EEA Family Permit UK

Old Nov 28th 2018, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

TeeAde is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EEA Family Permit UK

Hey everyone..

Hoping someone could offer some advice.

In a nutshell, my husband (non-Eu) and I (Eu-Uk) are currently living in Europe together. Have been here since Mid Sept and I am currently 19 weeks pregnant.

Our original plan following our wedding in Feb was to stay in his home country until we were granted a visa to Eu to be able to live together without all the financial thresholds UK hold over people as I wasn’t earning the required amount and god knows how long it would have took to find a job that would be over the required amount and save for the visa etc. We just didn’t want to be away from each other.. It took a little longer than expected but we got here in the end.

I like it here and so thankful we can be together but I desperately want to go back to the UK to have our baby, the stress of all the healthcare costs and paperwork etc here is worrying me. Of course I could go back any time but would never want my husband to miss the birth of his child and I would never want to be away from him anyway.. I have been looking into EEA family permit. What’s our chance of getting this so that we can both go to UK when the baby is due?
Old Nov 28th 2018, 4:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EEA Family Permit UK

Originally Posted by TeeAde
I like it here and so thankful we can be together but I desperately want to go back to the UK to have our baby, the stress of all the healthcare costs and paperwork etc here is worrying me. Of course I could go back any time but would never want my husband to miss the birth of his child and I would never want to be away from him anyway.
No idea on the EEA Family Permit I'm afraid, but just checking you're aware that just being a UK citizen doesn't mean you're eligible for free NHS treatment? You have to actually be resident there before qualifying, so depending on your plans, may still have to pay for the birth even if in the UK.

Good luck.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No idea on the EEA Family Permit I'm afraid, but just checking you're aware that just being a UK citizen doesn't mean you're eligible for free NHS treatment? You have to actually be resident there before qualifying, so depending on your plans, may still have to pay for the birth even if in the UK.

Good luck.

Seriously? I’ve never heard of that before.. So if I moved back there how would I get it free healthcare back?
Old Nov 28th 2018, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

bookerw100 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was reading on this, there is some guidance here of when you are not eligible even if you are British national.

https://www.hr.admin.cam.ac.uk/hr-se...-nhs-treatment
Old Nov 28th 2018, 4:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously? I’ve never heard of that before.. So if I moved back there how would I get it free healthcare back?
NHS eligibility is based on residency, not citizenship. So you'd need to be resident in the UK i.e. staying there for good, not just visiting to have a baby.

Only emergency care is covered for non-residents.

HTH.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

NHS eligibility is based on residency, not citizenship. So you'd need to be resident in the UK i.e. staying there for good, not just visiting to have a baby.

Only emergency care is covered for non-residents.

HTH.
Oh ok, got you. Maybe I didn’t make myself clear enough in the original post, I was just trying to be brief. I meant I wanted to return to the UK permanently not just to have the baby there and return back here. There is other factors one example: having family/friends around to help with the baby as post birth leave is only 10 weeks here. I cannot imagine leaving my 2 month with a stranger..

So I would be a resident again if I was to come back.. That’s why I was looking into alternative ways of coming back without the spouse visa.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 4:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Oh ok, got you. Maybe I didn’t make myself clear enough in the original post, I was just trying to be brief. I meant I wanted to return to the UK permanently not just to have the baby there and return back here. There is other factors one example: having family/friends around to help with the baby as post birth leave is only 10 weeks here. I cannot imagine leaving my 2 month with a stranger..

So I would be a resident again if I was to come back.. That’s why I was looking into alternative ways of coming back without the spouse visa.
Ah, ok - I read it as you were just returning to give birth, in which case you'll be covered as soon as you return.

I'm sure the pro's will be along to help with the EEA Family Permit shortly. Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 28th 2018 at 4:58 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Ah, ok - I read it as you were just returning to give birth, in which case you'll be covered as soon as you return.

I'm sure the pro's will be along to help with the EEA Family Permit shortly. Good luck.
No problem. Thank you anyway haha.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you mean returning to the UK under the Surinder Singh process, then you need to show that you are living and working in a European country and that country is and has been your 'centre of life' - and not just to enable you to get your non EU partner into the UK. This route might even completely disappear come Brexit.

As you have only been living in Europe since mid September this might be difficult to prove. You have to have evidence of working and living in Europe for a good length of time - jobs, accommodation, taking part in local life etc etc.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If you mean returning to the UK under the Surinder Singh process, then you need to show that you are living and working in a European country and that country is and has been your 'centre of life' - and not just to enable you to get your non EU partner into the UK. This route might even completely disappear come Brexit.

As you have only been living in Europe since mid September this might be difficult to prove. You have to have evidence of working and living in Europe for a good length of time - jobs, accommodation, taking part in local life etc etc.
oh, is the surinder Singh part of the EEA permit? Or something different?
Old Nov 28th 2018, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The EEA family permit was created for EU citizens (non Brits) working in the UK to get authorisation to bring their families into the UK with them. EU citizens living in the UK are not automatically eligible to bring in families. It is NOT open to Brits to bring in their spouses/family etc, unless they comply with the Surindher Singh ruling.

Some years ago the non EU husband of a Brit, who lived and worked in Europe, challenged the non availability of an EEA family permit for British citizens and since then a Brit who has been living and working in Europe has been eligible - under certain circumstances - to bring a non EU spouse into the UK .

However, anyone applying under this route, comes under scrutiny with regard the time spent living and working in Europe as the route is considered circumventing British immigration rules.

So in summary: an EEA family permit is not available to you, unless you have been working and living in Europe for some considerable time and can qualify under the Surindher Singh process and exercising EU treaty rights

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Nov 28th 2018 at 7:45 pm.