Dependent/Non dependent children: Family details section

Old Feb 11th 2016, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

ruri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dependent/Non dependent children: Family details section

Hi everyone, I just double checked the online form and previously, under the family details section I answered "No" to the question of "Do you have any dependent children?" under Dependent Children.

I answered "Yes" to the second question of "Are any other children travelling with you?" under the Non dependent children.

I assumed that these questions had to do with whether my 2 year old daughter (British Passport holder) would need a visa to enter the UK.

But am I right about this? Can anyone confirm this for me, please?

I feel kind of stupid saying she's not dependent to me when she is only 2!

Thanks all
Old Feb 11th 2016, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dependent/Non dependent children: Family details section

Not sure on this one at all but I would think she IS dependent on you. Can you tick yes to the first one and qualify that she is a UKC? I hope someone else can help.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 4:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like a textbook situation for applying Ian's "just answer the question" rule. .... Take each question at face value, and do not try to ascribe additional criteria that were not included.

Do you have any dependant children?" seems to be a fairly clear question, and it certainly asks nothing about citizenship or need for a visa.

If you have one child, your daughter, and no other children traveling with you, then the answer is "yes" to the first question, and "no" to the second.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 11th 2016 at 4:13 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Seems like a textbook situation for applying Ian's "just answer the question" rule. .... Take each question at face value, and do not try to ascribe additional criteria that were not included.

Do you have any dependant children?" seems to be a fairly clear question, and it certainly asks nothing about citizenship or need for a visa.

If you have one child, your daughter, and no other children traveling with you, then the answer is "yes" to the first question, and "no" to the second.
Well that makes sense. Thank you so much!
Old Feb 12th 2016, 7:02 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You would need to apply separately for your daughter if she required a visa so answering 'Yes' to the dependent child question is the correct option. A non-dependent child would be someone over 18 or living permanently with another parent. You just then need to include evidence with the application that she wouldn't be included in the financial requirements for your visa, i.e. copy of her British passport.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You would need to apply separately for your daughter if she required a visa so answering 'Yes' to the dependent child question is the correct option. A non-dependent child would be someone over 18 or living permanently with another parent. You just then need to include evidence with the application that she wouldn't be included in the financial requirements for your visa, i.e. copy of her British passport.
Thank you so much BIP. I have made the necessary changes and will include a copy of her British passport along with my application.