dual us/uk passport

Old Apr 18th 2015, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

neils789 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default dual us/uk passport

Good Afternoon, I have read through many posts here and have gained a wealth of information regarding this subject.
I was born in the UK 52 years ago from a British born mother, Grandparents etc. and have been in the states now 12 years via green card. I am about to embark in the process of getting my daughter aged 10 a UK passport.
She was born here in the USA in 2004 and I was not married to her mother but through the legal system I do now have custody.
I understand how to fill out most of the required form MN1 and the required documents, I need to submit her birth cert with my name her Mums' permission etc. however I have some questions which of course I do not want to answer incorrectly.

MN1 Section 2 question 2.4 it states "which country will child live in if granted"
well I'm after dual citizenship and may return to the UK or we may not I fear if I put either or maybe UK it would be an auto rejection. Has anyone else here any advice?

On section 3. me the fathers reckonable 3 year period living in the UK, I understand maybe that would need to be proved, however why when I lived there for over 40 years? how can I determine 3 years, which 3? surely my birth cert states the obvious here, or do you say age 1-3? 10-13?

I understand now there is a health charge, great and I can apply from here in the USA so when they require biometrics will there be somewhere local in Florida for us to do this? the home office site is a little vague on this.

Thank you in advance
Old Apr 18th 2015, 10:30 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dual us/uk passport

Originally Posted by neils789
Good Afternoon, I have read through many posts here and have gained a wealth of information regarding this subject.
I was born in the UK 52 years ago from a British born mother, Grandparents etc. and have been in the states now 12 years via green card. I am about to embark in the process of getting my daughter aged 10 a UK passport.
She was born here in the USA in 2004 and I was not married to her mother but through the legal system I do now have custody.
I understand how to fill out most of the required form MN1 and the required documents, I need to submit her birth cert with my name her Mums' permission etc. however I have some questions which of course I do not want to answer incorrectly.

MN1 Section 2 question 2.4 it states "which country will child live in if granted"
well I'm after dual citizenship and may return to the UK or we may not I fear if I put either or maybe UK it would be an auto rejection. Has anyone else here any advice?
There's no requirement to live in the UK. If you aren't planning an immediate return then you can put the USA.

On section 3. me the fathers reckonable 3 year period living in the UK, I understand maybe that would need to be proved, however why when I lived there for over 40 years? how can I determine 3 years, which 3? surely my birth cert states the obvious here, or do you say age 1-3? 10-13?
Your daughter will be applying for registration under Section 4G not Section 4F so there's no residence requirement for you as you were born in the UK.

I understand now there is a health charge, great and I can apply from here in the USA so when they require biometrics will there be somewhere local in Florida for us to do this? the home office site is a little vague on this.

Thank you in advance
No "health charge" for registration as a British citizen. There is now a requirement for your daughter to enrol her biometrics although the biometric enrolment scheme won't be reaching the US until 31 May. The Home Office will write to you when they have decided when and where you'll need to go to have this done. Most likely a third partner Visa Application Centre.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for a prompt answer, I presume then I put n/a in the section 3 box?
Regarding applying from here in the USA it wont let me go further, as the health cert page until I start the process, so here I guess it will have eligibility? which you say is not a requirement, but my concern on the "get from USA" web site is it begins with heath cert then states you need to make an appointment for biometrics and once you have these then you attach them to your application and send them from here to the UK, from reading between the lines I presume as it has not been rolled out for minors (31st may) if I get going on this then again it wont be a requirement just yet?
It seems I am answering my own questions here but just want to do it correctly having gone through the green card and citizenship endless hurdles here over the years.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 3:07 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for a prompt answer, I presume then I put n/a in the section 3 box?
IMPORTANT: Before completing this form, you should read the accompanying Guide. Fill in those parts of the form that apply to this child’s application (see Chapter 3 in the guide) and cross out all other parts. If there is not enough space, please use the ‘Further information not covered in other sections’ page.
(Page 2 of Form MN1)

Regarding applying from here in the USA it wont let me go further, as the health cert page until I start the process, so here I guess it will have eligibility? which you say is not a requirement, but my concern on the "get from USA" web site is it begins with heath cert then states you need to make an appointment for biometrics and once you have these then you attach them to your application and send them from here to the UK, from reading between the lines I presume as it has not been rolled out for minors (31st may) if I get going on this then again it wont be a requirement just yet?
It seems I am answering my own questions here but just want to do it correctly having gone through the green card and citizenship endless hurdles here over the years.
Not sure what you're talking about here. Unlike a visa application you don't submit this application online. You print off Form MN1, complete the relevant sections and post it together with your supporting documentation directly to the Home Office in Liverpool. The Home Office will then write to you with details of your child's appointment for biometric enrolment which will be on a date after 31 May.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

ok well maybe my wires are crossed somehow, so I will do as you say above post etc.
again thank you so much this is a very good informative site.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

... MN1 Section 2 question 2.4 it states "which country will child live in if granted"
well I'm after dual citizenship and may return to the UK or we may not I fear if I put either or maybe UK it would be an auto rejection. ...
If the honest answer to that question is "Not yet decided", I suggest you answer honestly.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

yes it truly is as we really don't know, and honesty is for sure the correct path here but thought to put "not yet decided" may be to ambiguous?
has anyone else here had any experience of putting USA/UK or unsure or undecided.
The truth is my concern being if I put its undecided or either country, then I really do not want the home office to say well then reapply when you know what you want to do, as I was not married to mother and pre 2006 I am applying under the discretion category, so hope you can see my concern here.

thank you
Old Apr 19th 2015, 11:06 pm

yes it truly is as we really don't know, and honesty is for sure the correct path here but thought to put "not yet decided" may be to ambiguous?
has anyone else here had any experience of putting USA/UK or unsure or undecided.
The truth is my concern being if I put its undecided or either country, then I really do not want the home office to say well then reapply when you know what you want to do, as I was not married to mother and pre 2006 I am applying under the discretion category, so hope you can see my concern here.

thank you
It really doesn't matter what you put. It won't have any influence on your daughter's eligibility. Since you are unsure what you plan to do and the current status quo is to remain living in the US I would put that. If you change your mind later the Home Office isn't going to revoke your daughter's citizenship.