Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Old Mar 25th 2015, 6:29 am
Just Joined

JW1973 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Sounds like they don't know what they are doing. Personally I would refuse to provide anything else.
Indeed. My father is getting a bit exasperated as his Army ID card didn't do the trick. He's now going to send her his pension details as well as the relevant page from the 1994 Army list which records his service history and dates, although he has reiterated that all the required information is actually on my birth certificate as supplied; the fact that it's a crumbling piece of cardboard and largely hand-written is neither here or nor there - that's just what a consular birth certificate issued in Hanover in the early 1970s happens to look like.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

knighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really nice

Originally Posted by JW1973
Indeed. My father is getting a bit exasperated as his Army ID card didn't do the trick. He's now going to send her his pension details as well as the relevant page from the 1994 Army list which records his service history and dates, although he has reiterated that all the required information is actually on my birth certificate as supplied; the fact that it's a crumbling piece of cardboard and largely hand-written is neither here or nor there - that's just what a consular birth certificate issued in Hanover in the early 1970s happens to look like.
Have you tried bringing your father with you to the Embassy?

I mean if he could wear his old uniform, complete with medals while carrying his rifle, I think that would do the trick. Hahahaha...

Joking aside, I think it would help you since he could present his case himself, stating that he's a retired soldier, that he has his pension from the UK government, etc.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 7:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by knighstrike
Have you tried bringing your father with you to the Embassy?

I mean if he could wear his old uniform, complete with medals while carrying his rifle, I think that would do the trick. Hahahaha...

Joking aside, I think it would help you since he could present his case himself, stating that he's a retired soldier, that he has his pension from the UK government, etc.
My father's based in Cornwall. Lovely place but not much use for dealings with officialdom
Old Mar 25th 2015, 9:10 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If they're that worried about the condition of the birth certificate then you can always order a fresh copy from the GRO. But beyond that I would ask to speak to their supervisor and ask them why your British consular birth certificate isn't acceptable. It carries far greater weight as a piece of prima facie evidence than whatever your father would be able to put together.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

If they're that worried about the condition of the birth certificate then you can always order a fresh copy from the GRO. But beyond that I would ask to speak to their supervisor and ask them why your British consular birth certificate isn't acceptable. It carries far greater weight as a piece of prima facie evidence than whatever your father would be able to put together.
I think they may now have backed down on the nationality aspect. My father has been in direct email correspondence with the particular Examiner and it seems that his proof of Army pension has finally persuaded her.

Having conceded on that issue, today they sent me another emailed letter querying my requested delivery address for the passport and documentation. I gave my employer's address as secure delivery is something you need to take rather more seriously in this part of the world and because my home address is mostly vacant during weekday office hours. Today's letter asked me to fill in, sign and physically send back a section of application form which was never present in the on-line process and to provide a letter from my employer confirming that I work for them at the given address.

This is annoying as among the original documents I sent was a letter from my employer (with the address included) stating why I can't be without my own passport. That being the case, I sent an email to the direct address of the examiner with whom my father has been corresponding (whose name also appears at the bottom of today's letter) referring her to the original letter from my employer and attaching a scan of the previously unseen part of the application form, explaining that I did not want to waste further time and money physically couriering the latest bits and pieces which they have just come up with. I apologised for the direct email and asked for her understanding.

I can only hope this works - I feel like I may just have randomly been selected for extra aggro.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

I think they may now have backed down on the nationality aspect. My father has been in direct email correspondence with the particular Examiner and it seems that his proof of Army pension has finally persuaded her.

Having conceded on that issue, today they sent me another emailed letter querying my requested delivery address for the passport and documentation. I gave my employer's address as secure delivery is something you need to take rather more seriously in this part of the world and because my home address is mostly vacant during weekday office hours. Today's letter asked me to fill in, sign and physically send back a section of application form which was never present in the on-line process and to provide a letter from my employer confirming that I work for them at the given address.

This is annoying as among the original documents I sent was a letter from my employer (with the address included) stating why I can't be without my own passport. That being the case, I sent an email to the direct address of the examiner with whom my father has been corresponding (whose name also appears at the bottom of today's letter) referring her to the original letter from my employer and attaching a scan of the previously unseen part of the application form, explaining that I did not want to waste further time and money physically couriering the latest bits and pieces which they have just come up with. I apologised for the direct email and asked for her understanding.

I can only hope this works - I feel like I may just have randomly been selected for extra aggro.
Most impressed - I just got an email directly back from her saying that she's fine with the email I sent and accepts the original letter as proof and that she will let me know as soon as she has "completed the application, hopefully later today." Needless to say, I was fulsome in my expression of gratitude.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 9:40 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Most impressed - I just got an email directly back from her saying that she's fine with the email I sent and accepts the original letter as proof and that she will let me know as soon as she has "completed the application, hopefully later today." Needless to say, I was fulsome in my expression of gratitude.
Glad it's been resolved satisfactorily. It's a pity your son was born in South Africa and therefore isn't eligible for a consular birth certificate himself to avoid this problem later on.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 7:36 am
Just Joined

