EEA family permit for my non EEA wife

Old Dec 16th 2008, 11:21 am
Just Joined

bebo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EEA family permit for my non EEA wife

Hello everyone..I'm new to this forum and hope to have my dilemma resolved by someone experienced.
Here is the situation..I'm an Italian and my girlfriend is non EEA citizen. We are both living in Italy at the moment and she is on shengen visa, but since we are planning to marry here she will get her residency in Italy.Soon after the marriage we are planning to go to UK and live there and we understood that she has to apply for the EEA permit. We have been together for little over then 2 years and we have supporting documents to prove that (pictures,flight tickets, hotel reservation, bank statement, e mails, SMS, passport stamps etc..). The concern is how difficult is to get the EEA permit approved since we are planning to apply for it soon after the marriage. Is that going to look suspicious (arranged marriage) in the eyes of the officers????
Old Dec 21st 2008, 2:58 am
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EEA family permit for my non EEA wife

Unless there is something unusual about your case, you should have no trouble getting an EEA permit. Your wife can apply for italian citizenship after three years of marriage, (even while living outside italy) and you both should apply for permanent residency five years after you arrive in the UK.

Originally Posted by bebo
Hello everyone..I'm new to this forum and hope to have my dilemma resolved by someone experienced.
Here is the situation..I'm an Italian and my girlfriend is non EEA citizen. We are both living in Italy at the moment and she is on shengen visa, but since we are planning to marry here she will get her residency in Italy.Soon after the marriage we are planning to go to UK and live there and we understood that she has to apply for the EEA permit. We have been together for little over then 2 years and we have supporting documents to prove that (pictures,flight tickets, hotel reservation, bank statement, e mails, SMS, passport stamps etc..). The concern is how difficult is to get the EEA permit approved since we are planning to apply for it soon after the marriage. Is that going to look suspicious (arranged marriage) in the eyes of the officers????
Old Dec 21st 2008, 9:57 am
Just Joined

hi dreamercon
thankx for answering.we read many things in regard and it should not be any trouble, but unfortunately the Italian bureaucracy is the slowest in the world, and after i get married in order to apply for the EEA Family Permit i will have to wait 7/8 months for the " Carta di Soggiorno"(my wife's legal residency in Italy) to be issued, which pisses me off soo badly!I will appeal to Solvit!!! I don t see any other Solution
Old Dec 21st 2008, 2:32 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

You can apply for an EEA family permit from your wife's country of citizenship instead of applying from italy if that is faster.

hi dreamercon
thankx for answering.we read many things in regard and it should not be any trouble, but unfortunately the Italian bureaucracy is the slowest in the world, and after i get married in order to apply for the EEA Family Permit i will have to wait 7/8 months for the " Carta di Soggiorno"(my wife's legal residency in Italy) to be issued, which pisses me off soo badly!I will appeal to Solvit!!! I don t see any other Solution
Old Dec 21st 2008, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

that s what we thought, but since my wife is from Macedonia we are afraid that is going to be little risky and be denied the permit.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

steveedgar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EEA family permit for my non EEA partner

My partner (we are not married) is a non EEA citizen. We have a baby who is a UK citizen with own passport. We have travelled to UK and Schengen for short visits. I currently have my office and residence in France but have been living with my partner and son in the non EEA country for the last 3 years. We are thinking of making our base in UK even if I maintain my consultancy business registered in France. As mother of a UK citizen, what right does my partner have to a EEA family permit?
Any ideas?
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 11:03 pm
Passport Collector

Default Re: EEA family permit for my non EEA partner

Normally, the unmarried partner gets no benefit just by having an EU citizen child. However, a recent court case may change things a bit to your favor - check this out for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chen_case

However, if you can prove that you have been living with your partner for two years or more in a relationship akin go marriage, your partner may be able to live in the UK based on her relationship with you.

Originally Posted by steveedgar
My partner (we are not married) is a non EEA citizen. We have a baby who is a UK citizen with own passport. We have travelled to UK and Schengen for short visits. I currently have my office and residence in France but have been living with my partner and son in the non EEA country for the last 3 years. We are thinking of making our base in UK even if I maintain my consultancy business registered in France. As mother of a UK citizen, what right does my partner have to a EEA family permit?
Any ideas?

