Employment linked to spouse visa

Old Jul 30th 2016, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Clarity1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employment linked to spouse visa

Hi

Our son (a UK citizen born in the UK) is married to a Turkish woman whom he met at university when she was studying in the UK. They are both in their 20s and have been married just over 2 years. Their plan was to make their joint life in Turkey (where they have been living since their marriage) but recent events have called this into question. Currently my son works in media in Turkey - and his salary though reasonable by Turkish standards is nowhere near the £18,600 threshold for a spousal visa for his wife. It is likely that any jobs he got in the first year or so after his return to the UK would not meet the £18,600 threshold. My husband and I cannot afford to give them the £62,500 which is the alternative required savings threshold. However two questions .... we own a house in the UK in which they could live rent free while finding their feet... can this be taken into account in working out the threshold required? And/or given that my husband and I do not live at the house most of the time ourselves... can I legally employ my son as part-time caretaker for say £5000 a year... which might bridge the gap between what he can earn elsewhere and what he needs to meet the spousal visa threshold? And if so, how do I go about it to ensure that the £5000 I pay him is taken into account as part of his earnings?

Any advice gratefully received. I really find the current rules appalling and inequitable. Ironically it would be legally easier for my son and his wife to join me in France where I live most of my time than for my son to bring his wife to the only country where he has citizenship.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 2:47 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment linked to spouse visa

Originally Posted by Clarity1
Hi

Our son (a UK citizen born in the UK) is married to a Turkish woman whom he met at university when she was studying in the UK. They are both in their 20s and have been married just over 2 years. Their plan was to make their joint life in Turkey (where they have been living since their marriage) but recent events have called this into question. Currently my son works in media in Turkey - and his salary though reasonable by Turkish standards is nowhere near the £18,600 threshold for a spousal visa for his wife. It is likely that any jobs he got in the first year or so after his return to the UK would not meet the £18,600 threshold. My husband and I cannot afford to give them the £62,500 which is the alternative required savings threshold. However two questions .... we own a house in the UK in which they could live rent free while finding their feet... can this be taken into account in working out the threshold required? And/or given that my husband and I do not live at the house most of the time ourselves... can I legally employ my son as part-time caretaker for say £5000 a year... which might bridge the gap between what he can earn elsewhere and what he needs to meet the spousal visa threshold? And if so, how do I go about it to ensure that the £5000 I pay him is taken into account as part of his earnings?

Any advice gratefully received. I really find the current rules appalling and inequitable. Ironically it would be legally easier for my son and his wife to join me in France where I live most of my time than for my son to bring his wife to the only country where he has citizenship.
That would be his simplest way, I really suspect that the authorities would look on your employing him as just a way to get round the earnings way into the country. If he, and his wife, moved to France for a few months, and he got some sort of job there, and got his wife an EEA certificate, then after a few months they could both move to the UK, have a read of the SS (Surindher Singh) route in the BE wiki. This is a perfectly legal way round the problem.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 5:01 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

I really find the current rules appalling and inequitable. Ironically it would be legally easier for my son and his wife to join me in France where I live most of my time than for my son to bring his wife to the only country where he has citizenship.
You do realise there are simply too many people in the UK right now? Ie. The whole debate about Brexit? Probably not as you don't live here.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 6:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by az2014
You do realise there are simply too many people in the UK right now? Ie. The whole debate about Brexit? Probably not as you don't live here.
Oh dear. Go away please.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 6:29 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oh dear. Go away please.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much for this helpful advice. I have been looking up Surinder Singh.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

What a nasty person you appear to be. Since my husband continues to live most of the time in the UK I am well aware of the current situation - and in fact there is plenty of space... not least in the delightful village where we have a house.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

What a nasty person you appear to be. Since my husband continues to live most of the time in the UK I am well aware of the current situation - and in fact there is plenty of space... not least in the delightful village where we have a house.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 9:05 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing nasty here, just funny you think everyone should be entitled to come here and bring whoever they want without any rules or benchmarks.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 9:09 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 30th 2016, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Nothing nasty here, just funny you think everyone should be entitled to come here and bring whoever they want without any rules or benchmarks.
I don't think everybody should be entitled to live in the UK - but I certainly think that every UK citizen should be entitled to bring their legitimate and authentic spouse to their native country.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 11:01 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think everybody should be entitled to live in the UK - but I certainly think that every UK citizen should be entitled to bring their legitimate and authentic spouse to their native country.
Not worth bothering about these sort of posters, Clarity. They contribute very little to the forum, instead seeming to use it as some sort of outlet. I think they're called keyboard warriors

Best of luck to your son and his wife, I hope he finds a way to return home.