EEA Family permit or tourist visa?

Old Jun 18th 2014, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

tarys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EEA Family permit or tourist visa?

Hi there, I would like to ask for help in my visa application to go to the UK for holidays. At first, I thought I would apply under the Visitor/tourist visa as a non-EEA national. However, I realised, being the daughter of an Irish national, I could probably apply for the EEA Family permit. I am travelling with my mother (EEA national) and my father. We are travelling from Ireland together for a week's holiday. I know my dad, since he is a spouse of an EEA national, would be eligible to apply. My only problem is that I am over 21 years old. However, I have been living in the same household as my mother since we moved here. I have not worked for over 6 months and have become financially dependent on my mother since that time. She pays for our rent, my phone bill, TV bill, groceries, etc. I don't receive money through bank account from her so I don't really know how to provide documented proof for this (if ever they ask). When I receive money from her, it's in cash and not on a regular, timed manner (only when I need it for emergency, or need to pay for something). Would my EEA FP application be denied? Should I just apply as visitor??--- although I don't know how to mention I am travelling with my EEA national mother (exercising her treaty rights) and that I am out of work for 6 months now. Help!
Old Jun 18th 2014, 8:02 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EEA Family permit or tourist visa?

If you're the daughter of an Irish national and an EEA national what passport do you hold and why aren't you entitled to an Irish passport through your father or another EEA passport through your mother?
Old Jun 18th 2014, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

I still hold my non-EU passport because I'm not an Irish national yet, my father is not either. My mother is a naturalised Irish citizen and we have been living in Ireland for years since we joined her, it's just that we are only residents and not a citizen like my mother.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 8:12 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

What passport do you and your father hold at the moment? Presuming you are eligible is there any reason why you haven't naturalised yourselves as Irish citizens?
Old Jun 18th 2014, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Philippines. My dad just haven't had the time to apply; With me, a majority of my residency years were from being a student (as I went to school and university right after I joined my mom in Ireland and that's how they categorised me) which they don't count, I'm about 3-4 years short before I can apply for naturalisation.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 8:29 pm

In that case I would apply initially for an EEA Family Permit. They're free and it'll only take a few days for a decision to be made. However as you said you will need to demonstrate that you have been wholly dependent on your mother. If you are rejected then you can always apply for a visitor visa directly afterwards instead.