond to me within 72 hours.. no reply.. I called again on the 17th and totally lost me temper on the phone, the lady had no idea about the process, she could only ask me for the bar code, which i don't have as from Egypt you download and fill out the paper form, you don't do an online application.
After this i sent a mail via the form on the web site with a big complaint and all the info, a few days later i received an e-mail asking for all the details again, i don't know if this mail was a response to my mail or calls.. i sent all info again and was sent a reply that they would contact me within 72 hours... guess what.. no reply.... I have sent another mail..
So now its over 9 weeks and no one can even tell me if its in process, or they need more info or anything useful.
I have to travel in a few weeks if not before, my mother is elderly and unwell, and i wanted to spend the school holidays with her. The prices of he tickets have almost doubled in the last couple of weeks, i've spent a fortune on DHL and international calls, and i still have to travel 400 miles each way to pick up the passport if/when it ever arrives as they send it to the visa application center in Cairo (maybe because when i sent off the forms it said it will arrive to the consulate, now its the VAC)
feeling very frustrated with the whole thing.
When my own needed renewing 2 years ago es-pat applications were supposed to go to France and the fees were more that double UK fees, plus 2 ways courier plus 2 trips to Cairo to deliver documents and then receive the new passport, in the end i booked myself a cheap last minute flight and went and did the 1 day service in the UK, wish id done the same for my son now, would surely have worked out cheaper and i would have had a passport for him!
Still its nice to find this thread and know im not the only one facing this madness..
I have the same timeline with my application being received and payment taken on 28th March. I live in Thailand and am required to renew my work visa, but unable to do without a new passport. Ive now had to spend substantial amounts of money leaving the country 3 times and am giving it until the end of the week when i will decide whether to fly to the UK and pay (AGAIN as they will not refund) for a fast track service. I am extremely disappointed not only due to the financial demands, but the lack of compassion and willingness to help from the Liverpool Office. If truly is the worst customer service experience i have ever had and was even told "it will take as long as it takes" on one occasion. I am in one sense glad i am not alone and i do not feel that even after complaints that they care enough to make changes.
Old May 26th 2014, 9:19 am
Just Joined

jkelly2156 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good news... I've just called the passport office and i am advised that my passport was printed yesterday. by the time it is received, this will be 10 weeks taken for a simple renewal. Good luck!
Old May 26th 2014, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

johno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jkelly2156
Good news... I've just called the passport office and i am advised that my passport was printed yesterday. by the time it is received, this will be 10 weeks taken for a simple renewal. Good luck!
10 weeks for a renewal? Imagine the first time applications?

Nice 1 anyway
Old May 26th 2014, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

boogster is an unknown quantity at this point

Nearly 7 weeks now and neither of my 2 72hrs calls backs came ! The last one was escalated to manager level. It is quite apparent that the people you speak to on the phone, whether it be the adviceline or the progress room are only able to tell you what they have on the computer in front of them. They have no contact with the passport office and cannot even call them, just e-mail.

At least they told me today that my application has moved from awaiting examination to being examined ( if they are telling the truth !). So hopefully I will get me passport before my vacation at the beginning of July.

A manager in the progress room did say that the whole process is now taking between 6 -18 weeks !!I had to get him to repeat it to make sure he did say 18 week. I lodged a complaint today saying it was a totally inadequate and woeful system being unable to find out any information and with a totally unacceptable time frame. This gets e-mailed from the progress room to the passport office, I am sure it will not help but at least it gets it off your chest. so frustrating and oh they have put in another escalated request for a call back within 72hrs, I won't hold my breath !

Does anyone have a time frame for how long it took for them to get their passport after it went into the being examined stage ?
Old May 26th 2014, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johno5175
10 weeks for a renewal? Imagine the first time applications?

Nice 1 anyway
I am renewing an old blue book passport which is considered the same as a first-time application, so it will be interesting to see how long it takes. I already submitted my online application two weeks ago - and paid for it - and I am now gathering the supporting documentation which I hope to put in the mail early next week. Wondering if it is better to send it by Fedex rather than post office mail from the US.
Old May 26th 2014, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boogster
Nearly 7 weeks now and neither of my 2 72hrs calls backs came ! The last one was escalated to manager level. It is quite apparent that the people you speak to on the phone, whether it be the adviceline or the progress room are only able to tell you what they have on the computer in front of them. They have no contact with the passport office and cannot even call them, just e-mail.

