Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

EEA Family Permit / Surinder Singh process - quick questions!

EEA Family Permit / Surinder Singh process - quick questions!

Old Jun 24th 2013, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Mymorg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: EEA Family Permit / Surinder Singh process - quick questions!

My question has to do with taxes. If my uk husband has not yet paid into the tax system in Germany (where we are both living and both have residence), does this disqualify us for the Ss route? It does say he must be working, but it doesn't explicitly state that he must be also paying taxes in the eea member state... Although he will be doing this (bi yearly) we are thinking of moving to the uk soon... Does anyone know explicitly if this would hinder us from having a successful application?
Old Jun 24th 2013, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

When we applied for EEA family permits for visits while living in the EU they wanted a letter from my employer but no tax returns. That was a few years ago but I've never heard of people needing to provide tax details before
Old Jun 26th 2013, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Turmi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, my wife and I recently found out about this process and it seems almost too good to be true. I'm a British citizen and she's from the US. I was just wondering, once I'm all settled working and living in Europe and she comes out to join me, does she need any special permit to stay with me? Can she work during the time we're in Europe?
Old Jun 26th 2013, 10:59 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turmi
Hi, my wife and I recently found out about this process and it seems almost too good to be true. I'm a British citizen and she's from the US. I was just wondering, once I'm all settled working and living in Europe and she comes out to join me, does she need any special permit to stay with me?
The specifics of what she needs to settle with you depend on the country you choose. As the intention is for both of you to 'settle' in that country while you work there, you need to check the regulations for non-EEA citizens married or partnered with EU citizens to live with them in that individual country. You will not need anything, but she probably will.

Can she work during the time we're in Europe?
In most EEA countries, she can, though some employers may ask for proof she is living there legitimately, and that's where the regulations I mentioned previously can come into play.

Last edited by WEBlue; Jun 26th 2013 at 11:01 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 3:44 am
Just Joined

robynxo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Andrew79
The non-EEA family member must obtain a Residence Card for the host country, which may take up to 6 months from application. Therefore, you may need to stay longer.
Is this true?

I thought the non-EEA family member would automatically be allowed to work in the European country, so would they need residence too?

I've just been reading the Metock case and does it state that this isn't necessary?

EUN2.5 What did the ECJ judgment on Metock say in relation to issuing EEA family permits?

The ECJ judgment on Metock in July 2008 prohibited Member States from having a general requirement for non EEA spouses of EEA nationals to be lawfully resident in another EEA member state before they can benefit from a right to reside under the EU Free Movement of Persons Directive. Therefore, we can no longer apply the lawful residence requirement (which was based on the case of Akrich) or our own domestic legislation (the Immigration Rules) to family members seeking first admission to the EEA from outside the EEA.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 1:41 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robynxo
Is this true?

I thought the non-EEA family member would automatically be allowed to work in the European country, so would they need residence too?

I've just been reading the Metock case and does it state that this isn't necessary?
My understanding from my own research into this is that acquiring the ressidence card for living in the other EEA country makes the Singh path easier. Several posters in the past have ALSO noted that it makes getting a job in the other EEA country easier for the non-EEA spouse, because some employers won't hire the non-EEA spouse/partner without the RC as proof of legal status to work. (This may vary by EEA country.)

But yes, you are correct, The non-EEA family member is allowed to work even without the RC if residing (settling) with the EEA citizen who is exercising EU Treaty rights by working in the EEA country.

Last edited by WEBlue; Jun 27th 2013 at 1:44 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

robynxo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by WEBlue
My understanding from my own research into this is that acquiring the ressidence card for living in the other EEA country makes the Singh path easier. Several posters in the past have ALSO noted that it makes getting a job in the other EEA country easier for the non-EEA spouse, because some employers won't hire the non-EEA spouse/partner without the RC as proof of legal status to work. (This may vary by EEA country.)

But yes, you are correct, The non-EEA family member is allowed to work even without the RC if residing (settling) with the EEA citizen who is exercising EU Treaty rights by working in the EEA country.
Yes thanks I agree it's best to get the residence card to make the whole method easier. When my partner and I get to Ireland we will start the process of getting the residence card immediately. Thanks for the advice
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

ObDubai is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey There,

I was wondering if someone can help me with a quick information.
I am an Indian and have a successful ecommerce business in UAE.
My wife is a Swiss and we have a 6 month old kid who is swiss too.

