Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

EEA Family Permit questions: Moving to London with Job Offer

EEA Family Permit questions: Moving to London with Job Offer

Old Jun 12th 2014, 3:38 am
Just Joined

212andrew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: EEA Family Permit questions: Moving to London with Job Offer

BritInParis and englishguygoinghome (and possibly any others),

Thanks to your help, I've finished, but not yet submitted, my EEA Family Permit application online. From what I can tell, 100% of EEA Family Permits are decided within 10 days (73% within 5 days), so hopefully I'm still in good shape to have it in the next three weeks. See this link:
https://visa-processingtimes.homeoff...family-permits

Before submitting it tomorrow, I'd like to get your opinion on how best to answer these specific questions that are asked in the application:

1) Under "Passport and Travel Information," it asks:

- "Date of planned arrival in the UK?" I've given my anticipated arrival of 05 July 2014. Is this date set in stone? If I arrive before or after (with the EEA Family Permit) is that problematic?

- "How long to intend to stay in the UK?" I've replied "Until 31 December 2014" (a bit less than 6 months -- the limit of my EEA Family Permit). Do you recommend this reply or suggest another?

- "What is the main address and contact details of where you will be staying whilst in the UK?" I've given an anticipated hotel address, as I don't yet have a permanent residence. Is that sufficient?

2) Under "Finances and Employment":

According to the PAPER version of the application, this section would NOT apply to me.

The PAPER application notes, "TO BE COMPLETED BY
- extended family members of an EEA national applying on the basis that they are dependent on that EEA national, or
- dependent direct family members (this does not include spouses, civil partners or children under the age of 21).
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...rmit-form-vaf5

However, on the ONLINE application has no such note. I don't see a way to skip this section (can’t leave blank, and must put in SOMETHING for dates), so I suppose I need to fill it out generally, anyway? And perhaps submit a copy of a recent paycheck/paystub?

Again, I really don't like the idea of giving them my current employer's contact info (I still work there). If they were to contact my employer, he would likely be upset, as he doesn't know I'm looking to leave. And if I were to be denied the EEA Family Permit for any reason, so I could NOT start work in the UK, I could end up out of my job in the US. A scary proposition....

3) Under "Family and Friends in the UK"

It asks, "Please enter details of what you plan to do whilst in the UK."

Is this where I should enter, "I plan to start work with [FIRM THAT MADE ME AN OFFER] in London. I have received and submitted my offer letter (including salary details) as part of this application."

Again, is it wise (or somehow unwise) for me to mention that I ALREADY have an offer of employment? Or am I technically NOT ALLOWED to receive an offer prior to having the RIGHT TO WORK in the UK (i.e. already having a Family Permit). I don't think this is the case -- if it were, how could anyone from America or overseas ever take a job if they must FIRST have the RIGHT to take the job. Usually (always?) a job offer would be extended before a Visa (for example) would be pursued. Will this POSSIBLY get my employer in trouble (for offering me a job prior to me having the right to work in the UK)?

In my offer letter (I also have a larger, formal contract, but I don't think it's necessary to attach that -- although it does offer me insurance, etc, not detailed in my offer letter), it states, "This offer is conditional on the following: Proof of eligibility to work in the United Kingdom). Your employment cannot commence until you have provided us with this evidence, so this should be brought in by you, no later than your first working day." Does this concern you at all? Could the UKBA say I don't have the right to accept an offer like that (or my employer doesn't have the right to make an offer like that) while I don't have work rights in the UK? Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but this is REALLY important.

4) Under "Additional Information"

It asks, "Is there any other information you wish to be considered as part of your application?"

This is where I have mentioned that my wife was previously married, and her Polish passport (issued in 2006) still has her previous married surname (her maiden surname hyphenated with her ex-husband's surname). She was divorced in 2008, and in the Judgment of Divorce (I'm submitting an original copy) the judge specifically writes, "the Plaintiff shall resume the use of her former surname, her maiden name of [ ]." I've submitted this because she has used her maiden name on our Marriage Certificate (also submitting an original copy) -- so that explains why the name on the passport and the name on the marriage certificate are not the same.

Should I also mention in this section that I've submitted a copy of my offer letter (including salary), and will be provided with private health insurance (can submit a copy of my full contract, if necessary). Should I request that the contact the head of HR with any questions (and provide contact info)? I really don't want to get my new employer more involved than they absolutely need to be. I was given this offer on the condition that I could secure an EEA Family permit -- they are not willing to sponsor me with a work visa themselves. What is your advice here?

Is it worth mentioning that the "Employment and Income" details have been provided by request, but are not required for EEA Family Permit applications made by spouses of an EEA National?

