British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   (Dual Citizenship) In regards to first time passport overseas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/dual-citizenship-regards-first-time-passport-overseas-925740/)

Majd_1991 Jun 13th 2019 3:48 pm

(Dual Citizenship) In regards to first time passport overseas

Dear all,

I have recently applied for a first time passport for my new born daughter.
My daughter was born in Jordan and has a Jordanian Passport.
Unlike the British Passport in Jordan it is a must for the passport to contain the fathers name and the grandfathers name in addition to the first and last name.

- Format -
First Name, Fathers Name, Grandfathers Name, Last Name.

I just received an email from HMPO asking me to change her name in the Jordanian Passport,
to just the First and Last Name which is impossible based on the Countries laws.

Is it possible to just send them an email explaining that I can't? Would it be of any use?
If not what are my options? Because the email i received states that the sender email is not for general enquiries.

Below is the message I received.

" For us to issue a passport in the name of ***** *****, you need to change the name shown on her Jordanian passport and then send it to us. "

BritInParis if you can be of any help please.

Thank you

scot47 Jun 13th 2019 4:15 pm

Re: (Dual Citizenship) In regards to first time passport overseas

Sounds like the action of an incompetent clerk. Write and ask for a review of this decision. If necessary go through your MP.

That is what I would say. Experts may put a different spin on it.

I wonder what BritInParee will say.

BritInParis Jun 13th 2019 10:35 pm

HMPO won’t issue a passport in a different name to what appears on any foreign passport as an identity fraud prevention measure. That being said what’s happening in this case is a cultural difference in naming conventions rather than a different name. I would ask for a review from someone more senior. Worst case scenario the British passport will have to carry the same names as the Jordanian. If this is insisted upon then I would ask for the Arabic naming format to appear as an ‘also known as’ on the observation page rather than on the bio-data page.

Majd_1991 Jun 14th 2019 4:52 pm

I sent an email today explaining but still waiting for a reply.

In the meantime they have also asked me to send her original birth certificate laminated by the issuing authority. (Jordanian birth certificate)
what does that mean exactly? Should I laminate it before sending it?

Majd_1991 Jun 14th 2019 4:53 pm

Thank you

BritInParis Jun 14th 2019 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Majd_1991 (Post 12698183)
I sent an email today explaining but still waiting for a reply.

In the meantime they have also asked me to send her original birth certificate laminated by the issuing authority. (Jordanian birth certificate)
what does that mean exactly? Should I laminate it before sending it?

Originally Posted by Majd_1991 (Post 12698184)
Thank you

Did they actually use the word ‘laminated’? Which birth certificate did you send when you applied?

Majd_1991 Jun 14th 2019 9:38 pm

I sent a photocopy of the original and a certified translated copy seeing how the birth certificate is in Arabic.

This is what they sent exactly.

- Please send your daughter's original full birth certificate.
Please note we cannot accept photocopied documents and we can only accept laminated documents where the lamination is completed by the issuing authority as part of the standard issuing procedure for the document.

BritInParis Jun 14th 2019 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Majd_1991 (Post 12698306)
I sent a photocopy of the original and a certified translated copy seeing how the birth certificate is in Arabic.

This is what they sent exactly.

- Please send your daughter's original full birth certificate.
Please note we cannot accept photocopied documents and we can only accept laminated documents where the lamination is completed by the issuing authority as part of the standard issuing procedure for the document.

Okay, so they want to see the original, not a photocopy, and don’t laminate it.

Majd_1991 Jun 15th 2019 12:22 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12698329)
Okay, so they want to see the original, not a photocopy, and don’t laminate it.

Okay, great.
Thank you!