Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

English Test Outside of UK for Spouse Visa? Important Changes Immediate Effect!!!

English Test Outside of UK for Spouse Visa? Important Changes Immediate Effect!!!

Old Feb 26th 2015, 2:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is The Tide Turning?

Originally Posted by MonsterP
Ah, you're right, thank you! Sorry, I was losing track. Getting tired here in Asia.... zzzz
Apologies. Usually when I move posts out of a thread...I put a link in the old thread redirecting members to the new thread...for some reason I didn't in this case.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English Test Outside of UK for Spouse Visa? Important Changes Immediate Effect!!!

Originally Posted by MonsterP
UPDATE - see.... https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ansitional.pdf

"These tests can be used in a UK immigration application until 5th November 2015 only when they have been taken on or before 5th April 2015.
From 6th April 2015 there will be a new list of approved Secure English Language Tests and Test Centres. Anyone taking a test on or after 6
th April 2015 must take one of the new listed tests at one of the approved centres if they wish to use it in a UK Immigration application. The list will be published by the end of February 2015."

So the previous 5 colleges are now reduced to 2! Trinity being one of them. Not sure which is the other yet.

I'm also going to be contacting the head of Trinity in China to find out why they won't let my Wife do her test in March if it can still be taken on or before 5th April 2015, as mentioned above.

Anyone know anything more?
UPDATE - This is the list of the approved tests from 6th April 2015. The ONLY colleges are Trinity and IELTS now:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...April_2015.pdf

It would seem that the number of test centres in the UK goes from around 27 down to 10 from 6th April 2015.

As yet, I haven't 100% clarified if all tests done OUTSIDE of the UK will no longer be accepted, but it appears to be looking that way...
Old Feb 26th 2015, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

theoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English Test Outside of UK for Spouse Visa? Important Changes Immediate Effect!!!

Yes they have reduced the number of test centres, they cite in the name of improvement.

The crazy thing is that an applicant for a settlement visa only needs to pass a simple oral test, lasting about six minutes. overseas the only tests available are the ones that involves the applicant taking a much longer test which includes a reading and writing test lasting about an hour. These tests are meant for those wishing to go to the UK on education visas, and whilst applicants for settlement visas don't have to pass the reading and writing elements, they have to take them.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute

Morning 'theoldgit' :-)

Yes, ONLY IELTS is available outside of the UK now. Like you say, this is a full Speaking, Listening, Reading, & Writing exam, lasting 2.5 hours, needs lots of preparation, etc etc. Waiting time, in Shanghai, is at least 2 months before you can get a test. Over the top compared to what is required.

The alternative is to only go to the UK for a test there with Trinity as an easier test.

Trinity have confirmed to me as follows:-

""Although the UK government is allowing existing Secure English Language Tests (SELT) to continue until 5th April 2015, Trinity terminated all overseas SELT examinations with immediate effect following the government ruling. This was a decision that our head office decided to take to ensure full conformance to new regulations from the Home Office. As a result, we are unfortunately not able to continue to offer SELT examinations in China.

Yes – Trinity has stopped all SELT examinations for UK visa purposes outside of the UK.

Your best option for a SELT examination for your wife within China is now IELTS, which can be arranged through the British Council.

The decision was not at all related to cost issues, but more with regards to ensuring maximum security and full compliance with new regulations to support the Home Office’s appointment of Trinity as one of only two SELT providers in the UK. Trinity’s GESE examinations will continue to be available in China and other countries, but these are no longer SELTs and will not qualify for UK visa applications.

It’s disappointing for the candidates that had planned to use GESE for visa purposes, particularly as the GESE exam is straight forward and fit-for-purpose for Spouse Visas, but the decision was made by our executive board.""
Old Feb 27th 2015, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Your link has just changed over night....