Last edited by dreamercon; Dec 23rd 2008 at 11:15 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 5:56 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EEA family permit for my non EEA partner

Originally Posted by dreamercon
Normally, the unmarried partner gets no benefit just by having an EU citizen child. However, a recent court case may change things a bit to your favor - check this out for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chen_case

However, if you can prove that you have been living with your partner for two years or more in a relationship akin go marriage, your partner may be able to live in the UK based on her relationship with you.
Chen case doesn't apply in most situations as it does not give rights to work.

He can sponsor for a regular U.K. unmarried partners visa if he is a British citizen.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 11:22 am
Just Joined

MelanieN is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Bebo,
I just wanted to write a reply because your situation seems quite similar to mine and I wanted to let you know how it's all going...
I'm an Australian married to an Italian and we are currently in Rome but awaiting the EEA Family permit to move to the UK.
We were married in Australia Jan 2008, civilly, then church wedding Rome September 2008.
I applied for the permesso di soggiorno after our civil marriage - due to mistakes in the italian system nothing was done and my husband and I had to constantly chase it up.
I would recommend that you and your wife (when you are married - and auguri!!!!) take ALL your documents to the foreigners visa centre and wait in line for 6 hours or so there. You will probably have to go back a few times as you know how backward the italian system is!
Make sure you have multiple copies of documents, photos, etc. I forget exactly what you need, best to check online.
I received my Permesso di Soggiorno in October - but if I had gone directly to the foreigners centre I would have had it much sooner.
Go with your wife if you possibly can because being able to speak italian makes all the difference - when I went by myself, and I speak passable italian, they were incredibly rude and unhelpful.
OK - so once you have your wife's Permesso di Soggiorno you can apply for the EEA family Permit. You may well be able to apply before you receive it as long as you have all the legal marriage paperwork, I'm not sure.
The application for the EEA family permit is quite straightforward - it needs to be done online through WorldBridge Services.
Although they do ask for proof of address in the UK and proof of employment - something to think about! Also, proof of funds.
I submitted my application online on January 11th 2009.
I visited the WorldBridge Centre on the 12th january to submit all my back-up papers and to give biometric fingerprints and photos.
They took both my passport and my husbands and since then we have heard nothing. I am checking the status of my application online several times a day but as yet - nothing. Bit of a nightmare as we are meant to be travelling to Sweden on Saturday!
Cross fingers we know by Friday!
So - there you go. I'll keep you posted if and when I receive the EEA Family Permit!
Good luck with everything!
Old May 15th 2009, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

sherrivoncherry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Im responding Because I have a lot of quistions Im american married to an Italian for 5 years I have permanent residance in Italy my husband is getting a job transfer possible to London in July we just found out. Im curious the best way to go about processing my papers can I apply for my visas from the uk once I am there even if I cannot work I just want to be living in Rome while hes in London. Any help would be great... thanks sherri
Old May 16th 2009, 1:49 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherrivoncherry
Hi Im responding Because I have a lot of quistions Im american married to an Italian for 5 years I have permanent residance in Italy my husband is getting a job transfer possible to London in July we just found out. Im curious the best way to go about processing my papers can I apply for my visas from the uk once I am there even if I cannot work I just want to be living in Rome while hes in London. Any help would be great... thanks sherri
Start at http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk

Are you ok to abandon your permanent residence in Italy without becoming an Italian citizen?
Old May 16th 2009, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Yes I am.it would take another 3 and a half years to get my citizenship here and we could always reapply once the job ends in the UK but hopefully not were both ready to leave Italy. and I have read through all the uk visa information it still does not answer my questions. and Im looking for people that have already been through this
Old May 16th 2009, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Can I apply for my Visa from the UK while entering on a tourist visa if my husband gets the job that is the question??? help please?
Old Jun 10th 2009, 9:10 am
Just Joined

