EEA Family Permit, marriage in UK

Old Apr 30th 2014, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

french101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EEA Family Permit, marriage in UK

Hi guys,

I'm just a little confused about what route to take, sorry if its been discussed but i couldn't find anything too relevant. I'll try to be as detailed as possible, hope it's not too boring.

My fiance is Latvian (EU citizen) and I'm Australian, we gave notice to get married about 6 months ago in London (we've been together 3 years, her visa in AUS is finished, and my work visa in the UK is finished)

I'm currently in Italy on a work visa and at the end of summer I plan to return to the UK so we can get married, settle and work there- she is still working in London (excercising treaty rights) as she's got a great job there.

Now my question is, if I go back to the UK and get married, can I leave again and apply for the EEA family permit from Italy where I am now?
Do you think they would have an issue with someone applying for the EEA family permit if they were actually married in the UK?

Otherwise, from within the UK I guess I'd be applying immediately for a residence card, but that would mean waiting for up to 6 months to be able to start working (as opposed to commence working immediately on the EEA permit)??

We're actually having our wedding celebration in Thailand, so we always planned on on the 'official' part of the marriage to be done in a registry office. Because of this, and because we've given notice, it's really simple for me to pop over to the UK and get married, return to Italy, apply for the EEA permit from here and then in theory when I enter I could begin working immediately, that would be the best option.

Am I putting too much thought into this and over complicating it? Is there a more simple approach?
We're really flexible about how we approach it and just looking for the best way to go about it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Cheers
Old May 1st 2014, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EEA Family Permit, marriage in UK

Welcome to BE.
That's an interesting idea and I understand what you're thinking. I'm pretty sure that when you apply for an EEA2 you get a confirmation letter which also states you have the right to work (hopefully someone who's done it recently can confirm that). I'm also not sure whether employers would be happy to take you with "just" and EEA family permit valid for 6 months. Larger companies who farm their right-to-work checks out to the big-4 consultants may do but I'd guess it looks too much like a visit visa for most (again would be good if someone could confirm their personal experience)

You could also try asking SolveIt (google "Europe.eu solvit") who are the EU's advice center for this kind of thing