At least they told me today that my application has moved from awaiting examination to being examined ( if they are telling the truth !). So hopefully I will get me passport before my vacation at the beginning of July.

A manager in the progress room did say that the whole process is now taking between 6 -18 weeks !!I had to get him to repeat it to make sure he did say 18 week. I lodged a complaint today saying it was a totally inadequate and woeful system being unable to find out any information and with a totally unacceptable time frame. This gets e-mailed from the progress room to the passport office, I am sure it will not help but at least it gets it off your chest. so frustrating and oh they have put in another escalated request for a call back within 72hrs, I won't hold my breath !

Does anyone have a time frame for how long it took for them to get their passport after it went into the being examined stage ?
EIGHTEEN WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is total insanity!!! I cannot possibly wait eighteen weeks!

I've read that some people in the UK called or wrote to their MP, but who can we overseas applicants contact for help - or to complain? This is REALLY ludicrous! What about the consul general in the USA?

As an alternative, I wonder if it is possible to apply for a EU passport. Would that take less time - or do you need the UK passport to get the EU passport? Perhaps I could use an EU passport to move back home.

Last edited by windsong; May 26th 2014 at 12:19 pm.
Old May 26th 2014, 1:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I've read that some people in the UK called or wrote to their MP, but who can we overseas applicants contact for help - or to complain? This is REALLY ludicrous! What about the consul general in the USA?
Some people could write to the MP for the constituency where they last lived, otherwise the relevant Minister, etc. May be a waste of time however.

As an alternative, I wonder if it is possible to apply for a EU passport. Would that take less time - or do you need the UK passport to get the EU passport? Perhaps I could use an EU passport to move back home.
No such thing as an EU passport.
Have you got the nationality of another EU state (Irish, German, Swedish, others?) If so, then you may apply for the passport of that country instead.
Old May 26th 2014, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
No such thing as an EU passport.
Have you got the nationality of another EU state (Irish, German, Swedish, others?) If so, then you may apply for the passport of that country instead.
No, I don't. Somehow I thought there was such a thing as an EU passport but clearly I was wrong.

I could go in on my U.S. passport but I would have my pets with me so it wouldn't work. Having the pets on the same flight would make it clear I intended to stay.
Old May 26th 2014, 2:00 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Eighteen weeks puts you at the middle of September............
Old May 26th 2014, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Eighteen weeks puts you at the middle of September............
I know. I was hoping to be gone before then - and at latest by October 1. It is cutting it very, very tight. I really don't like the idea of being trapped here until September!
Old May 26th 2014, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

tuckersworld is an unknown quantity at this point

I am renewing an old blue book passport which is considered the same as a first-time application, so it will be interesting to see how long it takes. I already submitted my online application two weeks ago - and paid for it - and I am now gathering the supporting documentation which I hope to put in the mail early next week. Wondering if it is better to send it by Fedex rather than post office mail from the US.
I used UPS Global Express...guaranteed delivery in 72 hours at a cost of $62.00...well worth it when you consider USPS is taking close to 3 weeks for delivery.
Old May 26th 2014, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tuckersworld
I used UPS Global Express...guaranteed delivery in 72 hours at a cost of $62.00...well worth it when you consider USPS is taking close to 3 weeks for delivery.
Good grief! Three weeks is terrible. I thought it took a week to get regular mail from the USA to the UK. How wrong I was!

I will definitely use "overnight" mail then - which takes 2-3 days to get to the UK. I don't mind the cost. Time is money - or, rather, money is time in this case.
Old May 26th 2014, 2:26 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

I know. I was hoping to be gone before then - and at latest by October 1. It is cutting it very, very tight. I really don't like the idea of being trapped here until September!
I'm so confused. I thought the other day you wrote you wanted to be gone by the end of September..........

At any rate - have you sent off for the passport yet?
Old May 26th 2014, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
I'm so confused. I thought the other day you wrote you wanted to be gone by the end of September..........

At any rate - have you sent off for the passport yet?
Well, the end of September is my deadline but I would like to think I could leave sooner. More especially, I don't like the thought of being "trapped" here until the end of September. There is a feeling of freedom when you have that UK passport in hand. Somehow that makes staying until September doable in my mind - if I were to choose to stay until then. It's the thought of not having a choice that bothers me.

I have already applied online and paid for my passport. I should receive the countersigned photo tomorrow and then I will send off the supporting documents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.