Does the job have to be in the UK - Confused

Old Nov 14th 2016, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

CalgaryStampeder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does the job have to be in the UK - Confused

I've been reading a few threads here about people that have been working in other countries for so long, I always figured you needed to have been working in the UK? I've been in Texas for 3 years, I've been working for over 2, and my gross annual salary is just under $30,000, would I be able to move back to the UK with my US Spouse, I was always under the impression I would have to move by myself, get a job then file for her?
Old Nov 14th 2016, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does the job have to be in the UK - Confused

I think you can use savings to reduce the amount you are required to be earning. I have the same understanding as you with regards to the work situation.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

This maybe slightly out of date, but I couldn't find the Government website

Sponsors that have over £62,500 in savings meet the UKBA requirement automatically under Category D (cash savings). Those relying on salaried employment must have been employed by the same company for at least six months immediately preceding the date of filing the settlement application, unless they have received in the 12 months prior to the application the level of income, whether through earnings or other non-employment sources, required to satisfy the UKBA criteria for sponsorship.

The following non-employment income can be used as evidence of meeting the financial requirement alone or combined with other permitted categories as defined by the UKBA:

Rental income
Dividends or other income from investments
Trust funds, bonds, stocks and shares
Interest payments from personal savings
Maintenance payments from a former partner
UK maternity allowance
Bereavement allowance
Bereavement payment
A maintenance grant or stipend
Old Nov 14th 2016, 5:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Natonstan
I've been reading a few threads here about people that have been working in other countries for so long, I always figured you needed to have been working in the UK? I've been in Texas for 3 years, I've been working for over 2, and my gross annual salary is just under $30,000, would I be able to move back to the UK with my US Spouse, I was always under the impression I would have to move by myself, get a job then file for her?
You are slightly confused - there are two alternative ways to meet the income requirements to support a spouse visa for the UK:

(i) you have a job in the UK that pays at least £18,600pa and you hold that job for at least six months before you can apply for a visa for your spouse. This route likely means that you have to return to the UK ahead of your spouse and family.

OR

(ii) you have a job that pays at least £18,600 pa eqiv where you currently live AND you have a documented offer of a job paying at least £18,600pa in the UK to start within three months of your return. This route means that you can all return to the UK together, as a family unit.

HTH

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 14th 2016 at 5:33 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This site explains it better with multiple examples

Understanding financial requirements for spouse, civil partner and unmarried partner visas | Maxwell Alves Solicitors Chinese Brazilian Greek London England

If the applicant (and/or partner if in the UK) cannot satisfy the £18,600 requirement, then cash savings may be used. The minimum amount of cash savings required is £16,000. The amount of savings that can be used (Y) is:

[Savings (X) – £16,000] / 2.5 = Y

For example, the UK partner has £25,000 savings. (£25,000 – £16,000) divided by 2.5 = £3,600. Therefore £3,600 can be added to the salary earned.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Read the following document carefully as it describes the categories under which you can apply:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...equirement.pdf

Basically, as Pulaski has indicated there are different categories:

- If you have a current job earning 18,600 GBP and you have a job to go to in the UK starting within 3 months of return you can apply for the spouse visa now and travel to the UK together.

-If you don't have qualifying job now and no job in UK lined up, then YOU travel to the UK, get a job and after 6 months apply for the visa.

- if you have 62,500 GBP in savings/investments you can apply for visa now

- combination of income from employment and savings to make up shortfall

The document explains it all.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 6:19 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
This site explains it better with multiple examples

Understanding financial requirements for spouse, civil partner and unmarried partner visas | Maxwell Alves Solicitors Chinese Brazilian Greek London England

If the applicant (and/or partner if in the UK) cannot satisfy the £18,600 requirement, then cash savings may be used. The minimum amount of cash savings required is £16,000. The amount of savings that can be used (Y) is:

[Savings (X) – £16,000] / 2.5 = Y

For example, the UK partner has £25,000 savings. (£25,000 – £16,000) divided by 2.5 = £3,600. Therefore £3,600 can be added to the salary earned.
Only UK government websites, such as the one linked to in SanDiegogirl's post, should be used for information and research. The page linked to in the post above contains incorrect information.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Only UK government websites, such as the one linked to in SanDiegogirl's post, should be used for information and research. The page linked to in the post above contains incorrect information.
Also note that links directly to documents, even on government websites may be out of date. They should give you a starting point.

You can go through the UK government immigration site to also find the same information.

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/eligibility

Last edited by mrken30; Nov 14th 2016 at 6:43 pm.