Eligible for British citizenship by birth?

Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

SwindonLad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Eligible for British citizenship by birth?

I was born in England in the mid-1950s to US parents (both US born) while my father was active in the US military. We relocated to the US soon thereafter and I have been holding US citizenship ever since.

I have read alternate takes on this situation, most significantly one citing the need for one of the birth parents to have been British or residing there.

Any first hand knowledge of this situation or best guess would be appreciated.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eligible for British citizenship by birth?

What birth certificate do you have?
Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

I have a "Certified Copy of an Entry of Birth" from the local Registration District, and also a Birth Certificate from the US Air Force hospital in which I was born.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/bri...utcitizenship/

"A British citizen by descent cannot become a British citizen otherwise than by descent.

The position may be different for people born before 1 January 1983. In most cases, if you have a passport issued before 1983 which describes you as a British subject (or Commonwealth citizen) citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies with right of abode in the United Kingdom, you will automatically be a British citizen."

Soooo... not sure! I assume you don't have a British passport, but what you do basically have is a British birth certificate (that's what the "certified copy of entry" thing is).

Not the most refined way to find out, but your best bet may be to simply apply for a British passport. If you get turned down and/or simply can't produce the evidence they request, then you'll know.

My 2 cents based on no in-depth knowledge...
Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/bri...utcitizenship/

"A British citizen by descent cannot become a British citizen otherwise than by descent.

The position may be different for people born before 1 January 1983. In most cases, if you have a passport issued before 1983 which describes you as a British subject (or Commonwealth citizen) citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies with right of abode in the United Kingdom, you will automatically be a British citizen."

Soooo... not sure! I assume you don't have a British passport, but what you do basically have is a British birth certificate (that's what the "certified copy of entry" thing is).

Not the most refined way to find out, but your best bet may be to simply apply for a British passport. If you get turned down and/or simply can't produce the evidence they request, then you'll know.

My 2 cents based on no in-depth knowledge...
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/bri...yingterritory/

If you were born in the United Kingdom before 1 January 1983, you are almost certainly a British citizen. The only exception is if you were born to certain diplomatic staff of foreign missions who had diplomatic immunity.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by notacrime
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/bri...yingterritory/

If you were born in the United Kingdom before 1 January 1983, you are almost certainly a British citizen. The only exception is if you were born to certain diplomatic staff of foreign missions who had diplomatic immunity.
Good find. Clarifies it better than what I found.

Sounds as though SwindonLad is in the right place since he is quite possibly a British Expat
Old Jan 21st 2009, 9:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Good find. Clarifies it better than what I found.

Sounds as though SwindonLad is in the right place since he is quite possibly a British Expat
no wonder they did a runner to the states though if they were in Swindon
Old Jan 21st 2009, 9:24 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SwindonLad
I have a "Certified Copy of an Entry of Birth" from the local Registration District, and also a Birth Certificate from the US Air Force hospital in which I was born.
Congratulations! You may now put cold milk in your hot tea and talk incessantly about the weather.

Apply for a passport at the British Embassy in Washington. Read www.richw.org/dualcit to acquaint yourself with dual nationality issues from the US perspective. (There really aren't any from the UK perspective!)
Old Jan 21st 2009, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much for so many prompt responses.

I guess a fuller investigation is in order before I make any next step.

Now that I think about it though, could/am I conceivably be considered a British citizen without making a “claim” via passport application?
Old Jan 21st 2009, 11:18 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Now that I think about it though, could/am I conceivably be considered a British citizen without making a “claim” via passport application?
An undocumented citizen, perhaps?
Old Jan 21st 2009, 11:25 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

By whom?
I tell everyone I'm a Canadian even though I'm not officially yet and don't have a passport. And act of gov't will change that 'soon'.

Unfortunately, it has not netted me any free maple syrup. Yet!

Tip: hang around your thread to see what JAJ posts back to you.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:14 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Unfortunately, it has not netted me any free maple syrup. Yet!
Or butter tarts! Mmmmm....!!!

Ian
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:54 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Or butter tarts! Mmmmm....!!!

Ian
Dude. Seriously.
It's a family joke. I think I ate all of Nova Scotia's allotment the summer I lived there. That and these wicked egg rolls from the Chinese place, with plum sauce.
mmmmmmm

But I still get spontanious butter tarts sent any time someone's been there. I have a reputation. They probably notified you in that official Journal of Canadians where you all keep tabs on each other, huh.

Nom!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for so many prompt responses.

I guess a fuller investigation is in order before I make any next step.

Unclear what kind of "fuller investigation" is needed. The law is very clear ... if you were born in Britain before 1983 then you are a British citizen, unless one of your parents was a diplomat.

Most U.S. military personnel in Britain were "visiting forces" but not entitled to diplomatic immunity. Hence there are quite a few people in your situation, born in the United Kingdom before 1983 to military parents.

Your British birth certificate (with appropriate ID) is evidence of British citizenship, but you should apply for a British passport too if you want to use your citizenship in any way.

Have you got any U.S. born children of your own? If so, when were they born and were you married to the mother?
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 5:29 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
no wonder they did a runner to the states though if they were in Swindon
Hey settle down on the Swindon bashing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.