Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Old Oct 16th 2014, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Glad to hear people getting their passports finally! 26 June Gillymonkey that's a long while to be waiting...
Old Oct 16th 2014, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know how your supporting documents are returned to you? The passport came via DHL is that what happens with the other docs too?
Old Oct 17th 2014, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

elizdave is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey
It arrived!

We applied on 26th June. I knew there was a delay because they couldn't reach my countersignature (he got laid off and they were contacting him at his old work address). I provided a new countersignature and they never bothered getting in touch.

Phew, glad that is over with. But, bun number 2 is now in the oven so here we go again once he/she is here.
Wow thats a good news..double congrats
Old Oct 18th 2014, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey
Does anyone know how your supporting documents are returned to you? The passport came via DHL is that what happens with the other docs too?
Yes, the supporting docs along with old passport and any foreign passports you may have sent in should all come back in a second DHL pack
Old Oct 20th 2014, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

green121 is an unknown quantity at this point

Parliamentary and Diplomatic
Enquiries Team
2nd Floor, Peel, NE
2 Marsham Street
London
SW1P 4DF

Email [email address]
Website www.gov.uk/hm-passport-office

Vikram
Email: [FOI #226527 email]

Reference: FOICR 32829/14

13 October 2014

Dear Vikram

FREEDOM OF INFORMATION REQUEST

I am sorry for they delay in responding to your e-mail of 22 August, in which you ask for information
on passport processing times. Your request has been handled as a request for information under
the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

I am able to disclose the information set out in the enclosed Annex.

In keeping with the Freedom of Information Act, we assume that all information can be released to
the public unless it is exempt. In line with normal practice we are therefore releasing the
information which you requested via the www.gov.uk website.

I hope that this information meets your requirements. I would like to assure you that we have
provided you with all relevant information that Her Majesty’s Passport office (HM Passport Office)
holds.

If you are dissatisfied with this response you may request an independent internal review of our
handling of your request by submitting a complaint within two months to the address below,
quoting reference FOICR 32829/14. If you ask for an internal review, it would be helpful if you
could say why you are dissatisfied with the response.

Passport Adviceline: 0300 222 0000
Email us at [email address]
Visit our website at www.gov.uk

Information Access Team
Home Office
Ground Floor, Seacole Building
2 Marsham Street
London SW1P 4DF
e-mail: [email address]

As part of any internal review the Department's handling of your information request will be
reassessed by staff who were not involved in providing you with this response. If you remain
dissatisfied after this internal review, you would have a right of complaint to the Information
Commissioner as established by section 50 of the Freedom of Information Act.

Yours sincerely

H Reid
Parliamentary and Diplomatic Enquiries Team

Annex

Freedom of Information request from Vikram (reference FOICR 32829/14 )

The information requested and HM Passport Office response is set out below. However, I
must make clear that only questions 1, 2 and 5 met the Freedom of Information criteria of
recorded information which is held by a public authority but is not publicly available. I have
tried to find answers to your remaining questions where possible
I would appreciate if you can provide the following information in relation to a New
Child Overseas Passport application submitted in India:

1) What is the standard time taken for issuing new child passport from India? We
have been waiting for 21 weeks now and the only response we get is 'regular checks
are still being conducted and you cannot provide any timescales'. Can you please
provide a breakup of applications held up for more than 16 weeks, 20 weeks and so
on, and the reasons why they are taking so long?
The published turnaround time on www.gov.uk for first time child passport application
made in India is at least 16 weeks. The website clearly states that if HMPO requires
further documentation or information this will take longer. From Jan to August 2014 there
were 63 first time child applications from India which were still in progress after 16 weeks
and there were 40 cases still in progress after 20 weeks.
It is not possible to provide an exact time by which an application will be dealt with
because the checks necessary to determine whether the passport can be issued can rely
on third parties providing information as part of the application process. Applications may
also take longer dependent on the individual application but reasons may include
incomplete applications, missing supporting documentation or anomalies with an
application that mean checks are more detailed and take longer.
Every effort is made to progress applications as quickly as possible but HMPO do not
advise arranging travel until passports are actually in the possession of the customer. We
are unable to comment on the specific application as you have not provided sufficient
details upon which to comment.
2) When you say at least 16 weeks, when can we expect the passport? Can we
expect it in 16 weeks or 20 weeks or 26 weeks ? We do live in the UK and have
employment responsibilities and also have to pay taxes and bills in the UK. How do
you expect us to handle such matters if you keep us held in a foreign country
indefinitely for such long periods?
Please also see answer above. The expected turnaround time is achieved in some cases.
As indicated, there are also a number of situations which may result in a decision not
being reached within the periods set out in the website. Where that delay is due to HMPO,
there is provision to issue an Emergency Travel Document for urgent travel purposes.
There is also a complaints process https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-
passport-office/about/complaints-procedure that sets out how a complaint can be

