Dual Brit/Oz & Oz partner move to UK need tips..

Old Oct 18th 2004, 7:25 am
Just Joined

robm is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Dual Brit/Oz & Oz partner move to UK need tips..

hi

my girlfriend of 3 1/2 years and i are planning an extended holiday in the UK and europe. we have only just moved in together and will have about 6 months documented proof of this (bills..etc.). we plan to live in uk and save for euro holidays.

i have a dual australian/british citizenship and my partner is australian. can any give any tips what we should do now to help our cause later if we decide to stay longer than a couple of years?

also can any one tell me what is the benefit of having a dual citizenship? besides being able to stay in the UK permanently and not needing visas for europe. ie can i use the national health plan? Will i have to get travel health insurance for my whole trip? will it be easier/harder to get traveller jobs?

thanks

rob
Old Oct 18th 2004, 11:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Brit/Oz & Oz partner move to UK need tips..

Originally Posted by robm
hi

my girlfriend of 3 1/2 years and i are planning an extended holiday in the UK and europe. we have only just moved in together and will have about 6 months documented proof of this (bills..etc.). we plan to live in uk and save for euro holidays.
If you are planning to *live* in the UK, she needs to be very careful about her visa status. http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk is the place to start.

Coming to the UK as a tourist and then saying you plan to live there is a recipe to be refused entry on arrival (I'm referring to her, not you)

i have a dual australian/british citizenship and my partner is australian. can any give any tips what we should do now to help our cause later if we decide to stay longer than a couple of years?
As far as I'm aware, it's now not possible to switch status onshore in the UK if admitted for 6 months or less (she may need to go back to Australia to get the right visa). The UK visas website will tell you more, or the HO IND website, http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk

also can any one tell me what is the benefit of having a dual citizenship? besides being able to stay in the UK permanently and not needing visas for europe. ie can i use the national health plan? Will i have to get travel health insurance for my whole trip? will it be easier/harder to get traveller jobs?
You can only use the NHS if you are _living_ in the UK, not visiting. It is worth having travel insurance to be on the safe side.

Getting traveller jobs - you at least can work legally, your girlfriend can't unless she gets another visa. Is the working holiday or ancestry visa an option for her if she can't get a spouse visa?

Jeremy
Old Oct 18th 2004, 3:04 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Brit/Oz & Oz partner move to UK need tips..

You might find this website to be of interest (especially your girlfriend re; visas and working in the UK). There is a UK site and an Australian site for you to choose from - and the magazine is freely available in London eg. near Trafalgar Square (Charing Cross station etc.):

http://www.tntmagazine.com