Document checklist (what to mail?)

Old Jan 8th 2020, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

alyssalou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Document checklist (what to mail?)

Hi everyone, we're finally ready to send off our application, I just was hoping someone might be able to look over our document list and tell me if I'm missing something. There's so much information out there and some of it is outdated, it's hard to keep track of what's needed and what isn't. I'm the applicant (US), my husband is a British citizen.

Applicant:
Cover Letter
Current passport
Old passport copy
Former UK visa copies (student visa and marriage visitor visa)
2 passport photos

Sponsor:
Cover letter
Copy of passport

Relationship evidence:
Photos spanning the entire length of the relationship, captioned and dated, including friends and family
Facebook messages, 2-3 screenshots for every month of the relationship (I excluded 6 months where we were not together for 'personal growth' reasons, and explained such in both my cover letter and the document containing the screenshots, but we still talked during that time and can include them if needed)
Marriage certificate (it wouldn't fit in my scanner so I took a photo and cropped it; will this be a problem? Should I take it somewhere to be professionally scanned?)

Financial evidence (Cat A):
6 months payslips
Letter from employer confirming both his employment and the authenticity of the payslips
6 months bank statements, stamped on every page by the bank

Accommodation evidence (privately rented):
Signed letter from letting agent confirming his tenancy, the type of house, number of rooms etc., and that they're happy to add me to the lease once I have an approved visa

Misc
Appendix 2

Am I missing anything? I will be uploading my documents myself and attending a visa application support center in Chicago for biometrics, then mailing my passport to the USCIS Application Support Center in New York. What, if anything, needs to be included with my passport (and I'm assuming the passport photos)?

We have not lived together so have no joint bills/correspondence.

Thanks!
Old Jan 11th 2020, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Document checklist (what to mail?)

I’m going to assume by the lack of response that I haven’t missed anything glaring, and as far as I’ve been able to gather via the application process I don’t need to mail all of my supporting documents (someone please please tell me if I’m wrong).

Therefore, what I’m going to mail is: my passport, a copy of my husband’s passport, my biometrics page/receipt, my healthcare surcharge receipt, my document checklist, and possibly (probably) my original marriage certificate.

Just noting this down here for anyone who might have similar questions, and hopefully someone will correct me if it’s wrong.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...isa-in-the-usa

Your biometric confirmation receipt will be stamped at your appointment. You then have 5 days to mail this, your application form, your passport and supporting documents to VFS Services USA Inc. All applications must be accompanied by a valid passport with at least one page blank on both sides. If the application is mailed without a passport the application will be refused.

As per the above statement I read this as you should mail all your supporting documents. Finance, relationship, accommodation
Old Jan 11th 2020, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...isa-in-the-usa

Your biometric confirmation receipt will be stamped at your appointment. You then have 5 days to mail this, your application form, your passport and supporting documents to VFS Services USA Inc. All applications must be accompanied by a valid passport with at least one page blank on both sides. If the application is mailed without a passport the application will be refused.

As per the above statement I read this as you should mail all your supporting documents. Finance, relationship, accommodation
Thanks for replying! I do remember reading that, but also during the application process (naturally I can't find it now), I distinctly remember reading something along the lines of "mail your supporting documents if you choose not to upload them." So supporting documents as you referenced them may just mean the ones on the document checklist provided (my passport, husband passport, marriage certificate was all that was on mine)? That's the main reason I'm seeking clarity.

Editing to add, it specifically mentions mailing to VFS Services - which would be the case if I purchased scanning assistance, which I did not. I am mailing my passport to the USCIS Application Support Center in New York.

Last edited by alyssalou; Jan 11th 2020 at 9:40 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alyssalou
Thanks for replying! I do remember reading that, but also during the application process (naturally I can't find it now), I distinctly remember reading something along the lines of "mail your supporting documents if you choose not to upload them." So supporting documents as you referenced them may just mean the ones on the document checklist provided (my passport, husband passport, marriage certificate was all that was on mine)? That's the main reason I'm seeking clarity.

Editing to add, it specifically mentions mailing to VFS Services - which would be the case if I purchased scanning assistance, which I did not. I am mailing my passport to the USCIS Application Support Center in New York.
What documents have you scanned and uploaded?

I don't know what document checklist you refer to. You provide by mail the same documents you scanned and uploaded as far as I am aware.

Note: as per the link I gave you, can you scan documents for an application from the US for a visa for the UK? I don't see anything in the link which mentions scanning documents, and the link was last updated August 2019.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Jan 11th 2020 at 10:43 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
What documents have you scanned and uploaded?

I don't know what document checklist you refer to. You provide by mail the same documents you scanned and uploaded as far as I am aware.

Note: as per the link I gave you, can you scan documents for an application from the US for a visa for the UK? I don't see anything in the link which mentions scanning documents, and the link was last updated August 2019.
I'm attaching the Document Checklist I was given and told to download upon completing and paying for my application on the gov.uk site. The formatting might have gotten messed up as I converted it to a Word document and back to edit out personal information.

After applying on the gov.uk site, I was sent to VFS Global to scan my documents and set up my biometrics appointment. I had the option to upload my documents myself or purchase scanning assistance, which I did not do.

Everything I uploaded is in the OP. It just seems silly to me that you would have to both upload AND mail everything, like I can send them my 42 pages of Facebook screenshots but I'd rather save on the printing and mailing costs if I can.

https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/us/en/how-to-apply

I know that this application process was changed very recently; maybe the change was after August 2019 and the gov.uk site hasn't been updated?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Document Checklist edited.pdf (106.1 KB, 136 views)