escalated. The handling of first time children applications require additional and specific
checks. In addition to the checks to ensure that the nationality, identity and entitlement
criteria are met under the Royal Prerogative, checks are also carried out to ensure that the
welfare and safety of the child are paramount.
Any decision to travel abroad from the UK (including children born overseas from UK
resident parents) without the ability to return to the UK residential address is the
individual's responsibility and HMPO cannot be held accountable for any difficulties this
causes.
3) We are also given a reason that local checks for overseas applications take lot of
time and it depends on the co-operation of local authorities. If you were able to
conduct the same local checks quickly and issue passports within 6-8 weeks earlier,
why are you now unable to conduct the local checks even after 21 weeks? Have the
local authorities in India stopped co-operating with the you recently or is it due to
your inefficiency?
HM Passport Office will not issue a passport unless we are fully satisfied that the applicant
meets the criteria set out under the Royal Prerogative. The speed at which checks are
completed depends on the individual circumstances of the case and some may be
completed quicker than others whilst some may take longer. It is not possible to be
prescriptive in the response times but we do seek to complete cases where we can within
the expected turnaround times.

4) Do you not have any separate policy to process applications of people who are
UK residents but are temporarily in a foreign country? Or do you treat all overseas
applications as that of Non-Dom's and make everybody wait for long periods
irrespective of where they are domiciled?
The published minimum turnaround time is based on country of application and application
type. When assessing applications for children we undertake checks on both the child
and their parents and where their documents originate from. The time period advertised is
not based on domicile but the need to verify the application to ensure that the claimed
person holds that identity, is a British national and that they are part of the claimed family.
5) Is there any data on how many UK domiciled residents (not Non-Dom's) are held
up overseas due to delays in issuing passports and for how long they are held up?
Are you taking any steps to process their applications faster to enable them to join
their families in the UK and report back to work and schools?
The information is not held in the format requested. Applications are processed in the
order of receipt. In cases or urgent or compassionate circumstances we endeavour to
expedite applications but we are nonetheless dependent on receiving a fully completed
application, assistance from the family and the completion of security checks.

6) We have been informed that the applying parent of the child may have to attend
an Interview in New Delhi. If the applying parent is in the UK and you do not provide

any definite timescales, how do you expect the parents to attend an interview at
very short notice? Is it not possible to arrange the interview in the UK?
In certain cases we can, if necessary, interview parents in the country in which they are
currently located. The location can be agreed once they have been invited to interview,
but if this is not where the child is residing it may take longer to arrange. If, as in this case
one parent is in the UK, then an interview can be held in the UK but, as stated, this may
take longer to arrange. The applicant should advise of their family circumstances when
they are invited to interview abroad.

7) The Home Secretary has announced Free ETD's. As she announced, is it
practically being issued to first time child applicants from overseas? If so, why are
the British Embassy staff in Chennai, India demanding a fee of about £100 ?
In June 2014 the Home Secretary announced that First Time Child passport applications
overseas could receive emergency travel documents ( ETD’s) free of charge only if the
published service times for that country have been exceeded and the application had not
been delayed as a result of an incomplete application, missing information or other
actions from the applicant’s family, outstanding checks or other factors beyond our
control.

