Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Dual citizen - going back to UK on one way ticket - expired UK passport

Dual citizen - going back to UK on one way ticket - expired UK passport

Old May 30th 2013, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Saladmonster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual citizen - going back to UK on one way ticket - expired UK passport

Good morning!

I am moving back to the UK for good on June 25th. I have a one way ticket and both US and UK passports. I was planning on leaving the US on my US passport and entering the UK on my UK passport. Trouble is..as I was assembling my papers I just found out my UK passport expired in March! Yikes. Can I enter the UK on my US passport with a one way ticket, and then renew my UK passport when I'm home? The other complication is i just got married and i was trying to hold off updating passports until after i got home. Anyone have any wisdom?
Any thanks!
Old May 30th 2013, 3:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual citizen - going back to UK on one way ticket - expired UK passport

Once you're in the UK having an expired UK passport is a non issue. I'd just use the US passport to enter the UK, and forget about the expired UK passport. It's not like they're going to deport a British citizen from the UK for "overstaying" on a US passport!
Old May 30th 2013, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Dual citizen - going back to UK on one way ticket - expired UK passport

Hehe! I hope not! Thanks for putting my mind at rest - I've got so much going on that I just didn't even think about expiration dates!
Old May 30th 2013, 5:50 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Dual citizen - going back to UK on one way ticket - expired UK passport

Originally Posted by Saladmonster
Good morning!

I am moving back to the UK for good on June 25th. I have a one way ticket and both US and UK passports. I was planning on leaving the US on my US passport and entering the UK on my UK passport. Trouble is..as I was assembling my papers I just found out my UK passport expired in March! Yikes. Can I enter the UK on my US passport with a one way ticket, and then renew my UK passport when I'm home? The other complication is i just got married and i was trying to hold off updating passports until after i got home. Anyone have any wisdom?
Any thanks!
See this BE thread with the very same question:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=631083

Of course you need to use the US passport to exit the USA. However, I would just show both passports in the UK and tell the Immigration Officer that you have flown in on a one-way ticket and there wasn't time to renew your British passport. I don't think you will have any problems whatsoever.....it would be crazy to have your US passport stamped as a visitor to the UK....you would then appear to be an overstayer which may be to your disadvantage in the future if you use your American passport and there is no proof that you left the UK after your 'visit' lol!
Old May 30th 2013, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
... However, I would just show both passports in the UK and tell the Immigration Officer that you have flown in on a one-way ticket and there wasn't time to renew your British passport.
Yes. Birth certificate too if it is easily to hand.
Old May 30th 2013, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

AngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really nice

What about an emergency passport? I am in a similar position, my passport expired a couple of months ago and I needed a vault copy of my marriage certificate which has taken 6 months to come. I finally sent off for my new passport yesterday. I'm hoping to fly out on the 24th and praying it will be here on time but will get an emergency one if I need to (haven't booked flights yet thankfully but head is set on the 24th).
Old May 30th 2013, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saladmonster
Good morning!

Any thanks!
This came up on an earlier post and the advice given was that if you tried to enter the UK on a US passport without a return flight you would be denied entry. Just show them both and you should be fine.
Old May 30th 2013, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AngelaV
What about an emergency passport? I am in a similar position, my passport expired a couple of months ago and I needed a vault copy of my marriage certificate which has taken 6 months to come. I finally sent off for my new passport yesterday. I'm hoping to fly out on the 24th and praying it will be here on time but will get an emergency one if I need to (haven't booked flights yet thankfully but head is set on the 24th).
On your way soon then?! Best of luck!! I've sent you an email
Old May 30th 2013, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

AngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really nice

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
On your way soon then?! Best of luck!! I've sent you an email
I sent you an e-mail back, did you get it?
Old May 30th 2013, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AngelaV
I sent you an e-mail back, did you get it?
Got one, and I responded but didn't get a second
Old May 31st 2013, 10:46 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Show both and explain your situation, you should be okay providing you haven't changed your appearance drastically.

As mentioned, a belt and braces approach would be to apply for an ETD.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

winston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to behold

As a British citizen you don't need a passport to enter the UK. You just need reasonable proof that you are a British Citizen and a passport is the usual method. Your expired passport provides that proof, no need to show your US passport.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 11:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

One way ticket? Usually cheaper to buy a return ticket...obviously you don't have to use it.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

Yes - usually the case but I saved about $700 by doing one way!
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Once you're in the UK having an expired UK passport is a non issue. I'd just use the US passport to enter the UK, and forget about the expired UK passport. It's not like they're going to deport a British citizen from the UK for "overstaying" on a US passport!
I don't think it is that simple. Many years ago when things were a lot slacker I got a letter, still have it, from the chief constable which said he had been in contact with the Home Office and he said I was allowed to stay??

The big thing here is proving she has British citizenship otherwise they will ship her right back to where she came from.

I had a friend who is an American and they shipped her back on the next plane out of Heathrow. I know this is different but I just can't get over this happening. She was not allowed to contact anyone while she was there. Her boy friend was waiting for her to come through emigration and he couldn't understand why she didn't come through.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.