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ntres_v1_0.pdf
Old Feb 27th 2015, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

theoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond repute

You might be interested in this statement of changes to UK Visa Rules, I haven't read it in full yet, it's over 200 pages, but I think it's mainly for visit visas, though settlement might be in there.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
HC_1025_Immigration_Rules.pdf (1.40 MB, 519 views)
Old Feb 27th 2015, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the added reading! ha! If you spot anything critical, good to highlight here for all.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 10:27 am
Just Joined

MichaelCollins12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info. Is it right to think tests done and with Entry Clearance approved before 5th April will still be able to be used for FLR and ILR?
Old Feb 28th 2015, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

The UKVI haven't made this clear, they normally don't, but previously when things have changed, providing that a test was passed under previous rules they test result is still valid for subsequent part of the settlement process.
Old Mar 1st 2015, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MichaelCollins12
Thanks for the info. Is it right to think tests done and with Entry Clearance approved before 5th April will still be able to be used for FLR and ILR?
You're looking ahead a bit to your 2nd and final stages, but, if you look at the list of test providers, the Trinity certificate is only valid for 2 years, so you'll need to do another test by stage 2 anyway. I believe at that stage you have to pass a higher grade, which makes sense.
I can't remember if IELTS is valid for longer or not, but it's a completely different kind of test anyway and the test centres we've experienced in Shanghai, are not interested at all to help (British Council!).
Old Mar 1st 2015, 2:04 am
Just Joined

MichaelCollins12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, should have clarified. I wasn't thinking only of Trinity and IELTS but also other tests, that were previously valid, and if you'd still be able to use their results for FLR and ILR even though they wouldn't be acceptable for EC. My wife did the Cambridge FCE and that has no validity expiry.
Old Mar 1st 2015, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

It would have to be on the list of approved tests that is valid until 5th April 2015.
I believe that providing it clears the grade, and was an approved test centre, and an approved test at the time, then you should be fine.
Frankly, I'm not entirely sure how you could double-check that, perhaps cross-check with Cambridge HQ first.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Another UPDATE!
IELTS has their own announcement now too and will be rolling out the new test specifically for UK Spouse Visa applications for Speaking and Listening, called:-
IELTS LIFE SKILLS

Experience so far, checking in China and Thailand, is that the British Council and IDP are not fully aware of this test yet. Whilst contacts in Thailand are willing to try to find out, unfortunately the Chinese establishments have zero customer services as usual.

I think the best thing do for now is sit tight, while they start to inform their staff. See the link below for more info, but it's just about all you'll get for now if you want to take a test OUTSIDE of the UK.

IELTS | Media Centre
Old Mar 10th 2015, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Confused.

I think my wife has to take her test.
We're applying for the visa next month.

A SELTS (IELTS) centre is here in Montevideo. I see on the new list that it disappears!!! So she'd have to travel to another country!!

There is a test date this Saturday. So she only has to pass A1 speaking and listening for the spouse visa?

update:
I found this clarification
Spouse & partner
: If you intend to apply under the spouse and partner route you must provide evidence that you have passed the speaking and
listening components of a test at
level A1 or above. You do not need
to demonstrate reading and writing skills. Where a test examines all four components (speaking, listening, reading and writi
ng) you do not
need to pass the reading and writing components, you only need to evidence passing the speaking and listening compo
nents

Last edited by alfista1; Mar 10th 2015 at 12:51 am.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Is the Cambridge Key (first level) still valid?

Just seen you have to give weeks of notice to sit an exam! Whereas these new test centre conditions came into effect on the 20th Feb!!

Once again the UK government have surpassed themselves. So it's looking like my wife will have to travel to another country to take the test. We're going to call the Anglo tomorrow anyway. What I don't understand is why the UK government will not accept a SELTS exam from an official Cambridge school in Uruguay from the 6th April but in Argentina yes (should be the other way around if anyone knows anything about these 2 countries).

With my son on his own with his mum who's going to babysit while she travels for 2 days? Mr.Cameron any offers?

Last edited by alfista1; Mar 10th 2015 at 1:44 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.