British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Do my children need a British passport to visit the UK on holiday? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/do-my-children-need-british-passport-visit-uk-holiday-924130/)

wendymc Apr 13th 2019 3:38 pm

Do my children need a British passport to visit the UK on holiday?
 
Hi all,
My children have Canadian and Australian passports (they were born in Australia but we now live in Canada). They are also British citizens by descent as my husband is British. We are taking them to England on holiday - does anyone know if we need to get a British passport for them, or are they fine to enter on their Canadian passport as we are only there for a holiday?

Thanks!
Wendy

Twitcher1958 Apr 13th 2019 3:43 pm

Re: Do my children need a British passport to visit the UK on holiday?
 

Originally Posted by wendymc (Post 12670177)
Hi all,
My children have Canadian and Australian passports (they were born in Australia but we now live in Canada). They are also British citizens by descent as my husband is British. We are taking them to England on holiday - does anyone know if we need to get a British passport for them, or are they fine to enter on their Canadian passport as we are only there for a holiday?

Thanks!
Wendy

AFAIK Canadians have to have a Canadian passport to enter Canada, as a Canadian citizen can’t apply for an ETA, but a British citizen can enter the UK on a different passport without any problem, apart from possibly longer queues.

wendymc Apr 13th 2019 3:44 pm

Re: Do my children need a British passport to visit the UK on holiday?
 
Thank you so much for the quick reply!

AlliF Apr 13th 2019 3:49 pm

Re: Do my children need a British passport to visit the UK on holiday?
 

Originally Posted by wendymc (Post 12670177)
Hi all,
My children have Canadian and Australian passports (they were born in Australia but we now live in Canada). They are also British citizens by descent as my husband is British. We are taking them to England on holiday - does anyone know if we need to get a British passport for them, or are they fine to enter on their Canadian passport as we are only there for a holiday?

Thanks!
Wendy

My kid was born in Australia also and we never had any difficulty entering the UK without a British passport. We used our Australian ones before we were Canadian.
(We all have triple citizenship - Australian/British/Canadian) we are now all travelling on Canadian passports only.

Twitcher1958 Apr 13th 2019 3:49 pm

Re: Do my children need a British passport to visit the UK on holiday?
 
I think that’s correct but sure someone will contribute if not

wendymc Apr 13th 2019 3:52 pm

Re: Do my children need a British passport to visit the UK on holiday?
 

Originally Posted by AlliF (Post 12670184)

My kid was born in Australia also and we never had any difficulty entering the UK without a British passport. We used our Australian ones before we were Canadian.
(We all have triple citizenship - Australian/British/Canadian) we are now all travelling on Canadian passports only.



My kids are the same :) I didn't get my youngest an Aussie passport and when we left Aus to move to Canada we had a bit of hassle from Immigration. They told me that if we come back to Aus, even just for a holiday, we should all be entering on our Australian passports - just FYI if you go over for a holiday! (And also the reason I was checking the UK requirements!)

AlliF Apr 13th 2019 3:59 pm

Re: Do my children need a British passport to visit the UK on holiday?
 

Originally Posted by wendymc (Post 12670190)
My kids are the same :) I didn't get my youngest an Aussie passport and when we left Aus to move to Canada we had a bit of hassle from Immigration. They told me that if we come back to Aus, even just for a holiday, we should all be entering on our Australian passports - just FYI if you go over for a holiday! (And also the reason I was checking the UK requirements!)

Good to know - we just renewed hers as it was only a 5 yr one, but ours will be due for renewal in a few years. Had to book an appointment months in advance for a renewal for her as there’s no Australian embassy here in Winnipeg.
We went last June to the UK all on Australian passports (mine and my husbands British ones expired) no trouble.

inggris Apr 13th 2019 11:48 pm

Re: Do my children need a British passport to visit the UK on holiday?
 

Originally Posted by wendymc (Post 12670177)
... are they fine to enter on their Canadian passport as we are only there for a holiday?...

How many days are you going to spend for the holiday in the UK?


HGerchikov Apr 14th 2019 1:35 pm

Re: Do my children need a British passport to visit the UK on holiday?
 
I went to the UK on my Canadian passport as my British one had expired. No problem at all.

wendymc Apr 14th 2019 2:29 pm

Re: Do my children need a British passport to visit the UK on holiday?
 

Originally Posted by inggris (Post 12670369)
How many days are you going to spend for the holiday in the UK?

6 weeks, so 42 days

wendymc Apr 14th 2019 2:30 pm

Re: Do my children need a British passport to visit the UK on holiday?
 

Originally Posted by HGerchikov (Post 12670576)
I went to the UK on my Canadian passport as my British one had expired. No problem at all.

Thank you for your reply :)

SanDiegogirl Apr 14th 2019 5:54 pm

Re: Do my children need a British passport to visit the UK on holiday?
 

Originally Posted by wendymc (Post 12670594)
6 weeks, so 42 days

Make sure you all have medical insurance to cover any non emergency treatment you might need........


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:16 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.