Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Old Dec 19th 2013, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Originally Posted by scot47
Ever a victim of nostalgia, I am SURE it was better in the old days when the Embassy or High Commission did it all !
I am sure it was better too - also nowhere near as expensive!!
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

My passport just got delivered!! Yea - thank goodness - it is a horrible feeling not having a passport (I haven't become a citizen - I'm on my 3rd Green card). It worked out well as I am usually at work, but was off today, so I was home and able to sign for it (delivered by DHL). It's dated December 18th (I sent the application off on November 27th).
Old Jan 29th 2014, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

olive1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im applying for renewal and the application does look a bit different than before. There is a section which asks for 'maiden or previous names'
While I don't need any name changes made in my renewal I did hold a passport with a different last name many years ago when I was married, (I changed back to my maiden name when divorced and had a new passport issued in my maiden name at that time).
Am I supposed to include my married name in the 'previous name' section even though Im not applying to have any changes made at this time?
Old Jan 29th 2014, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by olive1975
Im applying for renewal and the application does look a bit different than before. There is a section which asks for 'maiden or previous names'
While I don't need any name changes made in my renewal I did hold a passport with a different last name many years ago when I was married, (I changed back to my maiden name when divorced and had a new passport issued in my maiden name at that time).
Am I supposed to include my married name in the 'previous name' section even though Im not applying to have any changes made at this time?
Make sure that you apply for your renewal passport in the same name as your previous passport was issued (unless you changed your name since the last renewal - then you need to submit proof of the name change). I put my maiden name in the space for previous names. I am also divorced but kept my married name - it was easier as I was married a long time. Just didn't want to deal with the hassle of going back to my maiden name.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

ulsterwinnie is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there any way to expedite the process, Im moving home middle of march with my US born child (Im British) so we are in abit of a time crunch
Old Mar 1st 2014, 8:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ulsterwinnie
Is there any way to expedite the process, Im moving home middle of march with my US born child (Im British) so we are in abit of a time crunch
There's no way to speed up the process. ETDs are available from a British consulate but as a replacement for a previously lost, stolen or expired passport.

Whilst it's best to enter the UK on a British passport if you don't have one then that won't be a bar to returning providing you have your child's US passport. As a US citizen they will need to leave the US on a US passport in any case.

A more permanent solution for evidence of their citizenship is to register your child's birth with the FCO. This can be done once you're back in the UK and you'll get a UK-style birth certificate which states their claim to British citizenship and unlike a passport it won't expire.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

Last edited by BritInParis; Mar 1st 2014 at 8:59 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

ulsterwinnie is an unknown quantity at this point

But Britinparis, if I bring him in under his US passport will he be denied school and NHS until i get the Brit passport at home? Is it dodgy with UK government that he comes in under US passport as vacation and then stays? Hes a British citizen by birth (both parents born in britain) but I would have no NI# , british birth cert etc.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 9:03 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

But Britinparis, if I bring him in under his US passport will he be denied school and NHS until i get the Brit passport at home? Is it dodgy with UK government that he comes in under US passport as vacation and then stays? Hes a British citizen by birth (both parents born in britain) but I would have no NI# , british birth cert etc.
That is a potential risk regarding his schooling and NHS care but a British passport won't take more than a week or so to be issued. If he's a child he won't have a NI number until he reaches 16 and it's not required unless he is working.

See my edited post about obtaining a British consular birth certificate for him.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

z1565124 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've let my British passport expire (July 2012) and plan to renew it after a trip to Ireland in May, I'm waiting because of the risk of not having my US passport in hand for the trip.

Does anything change for the renewal being as it has expired?

Letting it expire won't cause me any issues when I plan to return to the UK permanently in a couple of years will it, can't imagine it would but would rather know up front.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by z1565124
I've let my British passport expire (July 2012) and plan to renew it after a trip to Ireland in May, I'm waiting because of the risk of not having my US passport in hand for the trip.
As has been mentioned before there is no need for you to submit your US passport when renewing your British passport. A colour photocopy of your photo page and a note saying you need to retain the original for travel will suffice.

Does anything change for the renewal being as it has expired?

Letting it expire won't cause me any issues when I plan to return to the UK permanently in a couple of years will it, can't imagine it would but would rather know up front.
Not unless you let it elapse for more than ten years in which case you'll be treated as a first time applicant.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

Anita1996 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just curious if anybody has any more experiences and can provide me the turnaround time for the passport renewal from the US (or other countries).

We completed the new online submission form, and the payment was taken the day I submitted that online on 2/13. On 2/20 we mailed the declaration page, the old UK passport (expiring this month) and the passport sized photos.

We are trying to plan a trip back to the UK this month, and are just waiting on his passport. The .gov website says to expect 4 weeks from them receiving the declaration page, but I am hoping we see faster times like some of you have experienced in the past.

My father-in-law is not doing well health-wise, and his brother (my husband's uncle) just passed away.

Thanks for any/all experiences!
Old Mar 12th 2014, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Anita1996
Just curious if anybody has any more experiences and can provide me the turnaround time for the passport renewal from the US (or other countries).

We completed the new online submission form, and the payment was taken the day I submitted that online on 2/13. On 2/20 we mailed the declaration page, the old UK passport (expiring this month) and the passport sized photos.

We are trying to plan a trip back to the UK this month, and are just waiting on his passport. The .gov website says to expect 4 weeks from them receiving the declaration page, but I am hoping we see faster times like some of you have experienced in the past.

My father-in-law is not doing well health-wise, and his brother (my husband's uncle) just passed away.

Thanks for any/all experiences!
See the last few pages of this thread for the current processing times if you made your application from the US.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Anita1996 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you BritinParis! I will post my dates there. Thanks - it's very helpful to see the dates others are experiencing! (Also scary seeing the one that got delayed to passport photo size & paper size!)

Thanks again!
Old Mar 15th 2014, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

uk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud of

I have travelled back to the uk for holidays with my son many times. I have 2 passports for him. One is a usa and the other is his uk passport. I use the usa one to leave the country and I use the uk one to enter the uk. All has been good so far...
His usa passport expired and so he only has the uk one left. Which I will use when we make the move back. I also have registered births with the embassy in washington and have his certificate as well. I am about to send off for my other sons uk passport. He is 4 months old. Both have british birth cert.. it cost a lot of money but I think its worth it to have all to hand.

Last edited by uk_sweetie; Mar 15th 2014 at 10:43 am.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by uk_sweetie
I have travelled back to the uk for holidays with my son many times. I have 2 passports for him. One is a usa and the other is his uk passport. I use the usa one to leave the country and I use the uk one to enter the uk. All has been good so far...
His usa passport expired and so he only has the uk one left. Which I will use when we make the move back. I also have registered births with the embassy in washington and have his certificate as well. I am about to send off for my other sons uk passport. He is 4 months old. Both have british birth cert.. it cost a lot of money but I think its worth it to have all to hand.
Be aware that US citizens are required to enter and leave the US on US passports. You'll need to renew any expired US passports before you go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.