Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Do I still need 16k savings if salary is 18,600k or over?

Do I still need 16k savings if salary is 18,600k or over?

Old Feb 28th 2016, 7:09 am
Just Joined

Saras is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I still need 16k savings if salary is 18,600k or over?

Hi all!

I'm wanted some advice/information of my situation. I am starting a new job where I'll earn 18k. However I do distribute my local newspaper which earns me about £800 a year. Can I add this salary on to my main job? The income 'I think' is variable each week depending on how thick the paper is. I've read that there are two categories A and B... This is also confusing me so I was initially planning to just show savings of 17.5k (16k + 2.5*600) which I can save up to very soon.

..But if I can combine the incomes do I still need the minimum 16k saving?

Another question after the visa is granted can we used the cash savings? I read on the government financial document: at the indefinite leave to remain stage, the whole of the amount above 16k can be used' ----I don't quite understand this.

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 28th 2016, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I still need 16k savings if salary is 18,600k or over?

You need to earn £18,600 p.a. for six months in order to meet the UK spouse visa financial requirement.

The £800 you earn from delivering newspaper - is that cash in hand? Cash in hand income needs to be deposited into your bank account in order for it to be counted towards the financial requirement.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Hi

The £800 going straight in to my account and is sometimes variable. If I combine this income with my main job would I need to still show 16k savings? Also do you know after my spouse gets his entry visa if we are free to use these savings
Old Feb 28th 2016, 2:56 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saras
Hi

The £800 going straight in to my account and is sometimes variable. If I combine this income with my main job would I need to still show 16k savings? Also do you know after my spouse gets his entry visa if we are free to use these savings
No, you either use the earnings route, or the savings route or a combination of both, if your earnings are over the 18,600 a year then no savings are required, if they are not, then you can use savings in the ratio of, I believe, 2.5* the shortfll in earnings, this is because the initial visa is for 30 months. There is, however the requirement to pay £600 up front as a one off to cover
NHS costs for the first visa, paying this means the spouse is able to get full NHS cover.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HKG3
You need to earn £18,600 p.a. for six months in order to meet the UK spouse visa financial requirement.

The £800 you earn from delivering newspaper - is that cash in hand? Cash in hand income needs to be deposited into your bank account in order for it to be counted towards the financial requirement.

Hi,

The newspaper round is a bank transfer and I the person in charge said newspaper round counts as self employment.. So I'm thinking to just leave that and stick to showing savings aswell because I'm not far off in how much I need.

Thanks
Old Mar 6th 2016, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
No, you either use the earnings route, or the savings route or a combination of both, if your earnings are over the 18,600 a year then no savings are required, if they are not, then you can use savings in the ratio of, I believe, 2.5* the shortfll in earnings, this is because the initial visa is for 30 months. There is, however the requirement to pay £600 up front as a one off to cover
NHS costs for the first visa, paying this means the spouse is able to get full NHS cover.
Hi,

Thanks for the info, so I'll need to show savings of 17500k. Ohh so many fees!