British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Difference between FLR(m) 2 year route and 5 year route? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/difference-between-flr-m-2-year-route-5-year-route-915906/)

eslo Aug 10th 2018 10:54 am

Difference between FLR(m) 2 year route and 5 year route?

Hello everyone,

My Spouse Visa - Leave to Enter (2.5 years) will expire soon, which means I will have to apply for an extension of stay in the UK as a partner of a British citizen who lives in the UK.
Could you please help with my questions:
  1. Do I need to apply for FLR(m) or something else?
  2. What is the difference between FLR(m) 2 year route and 5 year route?
Thank you for your help.

BritInParis Aug 10th 2018 1:06 pm

Re: Difference between FLR(m) 2 year route and 5 year route?

The two year route is long gone. You’ll need to complete a second 2.5 year stint to be eligible for ILR.

eslo Aug 10th 2018 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12546261)
The two year route is long gone. You’ll need to complete a second 2.5 year stint to be eligible for ILR.

Thank you for your answer.
So I will need to apply for FLR (m) 5 year route, is that correct?

As a married couple, do we need to provide any evidence for genuine relationship (marriage)? could you please share an example?

Many thanks

spouse of scouse Aug 10th 2018 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by eslo (Post 12546290)
Thank you for your answer.
So I will need to apply for FLR (m) 5 year route, is that correct?

As a married couple, do we need to provide any evidence for genuine relationship (marriage)? could you please share an example?

Many thanks

You need to fulfil all the same criteria, and provide evidence of this, as you did for the first visa. The only difference is that both applicant and sponsor's incomes can be used to meet the financial requirements, instead of only the sponsor's as for the first visa.

eslo Aug 10th 2018 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12546291)
You need to fulfil all the same criteria, and provide evidence of this, as you did for the first visa. The only difference is that both applicant and sponsor's incomes can be used to meet the financial requirements, instead of only the sponsor's as for the first visa.

Thank you for your clear answer. I have one more question if you don't mind. Do I need to take an English test in my case (FLR)? is it IELTS Life Skills A2? What if I take level B instead? is there any advantage for further future applications?

Many thanks

spouse of scouse Aug 10th 2018 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by eslo (Post 12546300)
Thank you for your clear answer. I have one more question if you don't mind. Do I need to take an English test in my case (FLR)? is it IELTS Life Skills A2? What if I take level B instead? is there any advantage for further future applications?

Many thanks

Sorry, I was exempt from the English requirement so I don't know the answer to that. I'm sure someone who does will be along :)

BritInParis Aug 10th 2018 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by eslo (Post 12546300)

Many thanks

B1 is required for ILR/citizenship but since the test results are only valid for two years there’s no obvious value in gaining a B1 pass now other than to prove to yourself that you are sufficiently able to do it again in 2.5 years time.