Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Old May 20th 2014, 8:56 am
Just Joined

deelink is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Good advice. I wish I had taken Austalian Citizenship - it would have saved a lot of hassle, but up 'til now it's never been an issue. All I have is Australian Residency. And yes I do know about the 929 but I need the passport first to get the residents return Visa and I also need to get a Visa for the country I plan to visit.

Still on hold - at the rate I'm going, I reckon I could have made the drive to Canberra to get an emergency travel document!!!
Old May 20th 2014, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Two and a half hours on hold - am I mad to keep on waiting? - or am I just going mad listening to the same awful music over and over again.
Old May 20th 2014, 11:52 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deelink
Two and a half hours on hold - am I mad to keep on waiting? - or am I just going mad listening to the same awful music over and over again.
2 hours? that's how they make the money no doubt.

Disgusting.
Old May 20th 2014, 12:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vexcore
2 hours? that's how they make the money no doubt.

Disgusting.
It's a 0300 number so it's not possible to make money from a caller. I would suggest the wait is down to the overwhelming number of calls they must be receiving from overseas given the current delays.
Old May 20th 2014, 12:49 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It's a 0300 number so it's not possible to make money from a caller. I would suggest the wait is down to the overwhelming number of calls they must be receiving from overseas given the current delays.
Never! Simplest thing would be to change the estimated time on the web page!
Old May 20th 2014, 1:35 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
Never! Simplest thing would be to change the estimated time on the web page!
The estimated times at least four weeks for renewals and at least six weeks for first time applications. There's no upper limit.
Old May 20th 2014, 2:19 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The estimated times at least four weeks for renewals and at least six weeks for first time applications. There's no upper limit.
Exactly! Estimated time of at least means c**p all. ('scuse my French ) It would be simpler AND more correct to advise 'allow 10wks' etc. It's a webpage. Update/alter the flippin' thing.
Old May 20th 2014, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

bongoffa is an unknown quantity at this point

I am into the fourth week of waiting for my straightforward renewal and, anticipating problems and travel disruptions, have already written to my MP. The British Embassy in Quito today sent out this email to all subscribers:

https://www.gov.uk/government/world-...have-increased

As of today, 8 weeks for a renewal! Appalling service !
Old May 20th 2014, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

After 5 hours on hold my phone ran out of charge!! At no time was there any indication, or voiceover which let me know where I was in the queue or how long the wait would be. So now, here I am at 3.30am trying again and I can't even get through.

BritInParis, I have taken your advice and written to the person who would have been my MP if I still lived in the UK.
Old May 20th 2014, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by 37100
Exactly! Estimated time of at least means c**p all. ('scuse my French ) It would be simpler AND more correct to advise 'allow 10wks' etc. It's a webpage. Update/alter the flippin' thing.
That would require the Home Office to publicly advertise they have made a complete balls up of the overseas passport repatriation. Senior civil servants have performance bonuses to maintain you know

After 5 hours on hold my phone ran out of charge!! At no time was there any indication, or voiceover which let me know where I was in the queue or how long the wait would be. So now, here I am at 3.30am trying again and I can't even get through.

BritInParis, I have taken your advice and written to the person who would have been my MP if I still lived in the UK.
Best of luck, let us know how you get on. If enough people petition their MPs then questions may be asked in Parliament and things might actually start to move again.
Old May 20th 2014, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Word out on the street here was that when an expat complained to the highest UK rep on this island at the time, supposedly since replaced, about the delay in processing passports under 'the Durham link', the comment came back that

"you have quit the UK for other pastures, don't even pay our taxes, and you still feel you have a right to complain about UK services? Don't complain to me!"
Old May 20th 2014, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

One would have to hope that the UK representive on St. Lucia was indeed replaced. I would have thought that assisting British residents on the island would be an important part of the job.
Old May 20th 2014, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

One would have to hope that the UK representative on St. Lucia was indeed replaced. I would have thought that assisting British residents on the island would be an important part of the job.
British Visitors yes possibly, but residents, I think not.
Old May 21st 2014, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

boogster is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys. Sorry to butt in but I have just joined the forum as I am in a similar situation and came across this thread. I am not applying from Australia but from Bermuda and our applications go through the Durham passport office, however the problems are pretty much identical.

They received my application on 11th April so compared to some they have not had it long ! Tracking it on-line is a complete waste of time as there are only three categories 1)Awaiting information from the applicant 2)Declaration form received and being processed 3)Dispatched .I have called the so called advice desk a number of times all they tell you is what you already know. Almost everybody falls into category 2) and NOBODY you speak to can tell you how far down the process route it is.

The person at the advice-line will put you through to the progress room if you ask. Another complete waste of time. Twice they have told me that my documents will have been checked by now and are just waiting examination and twice I have been told they wont have been looked at at all ! I believe the latter is probably correct.

Last week I was told that I would get a call back from the passport office within 72hrs That never happened. Today I called them and they said they will expedite that request to a manager and I will get a call back within 72hrs ! I won't hold my breath !

The whole system is a shambles and whoever you talk to just gives you a load of bullshit and I have told them so !

I am booked to travel at the beginning of July which will be about 12 weeks after they have received it. The only good news is that I have heard of people who have got theirs back recently within 8-10 weeks.

I called the Deputy Governor's office here in Bermuda and they have been inundated with complaints. They were not much help however but did say that the problem was being addressed ! I don't know what that means but I cling on to the hope that maybe the back log is being worked on and the processing time may be reduced. Maybe wishful thinking !
Old May 21st 2014, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

tuckersworld is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by boogster
Hi Guys. Sorry to butt in but I have just joined the forum as I am in a similar situation and came across this thread. I am not applying from Australia but from Bermuda and our applications go through the Durham passport office, however the problems are pretty much identical.

They received my application on 11th April so compared to some they have not had it long ! Tracking it on-line is a complete waste of time as there are only three categories 1)Awaiting information from the applicant 2)Declaration form received and being processed 3)Dispatched .I have called the so called advice desk a number of times all they tell you is what you already know. Almost everybody falls into category 2) and NOBODY you speak to can tell you how far down the process route it is.

The person at the advice-line will put you through to the progress room if you ask. Another complete waste of time. Twice they have told me that my documents will have been checked by now and are just waiting examination and twice I have been told they wont have been looked at at all ! I believe the latter is probably correct.

Last week I was told that I would get a call back from the passport office within 72hrs That never happened. Today I called them and they said they will expedite that request to a manager and I will get a call back within 72hrs ! I won't hold my breath !

The whole system is a shambles and whoever you talk to just gives you a load of bullshit and I have told them so !

I am booked to travel at the beginning of July which will be about 12 weeks after they have received it. The only good news is that I have heard of people who have got theirs back recently within 8-10 weeks.

I called the Deputy Governor's office here in Bermuda and they have been inundated with complaints. They were not much help however but did say that the problem was being addressed ! I don't know what that means but I cling on to the hope that maybe the back log is being worked on and the processing time may be reduced. Maybe wishful thinking !
Morning Boogster,
I have the exact timeline as you..
arrived Durham April 11th
Had some email correspondence saying that it was "processing" last week but...
Here's some great news...I received mine out of the blue last Friday! woot woot...I did NOT get tracking information from DHL..it just showed up.
Fingers crossed that yours arrives shortly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.