OTHER QUESTIONS:

Will I get back everything I submit, like the original Judgment of Divorce, etc? I'll request to do so; will also enclose a prepaid return FedEx envelope, which I've heard is a good idea.

I gather that my wife (EEA National) must write a letter to the UKBA, stating that I will be travelling with her. What should this letter say? Will "I, [wife's name] will be traveling to the UK, and my husband, [husband's name] will be traveling with me." (signed and dated) suffice?

I understand that she will not have to exercise her treaty rights upon her arrival. Will she need to do so by applying for a Residence Card within 90 days of arrival (after I help her prove self-sufficiency by opening a joint UK bank account that gets meaningful deposits), or leave the country within 90 days of arrival?

Thank you for your thoughts. I think I got all of my questions out, and look forward to your reply. I'll certainly let you know how things go, now that this ship is about to set sail....

Best regards,

Andrew
Old Jun 12th 2014, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 212andrew
1) Under "Passport and Travel Information," it asks:

- "Date of planned arrival in the UK?" I've given my anticipated arrival of 05 July 2014. Is this date set in stone? If I arrive before or after (with the EEA Family Permit) is that problematic?
No it's not. I've heard that sometimes they date the visa based on your answer to this question but never experienced it myself (with about 15 visa/EEA permit applications under our belt in total). Just put down your current plans.

- "How long to intend to stay in the UK?" I've replied "Until 31 December 2014" (a bit less than 6 months -- the limit of my EEA Family Permit). Do you recommend this reply or suggest another?
Put the truth. If you intend to stay until Dec then fine; if you intend to stay permanently with no trips abroad then put that but expect more questioning. If you intend to head back out of the country for a trip abroad, to close up shop where you live now etc. put that date.

- "What is the main address and contact details of where you will be staying whilst in the UK?" I've given an anticipated hotel address, as I don't yet have a permanent residence. Is that sufficient?
Should be fine. Consider the obvious question "you'll be living in a hotel for 6 months?"

2) Under "Finances and Employment":

According to the PAPER version of the application, this section would NOT apply to me.

The PAPER application notes, "TO BE COMPLETED BY
- extended family members of an EEA national applying on the basis that they are dependent on that EEA national, or
- dependent direct family members (this does not include spouses, civil partners or children under the age of 21).
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...rmit-form-vaf5

However, on the ONLINE application has no such note. I don't see a way to skip this section (can’t leave blank, and must put in SOMETHING for dates), so I suppose I need to fill it out generally, anyway? And perhaps submit a copy of a recent paycheck/paystub?

Again, I really don't like the idea of giving them my current employer's contact info (I still work there). If they were to contact my employer, he would likely be upset, as he doesn't know I'm looking to leave. And if I were to be denied the EEA Family Permit for any reason, so I could NOT start work in the UK, I could end up out of my job in the US. A scary proposition....
Just write N/A for EEA Spouse permit in any text boxes and put any date in the date fields (use real ones or obvious dummy ones 1/1/2001 and 31/12/2050 for e.g.)

3) Under "Family and Friends in the UK"

It asks, "Please enter details of what you plan to do whilst in the UK."

Is this where I should enter, "I plan to start work with [FIRM THAT MADE ME AN OFFER] in London. I have received and submitted my offer letter (including salary details) as part of this application."

Again, is it wise (or somehow unwise) for me to mention that I ALREADY have an offer of employment? Or am I technically NOT ALLOWED to receive an offer prior to having the RIGHT TO WORK in the UK (i.e. already having a Family Permit). I don't think this is the case -- if it were, how could anyone from America or overseas ever take a job if they must FIRST have the RIGHT to take the job. Usually (always?) a job offer would be extended before a Visa (for example) would be pursued. Will this POSSIBLY get my employer in trouble (for offering me a job prior to me having the right to work in the UK)?

In my offer letter (I also have a larger, formal contract, but I don't think it's necessary to attach that -- although it does offer me insurance, etc, not detailed in my offer letter), it states, "This offer is conditional on the following: Proof of eligibility to work in the United Kingdom). Your employment cannot commence until you have provided us with this evidence, so this should be brought in by you, no later than your first working day." Does this concern you at all? Could the UKBA say I don't have the right to accept an offer like that (or my employer doesn't have the right to make an offer like that) while I don't have work rights in the UK? Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but this is REALLY important.
I'd leave it out. It's not required for the permit.

4) Under "Additional Information"

It asks, "Is there any other information you wish to be considered as part of your application?"

