EEA Family permit form VAF5

Old Apr 6th 2014, 1:32 am
Just Joined

Jean14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EEA Family permit form VAF5

Hello everyone,

Reading this forum has been very helpful so far, however I have a quick question to ask
My australian partner and I (I'm french) are planning to move back to the UK, we are thinking to apply for a EEA family permit very soon. We have been living together for 3 years now, so we will be applying as Unmarried partner.

- At the start of the VAF5 form, it is asked 'how long to you intend to stay in the UK for?' Should we state 6 months as it is the length of the EEA family permit, or should we state 2 years since we are not sure yet exactly how long but it might be around that time ?

- I have read as well that if you state that you want to stay for more than 3 months the EEA National 'must be working, a jobseeker, self-employed, studying, self-sufficient or have a permanent right of residence.' Since we are arriving in the UK together, is it enough to say that I would be looking for work on arrival, or do I need to show that I have a Bachelor degree qualification / or to show the amount of our savings (i've read that people don't need to show finances when applying for an EEA permit but i am a bit lost since I would be a jobseeker once there but I don't know how to show it)

Thanks to everyone for reading this and taking the time to reply

Last edited by Jean14; Apr 6th 2014 at 1:34 am.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EEA Family permit form VAF5

Hi Jean, If you are intending to move permanently then this may be obvious at the border given that you will only have one-way tickets and lots of luggage. I'd advise on telling the truth regarding your length of stay - as you say, you are within your rights to come and look for work.
As for the extra evidence I would include it - while your not legally obliged to do so it certainly has no disadvantage. Don't forget to add a cover letter, written by you, explaining your intentions.
If you're worried about time and/or cost then don't get the certificates and bank statements translated, just include them assuming they are from France. Make sure to translate your proof of living together though!
Old Apr 6th 2014, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

How come you are still looking at form VAF5? I think you have to use the online application system now, otherwise you won't be able to request an appointment to deliver your materials.

Am I wrong?
Old Apr 6th 2014, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

I'm not wrong. You should see this link: https://www.gov.uk/family-permit

"Apply
You must apply online unless you’re from:
Cuba
North Korea
In this case, you must apply by post. Fill in the application form and send to your local visa application centre."
Old Apr 7th 2014, 7:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chaoclive
How come you are still looking at form VAF5? I think you have to use the online application system now, otherwise you won't be able to request an appointment to deliver your materials.

Am I wrong?
Thanks all for you replies

You are right Chaoclive, I do have to use the online application, but they say as well on their website "If you make an online application, you must also print off the application form and submit it with any supporting documents you have chosen to submit." So I guess I have to do both.

The form asks as well "where do you intend to stay in the UK ?", but since neither of my partner and I have family or friends there, would it be ok to put the address of an hotel ? (we will be waiting for the visa to be approved before booking plane tickets and accomodation)

Thanks again for your help
Old Apr 7th 2014, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jean14
The form asks as well "where do you intend to stay in the UK ?", but since neither of my partner and I have family or friends there, would it be ok to put the address of an hotel ? (we will be waiting for the visa to be approved before booking plane tickets and accomodation)
That will probably be fine in your case, but I woudl advise you write a few sentences in your cover letter to explain that you will be looking for rental accomodation, where you will be looking, when and how.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

You probably also want to check up on health insurance. The NHS won't cover you as an initial jobseeker on day one and your current French cover may end as soon as you permanently leave the country (?)
Old Apr 7th 2014, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jean14
they say as well on their website "If you make an online application, you must also print off the application form and submit it with any supporting documents you have chosen to submit." So I guess I have to do both.
This means that you need to print out the online form after you submit it online. You can't use VAF5. This is the same as the normal visa application process. Then you need to take all the physical documents to a visa processing centre.

Good luck!
Old Apr 7th 2014, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
You probably also want to check up on health insurance. The NHS won't cover you as an initial jobseeker on day one and your current French cover may end as soon as you permanently leave the country (?)

I am doing an online course though a french university so I do have an insurance cover with an option that covers international (We both live in Australia right now, and I am covered here with this one)
I guess I should mention that I will be covered by my french insurance then in my application (But I won't be considered as a student in England, is it right ?)

Thanks Chaoclive, so I just need to print the online, that makes it easier
Old Apr 8th 2014, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

AngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really nice

De Facto Partnership Immigration Permission in Ireland

IMPORTANT NOTE

From 21 March 2014 INIS will not accept an application for De Facto Partnership Immigration Permission if the Applicant is present in the State on a C Visit Visa or on foot of the Irish Short Stay Visa Waiver Programme.

If the Applicant is a visa required national they must apply for an Irish D Join Partner visa prior to entry to the State.

It is the intention of INIS to introduce preclearance for all family type cases administered by a Family Settlement Unit – please see Family Reunification Policy Document published 31 December 2013. When the Family Settlement Unit is established it will be possible to have De Facto Partnership Immigration Permission applications decided prior to entry to the State for non visa required persons as well as for visa required persons.

When the Family Settlement Unit is established INIS will no longer accept De Facto Partnership Immigration Permission applications from within the State if the applicant is on a visitor permission.

Until the Family Settlement Unit is established INIS will continue to accept for De Facto Partnership Immigration Permission applications from non visa required persons present in the State on visitors conditions.

Source: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages...0Relationships
Old Apr 9th 2014, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

AngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really nice

Sorry, I posted the previous post in the wrong thread.