Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Entering the UK as the a family member of a Union citizen

Entering the UK as the a family member of a Union citizen

Old Jul 15th 2016, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

takhtar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Entering the UK as the a family member of a Union citizen

Hello,

Apologies If this has been asked before or I am posting it in the wrong place.

I want to enquire regarding visiting UK as a family member of an EU citizen who is exercising free movement.

I am currently holding a residence card in Germany which states "Residence Card of a family member of a Union citizen".

As per the following gov.uk page, Incase of such a residence card, a visa is not required to enter UK if travelling with EU citizen relative(In my case it is my wife who is a British Citizen exercising Free movement).

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...residence-card

I have already checked this with UK Visas and Immigration international enquiry service. And they told me that I may use the residence card for travel to the UK if I am accompanying the EEA national relative. But they also suggested to contact the Airport directly since the decision to allow to enter the UK will be upto the Border Officer.

Since, I got no response from the Airport yet. I would appreciate if someone can share this information and were allowed to enter UK on such a residence card. So that I arrange my travel accordingly to avoid problems at the passport desk. I will be arriving at Manchester Airport.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering the UK as the a family member of a Union citizen

As it says:

If you are a non-EEA national who holds a valid genuine residence card, issued to you as the family member of an EEA national who is exercising free movement rights in another EEA State (i.e. not your EEA relative’s Member State of nationality) under Article 10 of Directive 2004/38/EC (the ‘Free Movement Directive’), you may use this document for travel to the UK if you are accompanying your EEA national relative here, or joining your EEA national relative in the UK.

However, getting a UK Family permit, provides the best opportunity of entering the UK. It is up to the border official for final approval and having a Family permit means you have applied for and been approved by the UK authorities.

Presume since you are visiting the UK that you will have a return ticket to Germany? That is what the airline will be looking for.