This is where I have mentioned that my wife was previously married, and her Polish passport (issued in 2006) still has her previous married surname (her maiden surname hyphenated with her ex-husband's surname). She was divorced in 2008, and in the Judgment of Divorce (I'm submitting an original copy) the judge specifically writes, "the Plaintiff shall resume the use of her former surname, her maiden name of [ ]." I've submitted this because she has used her maiden name on our Marriage Certificate (also submitting an original copy) -- so that explains why the name on the passport and the name on the marriage certificate are not the same.

Should I also mention in this section that I've submitted a copy of my offer letter (including salary), and will be provided with private health insurance (can submit a copy of my full contract, if necessary). Should I request that the contact the head of HR with any questions (and provide contact info)? I really don't want to get my new employer more involved than they absolutely need to be. I was given this offer on the condition that I could secure an EEA Family permit -- they are not willing to sponsor me with a work visa themselves. What is your advice here?

Is it worth mentioning that the "Employment and Income" details have been provided by request, but are not required for EEA Family Permit applications made by spouses of an EEA National?
If there is room for the text then put it here, otherwise in a letter and write "see accompanying letter". I'd leave out a lot of the detail to be honest. Just prove your relationship to your spouse and her intent to travel to the UK. Anything other than that is not required and may lead to more problems than it solves.

OTHER QUESTIONS:

Will I get back everything I submit, like the original Judgment of Divorce, etc? I'll request to do so; will also enclose a prepaid return FedEx envelope, which I've heard is a good idea.

I gather that my wife (EEA National) must write a letter to the UKBA, stating that I will be travelling with her. What should this letter say? Will "I, [wife's name] will be traveling to the UK, and my husband, [husband's name] will be traveling with me." (signed and dated) suffice?
Sometimes I've left it at that, other times I've included passport numbers and / or dates of birth in brackets after the names.

I understand that she will not have to exercise her treaty rights upon her arrival. Will she need to do so by applying for a Residence Card within 90 days of arrival (after I help her prove self-sufficiency by opening a joint UK bank account that gets meaningful deposits), or leave the country within 90 days of arrival?

Thank you for your thoughts. I think I got all of my questions out, and look forward to your reply. I'll certainly let you know how things go, now that this ship is about to set sail....

Best regards,

Andrew
Not sure on that one. I'd suggest you ask "Solvit" - the EU helpdesk for freedom of movement (etc.) questions.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

From what she understands (and we MUST get the OFFICIAL answer), she can retain her residency in the US, as long as she visits once per year.
Unfortunately this is completely wrong. No matter what 'official' answer you get. Keep in mind that US govt officials are allowed to lie to you - there is no recourse when things go wrong.

Post the question in the US section of the forum and take it from there. The people there have good knowledge of 'abandonment issues'.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 7:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

My wife hasn't yet become a citizen for no reason other than having not signed up for it. From what she understands, there's about a six-month wait from her application until she can get citizenship. I'm not certain of this, but it sounds logical. At this point, we'll need to leave in about a month, so there won't be time to do that.
Need to?
Now that you have new information to hand (your wife never took the steps to become a citizen before, and perhaps now that is important), then you should stop and re-evaluate options. Is it important to become a United States citizen?

Processing times available at: https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processT...C9RCyFagQNRyeu

From what she understands (and we MUST get the OFFICIAL answer), she can retain her residency in the US, as long as she visits once per year. Again, I'm only heard this second-hand, so I'm not certain of its accuracy. Or if she has to visit, is it once per 365 days, or once per calendar year? How long does she have to stay during her visit? Could she apply for citizenship now, and fly back in six months to take the test?
Not nearly as simple as you may think. Suggest you do a lot more research before making up your mind.
And you should understand that flexibility in terms of retaining green card status is not the same as flexibility in terms of becoming a U.S. citizen.

Do you intend to retain a residence in the United States?
And, as asked already, how important is it to become a United States citizen and/or retain green card long term?

Last edited by JAJ; Jun 15th 2014 at 7:39 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

vero75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello! Sorry for digging up a somewhat old post, but the original poster was in the exact same situation I find myself in now, so I'm wondering how this all turned out?? Just about to hit the "send" button on my application, but would love to hear how this one turned out, first...!!

Old Mar 14th 2015, 11:31 am
Just Joined

JBeer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Forum,

Just wanted to share our experience with you.

I am a Danish (EU/EEA) citizen and my wife (married and living together for 7+ years) is from Philippines (non-EEA). My wife has a Permanent Danish Residence Permit (with visum to all of Schengen area). We are moving to UK to live and work. We are both currently unemployed. My wife has a small savings account - currently holding the equivilent of 1900 GBP. My older brother lives in UK already but does not hold a UK Residence Card - allthough he has a DK passport.

