Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Does a UKC who has lived in US for 5 years need a visa to return to UK?

Does a UKC who has lived in US for 5 years need a visa to return to UK?

Old Apr 7th 2011, 3:17 am
Just Joined

helenjf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does a UKC who has lived in US for 5 years need a visa to return to UK?

Hi,

I searched the forum and couldn't see this question posted, but sorry if it has and I missed it.
I've been living in US for 5 years and have been married to a USC for half a year now. We're considering moving to UK to be close to my family when starting our own. I understand my husband needs a marriage visa to stay in UK for longer than 6 months and with this he can work, although should become a citizen asap to make it easier to get work (unless he can move with a job). But for me, do I need a visa of any kind to stay longer than 6 months? I'd think not as I'm a UK citizen but just wanted to check. Do I need a job offer in UK?

Thanks
Helen
Old Apr 7th 2011, 3:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does a UKC who has lived in US for 5 years need a visa to return to UK?

Originally Posted by helenjf
Hi,

I searched the forum and couldn't see this question posted, but sorry if it has and I missed it.
I've been living in US for 5 years and have been married to a USC for half a year now. We're considering moving to UK to be close to my family when starting our own. I understand my husband needs a marriage visa to stay in UK for longer than 6 months and with this he can work, although should become a citizen asap to make it easier to get work (unless he can move with a job). But for me, do I need a visa of any kind to stay longer than 6 months? I'd think not as I'm a UK citizen but just wanted to check. Do I need a job offer in UK?

Thanks
Helen
If you are a UK citizen you do not need a visa to return to the UK.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 3:37 am
Just Joined

helenjf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does a UKC who has lived in US for 5 years need a visa to return to UK?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you are a UK citizen you do not need a visa to return to the UK.
Thanks. I hear it's not easy for Americans to get jobs in UK as priority is EU citizens - how quickly can he apply for dual citizenship?
Old Apr 7th 2011, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

how quickly can he apply for dual citizenship?
3 years residency in the UK (some absences are allowable) for those married to a British citizen at time of applying for citizenship.

He'll have to apply for permanent residency before then (using SET(M) form) which would normally about 2 years after he arrives in the UK.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 5:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

You don't need a visa (your spouse does) but if you are not a US citizen have you thought about the consequences of abandoning your immigration status in the United States?