British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Document Dates (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/document-dates-916284/)

Mrs.E Aug 20th 2018 10:09 am

Document Dates

Hey There,

I’m so sorry to ask as this may sound like a little bit of a silly question, but I don’t want to jeopardise my application in anyway - particularly with something like a date!

With documentation like the applicant and sponsor letters, sponsors’ employer letter, property inspection report etc., should they be dated before or after the date I complete the online application?
And if before the date of the online submission, how far back is allowable?

Any clarification would be great and will bring me so much relief!

Thank You :)

BritInParis Aug 20th 2018 10:23 am

Re: Document Dates

Before the online application submission date. How far back will depend on the document but you won’t go wrong if you keep it within 28 days.

Mrs.E Aug 20th 2018 10:32 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12551391)
Before the online application submission date. How far back will depend on the document but you won’t go wrong if you keep it within 28 days.

Thank you so much for your response, BritInParis!
You really are a gem in these forums :)

Nora_ Aug 20th 2018 10:57 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12551391)

Hi

All my financial documents, employment letters were within 28 days, but supporting letters from family and friends were dated longer, as we started to prepare them :( can it be a reason for rejection if everything else is fine?

johannalouise Aug 20th 2018 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Nora_ (Post 12551405)
Hi

All my financial documents, employment letters were within 28 days, but supporting letters from family and friends were dated longer, as we started to prepare them :( can it be a reason for rejection if everything else is fine?

Supporting letters from family & friends hold no weight in the application & won't be considered; so the date on them is irrelevant.

Nora_ Aug 21st 2018 9:40 am

Originally Posted by johannalouise (Post 12551423)
Supporting letters from family & friends hold no weight in the application & won't be considered; so the date on them is irrelevant.

What? How? Why?

Our solicitor asked us to provide it. Hmm...

Nora_ Aug 21st 2018 9:44 am

I just realised something with my application :(
Letter from employer is provided on 06/06/2018
Online application was on 04/07/2018
Biometrics was on 11/07/2018
However, our solicitor told us that employment letter is out of date and asked me to get a new one with current date. Which I did on 12/07/2017.
Supporting documents sent on 13/07/2018 and received on 17/07/2018. Now - I don't know which letter solicitor put with my documents, because if she put later one does it mean that it will be instantly discarded because it's after application? :(

BritInParis Aug 21st 2018 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Nora_ (Post 12551956)
I just realised something with my application :(
Letter from employer is provided on 06/06/2018
Online application was on 04/07/2018
Biometrics was on 11/07/2018
However, our solicitor told us that employment letter is out of date and asked me to get a new one with current date. Which I did on 12/07/2017.
Supporting documents sent on 13/07/2018 and received on 17/07/2018. Now - I don't know which letter solicitor put with my documents, because if she put later one does it mean that it will be instantly discarded because it's after application? :(

Quite possibly. If everything else is in order it may not matter however.

johannalouise Aug 21st 2018 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Nora_ (Post 12551955)
What? How? Why?

Our solicitor asked us to provide it. Hmm...

Solicitors say a lot of things but family/friends letters are completely subjective. If you think about it, from the ECO's point of view - these people could be anyone! You could even write the letters yourself & forge the signatures.
Many people get their visas without any letters from friends/family. It's not a listed required evidence or even suggested evidence in any of the government web pages or guides.

The important thing now, is just to focus on the required documents and making sure those are all perfect for your application.

Nora_ Aug 21st 2018 10:45 am

Originally Posted by johannalouise (Post 12551978)
Solicitors say a lot of things but family/friends letters are completely subjective. If you think about it, from the ECO's point of view - these people could be anyone! You could even write the letters yourself & forge the signatures.
Many people get their visas without any letters from friends/family. It's not a listed required evidence or even suggested evidence in any of the government web pages or guides.

The important thing now, is just to focus on the required documents and making sure those are all perfect for your application.

I still think that if they had 0 value - and ECOs just bin them anyways, then no solicitor would recommend it. I see here as well so many people provide it to support their relationship especially if it was long distance.

Similarly with photos and online conversations - anyone can create fake photos and conversations.

BritInParis Aug 21st 2018 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Nora_ (Post 12551988)
I still think that if they had 0 value - and ECOs just bin them anyways, then no solicitor would recommend it. I see here as well so many people provide it to support their relationship especially if it was long distance.

Similarly with photos and online conversations - anyone can create fake photos and conversations.

Any document can be faked - it's a question of how likely/difficult that would be. A letter of support from a family member or friend is virtually meaningless as anyone could've written it and its contents is worthless unless supported by evidence. Photographs and social media/online chat carry more weight as they are evidence of a relationship rather than assertions about one.

Nora_ Aug 21st 2018 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12552003)
Any document can be faked - it's a question of how likely/difficult that would be. A letter of support from a family member or friend is virtually meaningless as anyone could've written it and its contents is worthless unless supported by evidence. Photographs and social media/online chat carry more weight as they are evidence of a relationship rather than assertions about one.

I see. Thank you