Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Disability Living Allowance - Financial Requirement Exemption

Disability Living Allowance - Financial Requirement Exemption

Old Aug 2nd 2016, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

tcantua170 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Disability Living Allowance - Financial Requirement Exemption

Hi!

I am living in the US with my American spouse and my 10 year old son from a previous marriage. I am looking into returning to the UK with my husband and I have seen that if I am in receipt of Disability Living Allowance I can be exempt from the £18,600 financial requirement. My question is what about if I am in receipt of it for my son? He is on the autism scale and before I moved to the US I was informed that I would be able to get DLA for him. Would that count or would the DLA have to be for me?

Many thanks!
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 10:11 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disability Living Allowance - Financial Requirement Exemption

If your son is in receipt of DLA then you would only have to meet the 'adequate maintenance' requirement to order to sponsor your husband for his spouse visa.

See Paragraph 3.6 of Appendix FM 1.7.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You would, of course, need to return to the UK and have you son assessed and then be in receipt of DLA payments before applying for the visa for your husband.

This could take some months.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 10:56 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If your son is in receipt of DLA then you would only have to meet the 'adequate maintenance' requirement to order to sponsor your husband for his spouse visa.

See Paragraph 3.6 of Appendix FM 1.7.
BiP, would the OP first need to return to the UK with her son and apply for DLA for him? Then once DLA was granted, she'd have the necessary evidence for her spouse to include in his visa application from the US?
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 10:57 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You would, of course, need to return to the UK and have you son assessed and then be in receipt of DLA payments before applying for the visa for your husband.

Sorry SanDiegogirl, I took a tea break while I was writing my post so didn't see yours
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Sorry SanDiegogirl, I took a tea break while I was writing my post so didn't see yours
Isn't it 12 midnight in the Wirral? Night Owl?
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 11:11 pm
Concierge

Isn't it 12 midnight in the Wirral? Night Owl?
Very much a night owl. It's that blasted nanna nap I have most afternoons
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 11:25 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
BiP, would the OP first need to return to the UK with her son and apply for DLA for him? Then once DLA was granted, she'd have the necessary evidence for her spouse to include in his visa application from the US?
Yes, you're both correct.

12. Where a person is in receipt of Carer’s Allowance, Disability Living Allowance, Severe Disablement Allowance, Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, Attendance Allowance or Personal Independence Payment or Armed Forces Independence Payment or Guaranteed Income Payment under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme or Constant Attendance Allowance, Mobility Supplement or War Disablement Pension under the War Pensions Scheme, all the following must be provided:
(a) Official documentation from the Department for Work and Pensions or Veterans Agency confirming the current entitlement and the amount currently received.
(b) At least one personal bank statement in the 12-month period prior to the date of application showing payment of the amount of the benefit or allowance to which the person is currently entitled into their account.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Dundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to all

To apply for DLA / PIP you have to have been present in the UK for 104 weeks out of the past 156 weeks. so two year after you arrive back in the UK before you can apply.

https://www.gov.uk/disability-living...en/eligibility
Old Aug 4th 2016, 6:12 am
Just Joined

tcantua170 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much everybody. That's a great help 😊