Through my brother I have managed to get a verbal agreement (no written contract) of employment starting as soon as get settled in.

Just like so many others posting in this forum we were facing the uncertainty of how to fill in the not impressingly brilliant web application form for EEA Family Permit. I spent countless evenings/nights in front of the computer searching for information/guidance about how to fill in the application form. We were especially unsecure about which information is relevant/important and which is not.

Well - to make a long story short, we finally made a decision and subitted the following:

- The EEA Family Permit application itself. In the applications section regarding financial information we simply type "n/a" in all boxes except the one with savings.

- Our original Marriage certificate which is made out in Danish, English, German, French and Spanish.

- A letter from me declaring that I intend to move to UK seeking employment and residence and that my wife will accompany me so we can maintain our married life together.

- My wife's original Philippine passport.

- A standard sized passport photo

- A copy of my wifes Danish Residence Card.

- A copy of my passport.

None of the above mentioned copies were certified. No bank statements of any kind were submitted.

After 5 (five..!!!) working days UKVI sent us my wifes passport with the EEA Family Permit sticker and our original marriage certificate.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Adi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everybody Im a new joiner to this forum,
I have plenty of questions to ask i'll begin with EEA family permit.
Iam married to a polish girl and we are staying Poland.My wife got a job offer from England, so we have decided to go there but the problem is to apply for eea family permit for me does my wife should need eea registration certificate number?
and if i will go to uk on general visitor visa for 6 months can i apply for residence card there in uk while staying?
Im worrying about me getting visa to UK because my visa to Poland got expired recently but i have applied for residence card in Poland and waiting for it.Does this make any bad influence on my visa application to uk?
Thank you
Old Oct 7th 2015, 6:01 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adi008
Hi everybody Im a new joiner to this forum,
I have plenty of questions to ask i'll begin with EEA family permit.
Iam married to a polish girl and we are staying Poland.My wife got a job offer from England, so we have decided to go there but the problem is to apply for eea family permit for me does my wife should need eea registration certificate number?
and if i will go to uk on general visitor visa for 6 months can i apply for residence card there in uk while staying?
Im worrying about me getting visa to UK because my visa to Poland got expired recently but i have applied for residence card in Poland and waiting for it.Does this make any bad influence on my visa application to uk?
Thank you
If you're eligible just apply for an EEA Family Permit from Poland. It's free and much easier and quicker to obtain than a general visitor visa if you are a visa national.

You only need to provide your passport, your wife's Polish passport/ID card and your marriage certificate. Your wife doesn't need a registration certificate or residence card in the UK nor do you need to have a Polish residence card.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Adi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
today i tried to apply for eea family permit in their website visa4uk but its mandatory to give my wife's eea registration certificate number. So i couldnt apply at all. what to do? :/
Old Oct 7th 2015, 6:42 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
today i tried to apply for eea family permit in their website visa4uk but its mandatory to give my wife's eea registration certificate number. So i couldnt apply at all. what to do? :/
Not sure which option you're selecting to get that result but there's no requirement to have such a certificate.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

can you tell me which option should i need to chose?
because i cant spot where i made the mistake ? that would be great help if you would tell me thank you for replying.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

when i check in their official website eea national should have that eea registration certificate if they want to bring their non eu spouse to uk. I have been searching about this in many forums there are mixed answers.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 11:26 pm

can you tell me which option should i need to chose?
because i cant spot where i made the mistake ? that would be great help if you would tell me thank you for replying.
when i check in their official website eea national should have that eea registration certificate if they want to bring their non eu spouse to uk. I have been searching about this in many forums there are mixed answers.
Your sponsor can't have an EEA registration certificate if they haven't arrived in the UK yet as they can't register until after they arrive. It's nonsensical.

The paper form for an EEA Family permit states that the sponsor should provide their EEA registration certificate "if held".

I've started a dummy application and I can see that the 'What is the EEA National Registration Certificate number for the EEA National?' question is mandatory which is daft. Just type 'N/A'.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Britinparis i did as you diid and i submitted the application and set an appointment on 19 this month. i thought its mandatory to give that number. You saved my butt thank you very much
btw if you dont mind can you tell me what type of documents should i need to submit for this? and im depending on my wife financially currently since i cant work here yet.
My wife have a job offer in uk so she had leave the job here in Poland. does this will make a bad influence on our application?
Thank you again
Old Oct 8th 2015, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there, can anybody tell me does one can work in uk while staying on eea family permit? or they'll have to wait until they'll get residence card?
Thank you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.