Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Old Jun 27th 2014, 2:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Originally Posted by CanBrit
Yes, definitely a lot cheaper to apply in Canada. We did look into it, but it was much too complicated and as we were going to the UK for a few months it was just easier to do it there. If he was allowed to have the ceremony in Canada we were not told about it and didn't think to ask because we already decided that we would go back in October this year for it. However, it was approved much more quickly than we were told it would be so it didn't work out the way we thought.

Thanks for answering this question, you are extremely knowledgeable and I appreciate your input. He doesn't have a bio-data page in his Canadian passport so that's not relevant anyways. Our new 10 year Canadian passports have them now since last year, but his passport is an older one.
AFAIK bio-data page means the info page where it states stuff like

Surname: SMITH
Given Name(s): JOHN DOE
Nationality/Nationalite: Canadian/Canadienne

etc.

Doesn't matter if the pport is biometric or not. I have that page and my Canadian pport is not biometric (issued in 2011 I think)
Old Jun 27th 2014, 2:10 am
Just Joined

CanBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I would make an application to the Vital Statistics agency or similar in the province in which husband's parents married for a copy of their marriage certificate presuming they married in Canada. If they married in the UK then you can make an application to the GRO.
Yes, they married in Canada. I looked into that and to get a marriage certificate they need his father's date of birth and unfortunately we don't know that either.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 2:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
AFAIK bio-data page means the info page where it states stuff like

Surname: SMITH
Given Name(s): JOHN DOE
Nationality/Nationalite: Canadian/Canadienne

etc.

Doesn't matter if the pport is biometric or not. I have that page and my Canadian pport is not biometric (issued in 2011 I think)
Sorry, my mistake, I thought it meant that page in the back with the chip in it like my passports have.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 2:13 am
Just Joined

BritinParis, does the countersignatory passport copy need a copy of the whole passport or just the bio-data page?
Old Jun 27th 2014, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

johno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant future

BritinParis, does the countersignatory passport copy need a copy of the whole passport or just the bio-data page?
Only the "bio/info" page. That is all that is needed. May help to get the counter-sign to date and sign the copy to save hassle later.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 2:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by johno5175
Only the "bio/info" page. That is all that is needed. May help to get the counter-sign to date and sign the copy to save hassle later.
Thanks for your reply to my question, much appreciated and also for the extra info too.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 2:57 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hello BritinParis, To answer your question, he applied when we were in the UK which meant he had to go back there for his Citizenship Ceremony. He wasn't given the option to do it in Canada. That would have been nice, it would have saved us $4,000 if he had been given the option.
As someone else has said, there was absolutely no obligation for a section 4C applicant to have a citizenship ceremony in the U.K. and they do routinely have citizenship ceremonies at consulates. But perhaps it depends on how the question is asked.

That said, asking for a citizenship ceremony venue to be changed invites a risk of delay, file being lost, etc.

Yes, they married in Canada. I looked into that and to get a marriage certificate they need his father's date of birth and unfortunately we don't know that either.
Really? Which province is that?
Usually they should be able to search records without a date of birth. Have you made a formal application, or is this simply what someone has told you.

Last edited by JAJ; Jun 27th 2014 at 3:00 am.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

johno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant future

Thanks for your reply to my question, much appreciated and also for the extra info too.
No problem. It is best to cover all bases at the moment. Seems a few people on here after waiting many many weeks (try 3 months) for the passports (mainly child's first) and complaining have their counter sign magically sent a letter a few days before passport sent out asking for copy's of bio page.

Its all a delay tactic.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 4:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
As someone else has said, there was absolutely no obligation for a section 4C applicant to have a citizenship ceremony in the U.K. and they do routinely have citizenship ceremonies at consulates. But perhaps it depends on how the question is asked.
We didn't ask and no-one told us either.

Originally Posted by JAJ
Really? Which province is that?
Usually they should be able to search records without a date of birth. Have you made a formal application, or is this simply what someone has told you.
Ontario and it says this on the Service Ontario website:

To order a marriage certificate you need:

the marriage to be registered in Ontario
first and last names of both parties to the marriage
date of marriage, and
name of city or town the marriage took place in

I was obviously wrong about the date of birth, (it was some time ago I went there to order one, but I knew there was a reason why I couldn't order it.) it was the date of marriage they want, but if we knew that we wouldn't need a marriage certificate because that's why we wanted it in the first place. We don't know where in Ontario they got married either.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 7:52 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johno5175
No problem. It is best to cover all bases at the moment. Seems a few people on here after waiting many many weeks (try 3 months) for the passports (mainly child's first) and complaining have their counter sign magically sent a letter a few days before passport sent out asking for copy's of bio page.

Its all a delay tactic.
Buried in the instructions somewhere, it does say that if the signee does not hold a UK passport, a copy must be enclosed.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 8:50 am
Just Joined

CharlesComb is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to update and close off my previous posts, I received my passport yesterday, exactly seven weeks after sending my old one to Liverpool.

An enormous relief, but hardly of consolation to people who have been waiting far longer.

If it's of any help to others, my approach was to write directly to HMPO (following the 'complaints' procedure on the website) and explain the urgent need for the passport to be processed (referring to impact on business and lack of personal identification) and then do the same through the helpline, asking the operative to write an email (asking for it to be read back, to ensure that the pleasant words aren't a fob-off) to HMPO.

I did this weekly from week 3.

I tried writing to the 10 Downing Street contact address and I also wrote to Kieth Vaz in his capacity as Chair of the Home Affairs Committee. On balance, I would say that neither of these approaches achieved anything, other than giving Vaz an additional printed email to wave at the mendacious Home Secretary.

Good luck to those of you still caught in the process.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

Steve Junion is an unknown quantity at this point

Sigh....my application has been at "Declaration form received, being processed" for about 7-8 weeks now. Just terrible service.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

ScottWalker is an unknown quantity at this point

sent my passport off to be renewed on 6th June - still waiting
Old Jul 15th 2014, 8:43 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve Junion
Sigh....my application has been at "Declaration form received, being processed" for about 7-8 weeks now. Just terrible service.
Same for my son, but for a replacement PP. My passport stayed 'being processed until the day before it was delivered when it appeared as 'dispatched'.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 11:41 am
Just Joined

bola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond repute

can anyone pls tell me if am expected to staple the my passport forms together with the passport photo stapled to it too or I just put everything inside the envelop? I found no mention of it on the form, thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.