EEA family member and residence card questions

Old Aug 16th 2015, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

falanca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EEA family member and residence card questions

Hello all,

I'm a guy who has recently applied for an EEA family permit. If everything goes smoothly, I should get my visa in a week or two.

But what I am curious starts after getting visa. I couldn't find anything that states an EEA family permit directly gives me the right to work. I know residence card gives me that. But until I get it am eligible to work?

Moving on to residence card. I looked for requirements, it wants me to prove my dependence to EEA family member by that enough money was flowing to my bank account from my mother's(she's the EEA family member in this case). But since we live together, she mainly gives me cash, apart from that I have an additional credit card through her(which is the only thing I can provide moneywise plus we've been living together for 23 years).

I have applied as my mother's dependant, but I'm a newly graduate (not worked legally besides internships, relied on my mother and father till my father's death, since then I only rely on my mother) and I want to look for work immideatly after going to UK. Does this damage my dependant status and do I have to be financially dependant up until I get my residence card? Or is being dependant here enough for applying?

Another question, Do UKVI confiscate my passport when I apply for residence card? If so, how can I prove that I am eligible to work(or even live) without it?

EDIT: Sorry topic should have been EEA family permit and residence card questions, first time poster here

Last edited by falanca; Aug 16th 2015 at 2:47 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: EEA family member and residence card questions

I really could use a response :/
Old Aug 17th 2015, 2:10 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by falanca
I really could use a response :/
That goes without saying, since you asked a question

You're new to BE, which may be why you don't seem to understand that this is not a website that has paid experts sitting by their computers, ready to answer any question at any time.

It's a site run by volunteers, ordinary people who may or may not have had some personal experience of emigrating/immigrating. The members here are very generous with their knowledge, but they all have their own lives, work, family, social etc and they also don't sit by their computers all the time.

If someone has answers to your questions, they'll post if and when they can. In the meantime, it'd be a good idea for you to read the site rules, including the one on bumping posts Good luck with your plans.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 6:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
You're new to BE, which may be why you don't seem to understand that this is not a website that has paid experts sitting by their computers, ready to answer any question at any time.

It's a site run by volunteers, ordinary people who may or may not have had some personal experience of emigrating/immigrating. The members here are very generous with their knowledge, but they all have their own lives, work, family, social etc and they also don't sit by their computers all the time.

If someone has answers to your questions, they'll post if and when they can. In the meantime, it'd be a good idea for you to read the site rules, including the one on bumping posts Good luck with your plans.
I didn't mean to offend anyone, of course I know people do not sit in front of their computers and replying all questions. But I just saw bunch people viewing the topic and not replying plus I could use a little help
Old Aug 17th 2015, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you get an answer soon. I can understand your concern about seeing the number of people viewing and not responding but some, like me, have no clue about EEA permits! It would be dangerous to give information unless one is sure of the facts. I hesitate to advise even with spousal visas, even though I have had experience with that category. Hopefully, someone who can advise you will respond soon.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 8:05 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't mean to offend anyone, of course I know people do not sit in front of their computers and replying all questions. But I just saw bunch people viewing the topic and not replying plus I could use a little help
Many of the people, like me, look at the question but are unable to give a useful answer, but at least you do know that people are looking at the question.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 11:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by michali
I hope you get an answer soon. I can understand your concern about seeing the number of people viewing and not responding but some, like me, have no clue about EEA permits! It would be dangerous to give information unless one is sure of the facts. I hesitate to advise even with spousal visas, even though I have had experience with that category. Hopefully, someone who can advise you will respond soon.
I understand it but I researched a lot of places and failed to find any knowledge on the concept. To be fair, not having an EEA country's passport while your parent does is probably rare(I'm guessing less than a thousand people are like me) and not all of them applying to UK to get visa.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 12:07 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

I'm a guy who has recently applied for an EEA family permit. If everything goes smoothly, I should get my visa in a week or two.

But what I am curious starts after getting visa. I couldn't find anything that states an EEA family permit directly gives me the right to work. I know residence card gives me that. But until I get it am eligible to work?

