Did we get the settlement visa or not ?

Old Apr 26th 2016, 9:12 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did we get the settlement visa or not ?

Originally Posted by gjscott
You think it's a waste of money, but you do not know anything about our situation. The cost of the immigration lawyer is just over 1 months rent where we live right now in a 1 bedroom 1 bathroom apartment.
Either you live in Hollywood or your lawyer is a con man.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 9:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... You think it's a waste of money, but you do not know anything about our situation. The cost of the immigration lawyer is just over 1 months rent where we live right now in a 1 bedroom 1 bathroom apartment.
BiP is correct.

Unless you and/or your wife either (i) have difficulty reading and understanding the forms, and/or (ii) have a criminal record, and/or (iii) have links to potential terrorists/ terrorist organizations, and/or (iv) have a drug habit, a lawyer is almost certainly unnecessary.

Whether I was living in a palace or on Skid Row I would think very very hard before spends a month's rent on a lawyer to complete routine paperwork.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

gjscott is an unknown quantity at this point

We live in Sunnyvale California. $2000 to $3000 per month is normal rent for decent 2 bedroom apartments.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
BiP is correct.

Unless you and/or your wife either (i) have difficulty reading and understanding the forms, and/or (ii) have a criminal record, and/or (iii) have links to potential terrorists/ terrorist organizations, and/or (iv) have a drug habit, a lawyer is almost certainly unnecessary.

Whether I was living in a palace or on Skid Row I would think very very hard before spends a month's rent on a lawyer to complete routine paperwork.
We can do it, we just can't afford to wait for appeal which could take > 6 months, and we don't want to waste another application fee and the huge and increasing amounts of time on the gamble of another application refused for bullshit reasons.

I have the money and want to get it done without the risk.

When was the last time any of you applied for a UK settlement VISA for an American?

Last edited by gjscott; Apr 26th 2016 at 10:16 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 10:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

We can do it, we just can't afford to wait for appeal which could take > 6 months, and we don't want to waste another application fee and the huge and increasing amounts of time on the gamble of another application refused for bullshit reasons.

I have the money and want to get it done without the risk.

When was the last time any of you applied for a UK settlement VISA for an American?
What value do you think a lawyer is going to add? A lawyer can't wave a magic wand and guarantee that a visa application will be approved, yet the BE forum is littered with cases where a lawyer has loused up anotherwise straightforward visa application.

And I think that BiP's point, and mine, is that if you had filled in your application correctly you wouldn't have the problems you now have. And even if you want to reapply, all you need to do is do it correctly, and you don't need a lawyer to help you do that.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What value do you think a lawyer is going to add? A lawyer can't wave a magic wand and guarantee that a visa application will be approved, yet the BE forum is littered with cases where a lawyer has loused up anotherwise straightforward visa application.

And I think that BiP's point, and mine, is that if you had filled in your application correctly you wouldn't have the problems you now have. And even if you want to reapply, all you need to do is do it correctly, and you don't need a lawyer to help you do that.

Well thanks for that useful information Captain Hindsight.

I'm sure you'd have no problem, BUT WE DID !!!

We're out of time and can't risk another rejection. Do you understand this simple statement?
We want a professional who can validate our application and make sure it's done correctly.

I'll apply your faultless logic to my next lottery ticket purchase and simply pick the correct numbers this time.

THE END.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

A good immigration lawyer would have pointed out your errors - insufficient income, doubt over ownership of properties etc. Even so, no lawyer can guarantee the issue of a visa , it's down to, in this case, the UK authorities. Look at it from THEIR point of view - income too low, name crossed out, mortgage in your name yes, but are you actually the registered owner or just paying the mortgage for someone else.
The rules are clear, as is the documentation required, so take a deep breath, appreciate that folk here are trying to help you and cross your fingers for a favourable solution.
You ALWAYS risk a rejection on any visa application for any country in the world.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

While most of the forum members have not applied themselves for a visa, having provided lots of guidance as to the UK immigration process, several are quite experienced in providing information with regard the financial, relationship and accommodation requirements for the UK spouse visa.

We can also give links to the various UK Border Agency websites which provide precise details of what is required and what documentation to provide.

As previously said if you want further info we are here.

Good luck with your next application.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 12:47 am

.... a professional who can validate our application and make sure it's done correctly. .....
If you'd bothered to read and digest my previous post, rather than just getting irritated, I have already pointed out that paying a lawyer comes with no such guarantee.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 27th 2016 at 1:00 am.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

The Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond repute

Well thanks for that useful information Captain Hindsight.

I'm sure you'd have no problem, BUT WE DID !!!

We're out of time and can't risk another rejection. Do you understand this simple statement?
We want a professional who can validate our application and make sure it's done correctly.

I'll apply your faultless logic to my next lottery ticket purchase and simply pick the correct numbers this time.

THE END.
You sound as if you are irritated because nobody is telling you what you want to hear. This forum is worth hours of legal advice, but you need to listen and accept that you didn't pay enough attention to your application.

I have successfully gone through this process and it a huge amount of work, which requires patience and commitment.