unknow is an unknown quantity at this point

HELLO,BEBO.UR SITUATION SAMW MINE.MY HISB.IS EU,I AM NON EU.FOR US WAS VERRY BIG PROBLEM TO COME IN UK.RESIDENCE PERMIT DOES NOT HELP UR WIFE.FOU U IT WILL BE PROBLEM,IF U HAVE NOT BEEN IN UK. AFTER MARRIAGE I DID APPLY FOR RESIDENCE PERMIT AS WELL.(I JUST RECEIVED,AFTER 7 MONTHS)WE DIDN'T PROOG OUR MARRIAGE,I ONLY BROUGHT 4 FOTOS.FOR THE FIRST TIME I GET REFUSED,BECAUSE MY HUSB.HAS NOT BEEN IN UK,HE CAN'T SUPPORT ME(I BROUGHT LETTERS FROM 2 BANKS)THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT RESIDENCE PERMIT.FOR THE SECOND TIME I BROUGHT LETTER,WHERE I EXPLAINED WHERE DID I TAKE MONEY IN BANK,I PROOF,THAT WE HAVE MONEY TO SUPPORT OURSELF IN UK.I HAD LETTER,THAT WE HAVE PLACE WHERE TO LIVE.WAS REALLY-REALLY BIG PROBLEM,BUT IN THE END WE ARE IN UK.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Dewi Ariati is an unknown quantity at this point

I am Indonesian, married to Hungarian on 2007. At the moment we are living in UK, London, specifically. until this time, we are still struggle with the bureaucratic thing which is going on inside the home office.

I am applying for extending my EEA family permit, since I am not EU citizen, I sent it on March 13, 2009 and until this time I heard nothing about it. The package I sent them was all the document belong to me and my husband, and I checked by Royal mail, it's been delivered. But until this time, the home office didn't even send me any letter,....so, as I could say, I am alien,...I have no ID, no letter, couldn't even register to hospital, because I need my ID to see the doctor.

Well, I tried to call the home office twice, but it seems like they are untouchable. I was waiting on the line for many hours, not every call you could reach them, if you trust me,...I tried for couple days until finally I got somebody answer it.

Guess what I heard? zero!!! She didn't even ask my name, or date of birth, not even took my package reference number, no help at all.
She gave me another phone number to deal with anything considering about EEA.
Then I called it, it was machine who answer the phone, and said," we are not sharing information during your visa process".
What was that??? could somebody please, explain that to me?
I hired a visa adviser service, she barely can't answer me.

I got refusal once when I apply for EEA family permit on the first time in Budapest, Hungary, 2008. And then the second one I should wait for 42 days until I got the answer, which by the website should taken max 30 days.
They gave me the visa for 6 months, I was working and studying, everything was OK, I even receive my national insurance number.

Then, when I need to extend it, my visa adviser said, it should take at least 3 months for the process, but I will receive a letter from home office ONCE they received my package for my temporary ID, which proof I am eligible to work and living in UK.

I sent two complain letter to home office about my case, first I did online by their public inquiry email address, and the second one I sent it by post,....but only God knows on which desk my letter's on.
I am just wondering, to where else I could report this situation?

That passport is belong to me, along with those important document, and how could they even threat me like this, what am I supposed to do if I have emergency to leave the country, if I got sick and need to see the doctor, if I got injured or accident, and I need to provide an ID in police department? I am trapped, here in UK, no way out.
If they could call this country ruled by law,...which part of it????
I wish I never come to this country,....what a nightmare!!!!

I passed the job interviews, I even had 2 jobs awaiting, but I can't make it because all I need just that LETTER from the home office.
My husband has to work extra to support our family, which I could make it easier while working, I feel being humiliated and believe me, I am suffering for all these matter. For the people who want to come here, and definitely need visa for entering UK,.....please don't get me wrong,....take your time, think twice or several times before you come here to UK. But, if you really decided, and hopefully could make to come here,...I wish you all the best, Goodluck!!

I hold a stay permit visa for schengen countries for 5 years, and I even have a residence card from Hungarian government for whole life, but I didn't change my nationality, and I need to wait for 3 years marriage to apply for Hungarian passport, which I still couldn't decide, because in my country it's a crime to have dual nationality.

A friend of mine got married with British citizen, and she should wait up to 2 years to get everything done.

I don't mean to frightening anybody, I am just telling you my experience,......I do welcome all your critics and suggestion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.