I am looking forward to apply for a EEA visa from Dubai. Please help me how to proceed with this.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 6:35 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ObDubai
Hey There,

I was wondering if someone can help me with a quick information.
I am an Indian and have a successful ecommerce business in UAE.
My wife is a Swiss and we have a 6 month old kid who is swiss too.

I am looking forward to apply for a EEA visa from Dubai. Please help me how to proceed with this.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eu...-family-permit

gives all that you will need to know.

You will need to show your marriage certificate and submit a letter to say that you are travelling together to the UK from UAE. Submit your wife's passport copy too.That should be it. You may want to show your child's passport etc to show that the relationship is genuine. It should be straight forward but sadly for many visa nationals it is not - because there is so much abuse. I expect this type of application will be pretty uncommon in the UAE. You may also wish to show that both you and your spouse are legally resident in UAE.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

dalehitchy is an unknown quantity at this point

Me and my partner have been applying for UK citizenship. He was here on a student visa. Whilst here on that we went into a civil partnership. His visa has since ran out. We applied for him to stay here and it has been refused. We are appealing it at the moment but im concerned and need to think of other options.

I have been thinking about moving to Ireland and going through the Surinder Singh route. I am confused on the visa requirements to ROI. I know I can move there freely, but my partner is from a schedule 2 country (india). As he will have no time remaining on his UK Visa, from what I have read he can go to ROI on a 90 day visa? (or have a read this wrong?)

I would obviously need for him to stay there longer as 3 months is the minimum i need to show i have worked and living together etc. I'm so confused on what to do but i need to start with this option as im worried.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 9:31 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dalehitchy
Me and my partner have been applying for UK citizenship.
How can you & your partner be applying for UK citizenship?

He was here on a student visa. Whilst here on that we went into a civil partnership. His visa has since ran out. We applied for him to stay here and it has been refused. We are appealing it at the moment but im concerned and need to think of other options.
now you're saying a visa?

I have been thinking about moving to Ireland and going through the Surinder Singh route. I am confused on the visa requirements to ROI. I know I can move there freely, but my partner is from a schedule 2 country (india). As he will have no time remaining on his UK Visa, from what I have read he can go to ROI on a 90 day visa? (or have a read this wrong?)

I would obviously need for him to stay there longer as 3 months is the minimum i need to show i have worked and living together etc. I'm so confused on what to do but i need to start with this option as im worried.
same as what you posted earlier on the Ireland thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=810369

Are you a British citizen or a citizen of another EU country?

Last edited by not2old; Sep 25th 2013 at 9:33 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

dalehitchy is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I'm probably not using the correct terminology here.

I am British born (England). My partner was here on a student visa which has since ran out. I have helped him apply to live here on the grounds of a right to a family life. This has been rejected, and we are appealing it at the moment.

If this gets rejected, my only option is the Surinder Singh route. I am seriously confused on how to go about this, I know i'm not the most clever of the bunch, i need to read up on this more.

Can he apply from here and go over with me?
If we apply now can we go in a few months while I save abit of money
Will he have to go back to india first and then apply to Ireland?

Old Sep 25th 2013, 11:03 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

as I posted in the Ireland thread that if you are a British citizen (open that link & READ THE THREAD) get your EEA family permit from the Ireland embassy in the UK & move to Ireland with your partner. Then after a minimum period of 3 months take the next step to move to the UK

You also need to open & read that Surinder Singh thread that I posted to you on the Ireland thread it details the steps.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

somhairlee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everybody. Me *Ukrainian citizen* and my husband *British citizen* are going to do SS route in Spain. The question is does my 10 years old son have to accompany us for the whole 90 day period to qualify for entry into the UK,or can he join us near the end of this time and then travel to UK after our SS in the EU? Thank you in advance.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 2:21 am
Just Joined

woolston is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions or information.
My husband and I are retired in the US, he is non EU. We want to return to UK, but don't quite reach the M/I threshold with our joint retirement income. Our Irish friends have offered us a rent free house-sitting job for as long as we want it in ROI. I am 69 but could maybe find a part time job there. My husband is disabled and wont be working. Wondering about health care.
Also if I didn't work what would be our chances of getting back to UK after 6 mths to a year.
We would enter ROI via UK as we want to bring our dog with us and could visit with family there. We lived and worked in UK, so my husband has a NI number I wonder if he could see the doctor in UK. Any input would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by woolston; Nov 21st 2013 at 2:46 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.