Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

EEA Family Permit: permanent move to UK -- questions at border?

EEA Family Permit: permanent move to UK -- questions at border?

Old Apr 22nd 2019, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

LondonParis is an unknown quantity at this point
Question EEA Family Permit: permanent move to UK -- questions at border?

Hello all,

My husband and I will be moving to the UK next week. He has an EEA family permit (his second) which we have already used once with no problem to visit my family. However, they always ask my husband a few questions, e.g. "What is the purpose of your trip?" "How long are you staying?" and "What do you do in France?" when we go to the UK.

This time, as we will be relocating completely, what sort of questions can we anticipate, what sort of documents should we bring to the border (obviously marriage certificate etc.), and will we face any trouble when we say "we are moving permanently to the UK"?

I'm aware that one of the primary purposes of an EEA family permit is precisely to enable families to move to the UK together, however as it is a Surinder Singh family permit, and in light of Brexit, I am concerned they might be a bit tough at the border.

Many thanks in advance for any advice, anecdotal or not!!
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 11:09 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EEA Family Permit: permanent move to UK -- questions at border?

No problems at all. Just plainly state the facts when asked. If he has a valid EEA Family Permit then the marriage certificate is unnecessary.