Moving on to residence card. I looked for requirements, it wants me to prove my dependence to EEA family member by that enough money was flowing to my bank account from my mother's(she's the EEA family member in this case). But since we live together, she mainly gives me cash, apart from that I have an additional credit card through her(which is the only thing I can provide moneywise plus we've been living together for 23 years).

I have applied as my mother's dependant, but I'm a newly graduate (not worked legally besides internships, relied on my mother and father till my father's death, since then I only rely on my mother) and I want to look for work immideatly after going to UK. Does this damage my dependant status and do I have to be financially dependant up until I get my residence card? Or is being dependant here enough for applying?

Another question, Do UKVI confiscate my passport when I apply for residence card? If so, how can I prove that I am eligible to work(or even live) without it?

EDIT: Sorry topic should have been EEA family permit and residence card questions, first time poster here
This thread from last year should answer some of your questions.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/citiz...-offer-835892/

**Yes, the EEA FP is adequate evidence of the full right to work in the UK under EU Treaty rights. (See posts #4 and #5 in the thread linked.)

HOWEVER, unfortunately some UK employers don't realize this and for those employers, the only acceptable evidence that you may work is probably the residence card....

Last edited by WEBlue; Aug 17th 2015 at 12:15 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 12:13 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

see if the following helps answer your question.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...s/index_en.htm

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ncoming-553869

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-uk-residence-card

How do I prove my right to work (EEA family permit)

Last edited by not2old; Aug 17th 2015 at 12:24 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 12:35 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

OP, maybe this is more specific to your question?

You are going to need a national insurance number to work & in order to do that you must be allowed to live unrestricted in the UK, in your case on the EEA family permit, which within a few months you would apply for a residence card

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance/overview

In the following, I filled in the 'check the box', see if this is you?

https://www.gov.uk/legal-right-work-...land/no/no/yes

if it doesn't load, fill in the boxes yourself

https://www.gov.uk/legal-right-work-uk
Old Aug 17th 2015, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by WEBlue

**Yes, the EEA FP is adequate evidence of the full right to work in the UK under EU Treaty rights. (See posts #4 and #5 in the thread linked.)

HOWEVER, unfortunately some UK employers don't realize this and for those employers, the only acceptable evidence that you may work is probably the residence card....
So I am eligible to work, however I may not get hired without a residence card. I assumed that.

It actually did answer some of my questions. But the question which concerns me most still stands unforunately.

If I start working while(or before) applying for a residence card, do I count as an independent child from that day on or what was before going to UK enough?
Old Aug 17th 2015, 1:04 pm
Dichotomus tinker

OP, once you have your EEA family permit, have landed in the UK, then along with a UK National insurance number, a place to live, are working, have a residence card, then the next thing to consider would be health coverage

European Health Insurance Card - Employment, Social Affairs & Inclusion - European Commission

http://www.pah.nhs.uk/files/b)%20Ent...20Visitors.pdf
Old Aug 17th 2015, 1:53 pm
Dichotomus tinker

I understand it but I researched a lot of places and failed to find any knowledge on the concept.
has your question been answered in the responses provided by the two posters above?
Old Aug 17th 2015, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by WEBlue

I had looked to that thread before I opened this one, but some of my questions still went answered and since I opened a new thread I re-asked some of them. But thanks anyway.

Originally Posted by not2old
has your question been answered in the responses provided by the two posters above?
Actually it did some of them, thanks a lot. I fit in that description you "checked the box"ed for me, but I still need to convince that I have the right to remain in UK indefinitely to employers. Apart from that I learned what I should do once I'm there.

But my biggest worry is still unanswered. Since I will be there as a "dependent child of an EEA member", I am afraid to start working as soon as I come. Was being dependent over here enough to qualify for a residence card or should I wait and be dependent to get my residence card to get to work?

Again thanks a lot for the other info!!
Old Aug 17th 2015, 2:41 pm
Dichotomus tinker

OP, you have a reply private message from me responding to your questions