dying for help!!!!!!!

Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

mas1269 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default dying for help!!!!!!!

Hi everyone,

This is the first time i have posted before so any help will mean a lot to me.
Basically, i am in quite a serious situation. My ex partner of 3 years has been harassing me and my daughter with violent threats, and doesnt seem to leave me alone. We have been separated for 2 years now and he still has not got the message yet. I have called the police on numerous occasions and even took him to Court but he was found not guilty as he "promised" not to do it again. Nothing has worked.

I am currently studying in my last year of an LLB law degree in London UK and wish to immigrate to the States, preferably to Boston MA as that is where i hope to do an LLM in Tax. I feel that this will encourage my daughter and i to live a normal healthy life and start afresh. My questions are how likely is it that my daughter and i will be allowed to legally remain in the country after graduation, will i be allowed to take up a job after completing the Bar and if so for how long? Most importantly does anyone know if Law schools offer some kind of student loan to help us survive? I have about £5000 i savings only.

Also, my daughter has special needs and is on the higher rate of ddisabilityliving allowance from the gov and is entitled to about £400 a month. Will she get anything like in the States?

Any replies would be most appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dying for help!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by mas1269
Hi everyone,

Basically, i am in quite a serious situation. My ex partner of 3 years has been harassing me and my daughter with violent threats, and doesnt seem to leave me alone. We have been separated for 2 years now and he still has not got the message yet. I have called the police on numerous occasions and even took him to Court but he was found not guilty as he "promised" not to do it again. Nothing has worked.

I am currently studying in my last year of an LLB law degree in London UK and wish to immigrate to the States, preferably to Boston MA as that is where i hope to do an LLM in Tax. I feel that this will encourage my daughter and i to live a normal healthy life and start afresh. My questions are how likely is it that my daughter and i will be allowed to legally remain in the country after graduation, will i be allowed to take up a job after completing the Bar and if so for how long? Most importantly does anyone know if Law schools offer some kind of student loan to help us survive? I have about £5000 i savings only.

Also, my daughter has special needs and is on the higher rate of ddisabilityliving allowance from the gov and is entitled to about £400 a month. Will she get anything like in the States?

Thank you in advance.

First of all, you will get more, and better, replies if you start your own thread. Second, your situation is very complex, and probably beyond the scope of a web forum. You should seek out an immigration lawyer. Finally, some general comments:
Boston is a very expensive place to live.
Law school in Boston also will be very expensive, especially if you are paying non-resident fees.
I'm not an expert in such matters, but I think it is very unlikely your daughter will qualify for any benefits in the US.

Good luck.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

mas1269 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: When to get married...

thank u
Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:18 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mas1269
Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance.
Aside from the course issues ( I have no idea about that aspect - although I assume you would be looking towards an F-1 visa? ) there are two areas of concern that I can see.
1. Is your ex-partner your daughters father? I ask that because it's probable you will need either his permission or a courts ( if he refuses - which I assume he might given the hostilities) to remove her from the UK. If he is NOT her father then this is not a problem.
2. Daughter's special needs. AFAIK there would be no similar provision from her re: DLA in the US. Depending upon the level of care / medications she requires ( and that she currently receives the high rate of DLA in the UK I'm thinking thats fairly extensive) then this would present you with perhaps a very difficult barrier to overcome finance-wise. I know that DLA can continue being paid if you were to move say to another country in the European Economic Area (EEA) but not to the USA.

Last edited by Songbird; Sep 16th 2008 at 9:24 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Songbird
If he is NOT her father then this is not a problem.
Que? She's some bloke's daughter...even if not the ex-partner in question.....
Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:25 am
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Que? She's some bloke's daughter...even if not the ex-partner in question.....
true *lol* brain fart I had - thanks for the catch
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Songbird
true *lol* brain fart I had - thanks for the catch
I seem to remember being told that law school was c $100,000, and that was not International Rates.

Plus all the extra's.

It sounds a complete no goer. To work you would need an employer prepared to sponsor you, and luck to get a visa in an area that is generally over subscribed.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

grae is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
I seem to remember being told that law school was c $100,000, and that was not International Rates.

Plus all the extra's.

It sounds a complete no goer. To work you would need an employer prepared to sponsor you, and luck to get a visa in an area that is generally over subscribed.
The issue of having to have permission from the father is dependent on a few things, if you were married then he has 'rights' over his daughter and yes you would need permission, however if you weren't (I assume not seeing as you say 'partner' and not ex husband) and he has not sought a 'parental responsibility' order from the courts then he really doesn't have any rights - I'm not a lawyer but that's how it was explained to me when I moved my step son to the US (although the father was agreeable) - either way you really need to check with a solicitor.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grae
The issue of having to have permission from the father is dependent on a few things...
You really should quote the person to whom you're actually responding. Boiler's quote was not about parental rights.

Ian
Old Sep 18th 2008, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

grae is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You really should quote the person to whom you're actually responding. Boiler's quote was not about parental rights.

Ian
apologies .... you are correct, it was supposed to be a follow on from Songbird's reply !