During the initial 2.5 years - travel outside of UK?

Old Jun 1st 2020, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Brightongirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default During the initial 2.5 years - travel outside of UK?

Being optimistic here ... Once my wife, a US citizen, has been issued the initial 2.5 year visa:

A/ What is this visa called, and
B/ How often, or for what period of time, is she allowed to travel outside the UK to visit family in India or return to the US to handle business affairs. (She has a small business that she is closing and may still need to wrap a few things up such as selling property or heaven knows that might be left to accomplish.)

Thanks guys!

Old Jun 1st 2020, 2:03 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: During the initial 2.5 years - travel outside of UK?

A) Officially it’s ‘Spouse/CP‘ but you’ll see it commonly referred to a spouse visa.

B) Technically there’s no time limit on how long you can be outside the UK on a spouse visa for it to remain valid but spending more than half her time outside the UK means you will have difficulties renewing it or applying for ILR/citizenship later on. Ideally she should look to spend a maximum of three months in any given 12 month period outside the UK. You should also keep track of every absence as these will be required for future applications.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Brightongirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: During the initial 2.5 years - travel outside of UK?

Thanks BritInParis. Good advice, we will be sure to keep track of absences. I'll have to limit her trips to India as I know she'll be desperate to get away during the cold winters. (She's only ever lived in Bombay and Florida.)