Dual citizenship

Old Aug 8th 2013, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

jensan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual citizenship

I was born to UK citizens in 1961 and have a British birth certificate. Shortly after I was born, my parents became US citizens. I am now interested in becoming a dual citizen, and would like to start spending 6 months a year back in Scotland. I am having a very hard time getting any clear answers to what steps I need to take.

Does having a British birth certificate make getting dual citizenship easier?

What else do I need to know and do to make this happen?

Thanks for any and all advice.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 2:28 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual citizenship

Originally Posted by jensan
I was born to UK citizens in 1961 and have a British birth certificate. Shortly after I was born, my parents became US citizens. I am now interested in becoming a dual citizen, and would like to start spending 6 months a year back in Scotland. I am having a very hard time getting any clear answers to what steps I need to take.
Hi Jensan, welcome!

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you saying you know you have US citizenship and would like to look into whether you're actually entitled to British citizenship as well?

If that's your question, have you looked at our own Britishexpats wiki on the subject of British citizenship for those born in the UK?

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...United_Kingdom

Further questions on British (not American) citizenship can be answered on the "Moving Back to the UK" board of BE.

Last edited by WEBlue; Aug 8th 2013 at 2:33 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Aug 8th 2013, 2:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Hi Jensan, welcome!

I'm not sure I understand you question. Are you saying you know you have US citizenship and would like to look into whether you actually entitled to British citizenship as well?

Have you looked at our own Britishexpats wiki on the subject of British citizenship for those born in the UK?

I think you could be right...I will move this over to the MBTTUK Forum,
Old Aug 8th 2013, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Default getting dual citizenship

I am a US citizen, born in New York to UK parents who later became US citizens as well. I am looking to spend much more time in, and possibly move to, Scotland over the next few years.

I discovered that I have a British birth certificate (as well as a US birth certificate) and am wondering if that will make the process of obtaining dual citizenship easier.

I am also looking for good information on becoming a dual citizen, but the embassy website isn't very clear and the phones are never answered.

Any advice?
Old Aug 8th 2013, 3:27 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting dual citizenship

I am a US citizen, born in New York to UK parents who later became US citizens as well. I am looking to spend much more time in, and possibly move to, Scotland over the next few years.

I discovered that I have a British birth certificate (as well as a US birth certificate) and am wondering if that will make the process of obtaining dual citizenship easier.

I am also looking for good information on becoming a dual citizen, but the embassy website isn't very clear and the phones are never answered.

Any advice?
The fact that you have a British Birth cert, means that you are a British Citizen, and could get a British Passport now, and are already have dual citizenship.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Duplicate thread.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 5:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse

Threads merged
Old Aug 8th 2013, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Hi Jensan, welcome!

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you saying you know you have US citizenship and would like to look into whether you're actually entitled to British citizenship as well?

If that's your question, have you looked at our own Britishexpats wiki on the subject of British citizenship for those born in the UK?

Further questions on British (not American) citizenship can be answered on the "Moving Back to the UK" board of BE.
I have posted on the moving back to the UK, but not sure that is the right place either, as my position may be a little unique. I was born in the US and have always only had US citizenship, even though I do have both a US and a UK birth certificate (or at least that is what I think the UK certificate is). My parents were Brits when I was born, but then became US citizens. I do not believe they were dual citizens, and since they have both passed away, I am trying to find that information out. Either way, my hope is to gain dual citizenship......and I am having a difficult time figuring out how best to do that and how difficult it will be. My children are also interested in getting dual citizenship if I am able to do so. Any advice?
Old Aug 8th 2013, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The fact that you have a British Birth cert, means that you are a British Citizen, and could get a British Passport now, and are already have dual citizenship.

Any idea if me getting dual citizenship helps my children get dual citizenship as well? They are US born and US citizens now, ages 22, 21, 19, 15.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Any idea if me getting dual citizenship helps my children get dual citizenship as well? They are US born and US citizens now, ages 22, 21, 19, 15.
It sounds like you are British by descent, and have been since you were born (i.e. there is no need to apply for it - only need to apply for a UK passport if you want to spend an extended amount of time there).

This means your children are not British citizens. If you have spent at least 3 continuous years living in the UK before your 15 year old was born, then you can apply to register that child as British by descent - but the others are too old for that now.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 9:14 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I have posted on the moving back to the UK, but not sure that is the right place either, as my position may be a little unique. I was born in the US and have always only had US citizenship, even though I do have both a US and a UK birth certificate (or at least that is what I think the UK certificate is). My parents were Brits when I was born, but then became US citizens. I do not believe they were dual citizens, and since they have both passed away, I am trying to find that information out. Either way, my hope is to gain dual citizenship......and I am having a difficult time figuring out how best to do that and how difficult it will be. My children are also interested in getting dual citizenship if I am able to do so. Any advice?
Your parents were also dual citizens, despite what is in the the oath of allegiance to the USA you do NOT lose your British citizenship when you become the citizen of any other country. It's quite a difficulf thing to lose.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 10:25 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Your parents were also dual citizens, despite what is in the the oath of allegiance to the USA you do NOT lose your British citizenship when you become the citizen of any other country. It's quite a difficulf thing to lose.
Yes, you cannot give up your British citizenship without renouncing it, which requires making a declaration on a special form and registering it with the Home Office. Don't know if it was always the exact same procedure, but it was not easily done, at any rate.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...upnationality/
Old Aug 10th 2013, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a British birth certificate, surely you ARE already a British citizen ?
Old Aug 10th 2013, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scot47
If you have a British birth certificate, surely you ARE already a British citizen ?
Putting the specific topic of this thread aside for a moment, since 1983 a person born in the UK is not necessarily a British citizen - so a British birth certificate does not necessarily mean British citizenship.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 11:56 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Putting the specific topic of this thread aside for a moment, since 1983 a person born in the UK is not necessarily a British citizen - so a British birth certificate does not necessarily mean British citizenship.
Very true, but as the applicant was born outside the UK, and therefore presumably holds a British consular birth registration certificate, then they will be British (or at least they were at the time the certificate was issued) as you cannot be registered unless you are already automatically British at birth.

Last edited by BritInParis; Aug 10th 2013 at 11:57 pm. Reason: Typo