Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Do you have to provide foreign passport for UK passport application?

Do you have to provide foreign passport for UK passport application?

Old Dec 3rd 2021, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

jhart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do you have to provide foreign passport for UK passport application?

We are a half-British family moving back to the UK next year. I am getting UK passports for the kids. The UK passport application requires that I provide original copies of any other passports the kids hold. Is this really mandatory? We live near the US-Mexico border and often cross the border a few times over the winter. We need our US passports for those trips. Can you simply not send your other passports? I mean, how would the UK govt know whether or not you have other passports?
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 6:23 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have to provide foreign passport for UK passport application?

Hi

Originally Posted by jhart
We are a half-British family moving back to the UK next year. I am getting UK passports for the kids. The UK passport application requires that I provide original copies of any other passports the kids hold. Is this really mandatory? We live near the US-Mexico border and often cross the border a few times over the winter. We need our US passports for those trips. Can you simply not send your other passports? I mean, how would the UK govt know whether or not you have other passports?
1. Re-read it. It says COPIEs of the passports, not the originals.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Do you have to provide foreign passport for UK passport application?

Yes, but elsewhere on the site there is stern language that everything you provide must be original copies, not photocopies, not certified copies. I guess this doesn't apply to the passports then? That's a relief.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

② Uncancelled non-British passports: Please send us a colour photocopy of your non-British passport (every page including blank pages). We retain the right to ask for the original passport. We will let you know by email or post if we need you to send it to us. ③

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Dec 3rd 2021 at 7:59 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 7:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We sent coloured photo copies.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 11:33 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Send copies or not. Either way you’ll still getting your passport.
Old Dec 4th 2021, 10:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I've never sent them my Aus passport. They don't know I have one, and I keep forgetting to put it in the application....... They still send me the new UK one as requested.
Old Dec 4th 2021, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Yup, that's what I'm thinking: we'll just forget to include the US passport photo copies. I feel like that information can only be used against us at some point for some reason...

Thanks for pulling the exact text on the photocopies. I missed that.
Old Dec 4th 2021, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, that's what I'm thinking: we'll just forget to include the US passport photo copies. I feel like that information can only be used against us at some point for some reason...

????? only if you have something to hide .......
Old Dec 4th 2021, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Well, let's say at some point in the future they decide that they don't want dual citizens and force us to choose, as some countries do.
Old Dec 4th 2021, 9:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Remember you are signing a government document as being truthful. Why not send coloured copies of your US PP?
Old Dec 4th 2021, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, let's say at some point in the future they decide that they don't want dual citizens and force us to choose, as some countries do.

Well unless you have lied on the application form, the authorities already know your kids are US citizens as their place of birth is on the UK passport - and that was the US was it not?
Old Dec 4th 2021, 9:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

You are overthinking this and seeing problems where there are none. Just answer all the questions truthfully and send copies of your US passport.

You will have to file US and UK taxes…if you live in the UK…so will your children at some point. That may give them a clue.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 4th 2021 at 10:49 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2021, 12:07 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

They’re asking for copies of your other passports to ensure they’re not issuing your British passport in a name that differs to the one that appears on your non-British passport(s).
Old Dec 12th 2021, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Prut is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
They’re asking for copies of your other passports to ensure they’re not issuing your British passport in a name that differs to the one that appears on your non-British passport(s).
so what do they do if some of the first names do not match?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.