Glad it's been resolved satisfactorily. It's a pity your son was born in South Africa and therefore isn't eligible for a consular birth certificate himself to avoid this problem later on.
Thanks. She emailed back later yesterday to say that the new passport will soon be en route via DHL, as will the supporting documents

We will just have to keep renewing his passport on a regular basis. If my wife and I decide to relocate to the UK, we will definitely do whatever the required process is to have him status amended to British other than by descent as well as getting my wife naturalised
Old Mar 26th 2015, 8:59 am

Thanks. She emailed back later yesterday to say that the new passport will soon be en route via DHL, as will the supporting documents

We will just have to keep renewing his passport on a regular basis. If my wife and I decide to relocate to the UK, we will definitely do whatever the required process is to have him status amended to British other than by descent as well as getting my wife naturalised
Unfortunately your son won't be able to have his status amended. He will always be British by descent unless you yourself were in Crown or designated service when he was born or your employer is later added to the designated service list.

If the law remains the same however then any children of his who are born outside the UK can be registered as British providing he spends at least three continuous years in the UK before they are born.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Unfortunately your son won't be able to have his status amended. He will always be British by descent unless you yourself were in Crown or designated service when he was born or your employer is later added to the designated service list.

If the law remains the same however then any children of his who are born outside the UK can be registered as British providing he spends at least three continuous years in the UK before they are born.
Thanks for the info. We'll just have to make sure he spends the required time in the UK. The idea of his offspring ending up non British (or comparable) with only South African nationality is a bit too grim to contemplate
Old Mar 26th 2015, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

JoeGhana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KofiGH
JJghana, do you mind giving me a list of questions you were asked at the interview. Got an interview due soon.
Hello KofiGhana,please I have an interview in Ghana in coming days. Please will you able to outline some of the questions they might ask in the interview?
Cheers
Old Mar 26th 2015, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by KofiGH
JJghana, do you mind giving me a list of questions you were asked at the interview. Got an interview due soon.
Originally Posted by Komfo120
M glad finally u got it.hoping we also receive ours soon.merry christmas
Hello Komfo120, please I have interview coming soon in Ghana. Please will you able to tell me some of the questions they might ask in the interview for child application
Old Mar 26th 2015, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jjghana
Kofi,

It's really straight forwards if your paperwork is in good order. Questions about the birth, your relationship, but there are no questions that I was asked that we didn't instantly know. Good luck
Hello jjghana I have an interview coming soon in Ghana coming days. Please can you help some of the questions they ask in child passport applications in Ghana?
Thanks
Old Mar 26th 2015, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Ajai2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi
I applay child uk passport nearly 1year I get email yeastday they call my wife and son intrvew in srilanka u know what type question they ask and after intrevew how long take I get passport plz let me know

Thank you
Old Mar 26th 2015, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

MKR333 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh how grateful I am I found this site. I'm currently in Lebanon and so far have waited 17 weeks for my son's passport. I am British and my husband is Lebanese. We were quite meticulous with the documentation so don't feel there will be a problem (I hope not anyway), I really don't know what else I could ask to provide.

I'm kicking myself now though for not registering his birth with the consular. I had read it wasn't required for the passport so just figured I'd sort it out in the UK, thinking his pp would take a month or so. We wanted to get all the paperwork done fast after his birth as we don't live in Lebanon. (Can anyone answer whether I can still register my son on the GRO even though he;s now 5 months old?)

We just came here to Lebanon to deliver and then planned to head back to Asia, where we do live after a visit to the UK, to introduce my son to his UK family.

My husband already returned to Asia for work 1 week before we put the application in. We never dreamt it would be 12 weeks, let alone longer than that!

The first 12 weeks were very frustrating, not knowing whether we were coming or going. Everytime I called the UK passport office, I'd get less than helpful information. Usually the person on the line would check the website for duration times to Lebanon, telling me it'll be around 12 weeks, telling me they can't help me without a reference number, even though I wasn't issued one and giving me their usual motto 'no news is good news' and to 'hang in there'. I'm sure these are hanging on their office wall!

We're so lucky we have somewhere to stay at my husband's parent's house and I get along really well with the family, otherwise I'd no idea what we would have done.

On the 12th week I called and was told, it should be soon and to wait another 2 weeks and if it still hadn't arrived contact them again and they'll escalate it through to the 'office'. So week 14 came and I called and they asked me to provide an email address and someone will get back to me within 4 working days. At last some news I thought!

Within 30mins I received an email from Liverpool, confirming receipt of my son's application and it was going through the routine security checks, no timeframe on completion could be provided. Sigh...

That led me to Google and this forum.

I'm now resided to the fact I could still be only half way there and I'm not expecting to hear anything anytime soon, which to be honest has been a relief. I've been able to stop focusing on when we're leaving to instead focusing on making the most being here.

Thank god we have someone to take care of us. I'm so shocked at the lies and total disregard to our situation even though we're British citizens. I feel like they've totally just left us out in the wilderness, without a second thought to whether we are able to survive or not.

If they had be honest in the first place, we would have delivered in the UK and not put our family in limbo.

Let's see what our story turns out to be. Wishing the best of luck to those still waiting too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.