8) What documents do you expect an applicant to submit for an ETD when all the
original documents and copies are held by you along with the passport application?
We have been informed that all original documents are held by the British High
Commission in New Delhi while the application is being processed in the UK.
Doesn't the British High Commission in New Delhi share documents/information
with the Deputy High Commission in Chennai in order to issue the ETD ?
When applying for an ETD the documentary requirements to confirm Nationality and
Identity are the same for the passport application. When an ETD is requested when there
is a current passport application in progress, FCO and HM Passport Office work together
to ensure all documents whether with the current application or with the ETD application
are shared. This includes sending verified copies of original documents as necessary from
HMPO to or from FCO staff at the Embassy.

9) When one of the parent is in the UK how do you expect both the parents to attend
an interview to issue an ETD ? ETD means Emergency Travel Document, but what
we have realised is,there does not seem to be any emergency at the BHC in issuing
the ETD, as you are demanding documentation which is not easy to produce in
emergency situations. Is there any faster process for passport applicants who have
been waiting for very long periods and are stranded due to your inefficiencies?
As stated under question 2 the guidance on the https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
outlines the process required to obtain a British passport. The Home Secretary, in June
2014, stated that applicants could apply for emergency travel documents but also stated
that all necessary checks would be carried out prior to a travel document being issued.
Each case is assessed on its merits and where one parent is not in India we will work with
the family to discuss the best way of fulfilling the required checks.

10) We have been informed that if any one parent is currently not in India, we can
submit attested photocopy of the passport. However, such copies are already held
with the BHC along with the passport application. If the originals are held with the
BHC, how do you expect a UK Notary to attest a photocopy without seeing the
original?
HM Passport Office has representatives in New Delhi and they will work with the Foreign
and Commonwealth Office to ensure that where possible information is shared. Guidance
is provided on www.gov.uk on what documents can be submitted and in what
circumstances they need to be certified. Please also see response under question 8.

Old Oct 25th 2014, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

saman is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys I applied first British passport for my son from Iraq from 17th of March I received email from 1st of June, asked for our original British passports and I sent them.
from September returned our passport and my wife she had interview by the time
and still we waiting for son's passport
Old Oct 25th 2014, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

hi guys I applied first British passport for my son from Iraq from 17th of March I received email from 1st of June, asked for our original British passports and I sent them.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

elizdave is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by saman
hi guys passport? ied firsitish passport for my son from Iraq from 17th of March I received email from 1st of June, asked for our original British passports and I sent them.
Hi any news on ur son british passport? We been waiting for 21weeks already and still in security check
Old Oct 29th 2014, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Hello elizdave , from 24th of this month I received letter from HMPassport want me to go to Durham office for interview , so booked appointment for 5th of November , well waiting for that time .
Old Oct 31st 2014, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Hello elizdave , from 24th of this month I received letter from HMPassport want me to go to Durham office for interview , so booked appointment for 5th of November , well waiting for that time .
if your wife attended an interview 2 months ago ...why they need you for new interview??
Old Oct 31st 2014, 8:45 am
Just Joined

DLondon Prn is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear All

Great news for me and my family/daughter arrived this morning, the long wait since 19 April 2014 has end and we finally got my daughters passport. Thank you all for your suggestions, advice etc and wish you luck and patience for those who are waiting.

DS and MEA
Old Oct 31st 2014, 10:38 am
Just Joined

Actualy i have same question why? :/
Old Nov 5th 2014, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Actualy i have same question why? :/
how was your interview today? have you asked them when they will issue the passport?
Old Nov 5th 2014, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

yes i went interview today in Durham office, the guy he told me he well sending this interview to Amman Embassy , and we let you know in 2weeks time.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 12:36 am
Just Joined

oneman17 is an unknown quantity at this point

yes i went interview today in Durham office, the guy he told me he well sending this interview to Amman Embassy , and we let you know in 2weeks time.
Hello what questions were you asked at the interview pls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.