Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Old Sep 9th 2014, 9:41 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Originally Posted by Paul M B
Thank you. It sounds like the best option would be just to apply for it while we are here. Although i think he does have his consular birth certificate already.

I wasn't going to become a US citizen but i guess that is an option.
The other thing to mention is that as a US citizen your son is legally required to enter and exit the US on a US passport so you'll need to get both sorted out for him. The consular birth certificate is optional but I would recommend it to futureproof his evidence of British citizenship. You can also use it as a standalone document to apply for his British passport.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The other thing to mention is that as a US citizen your son is legally required to enter and exit the US on a US passport so you'll need to get both sorted out for him. The consular birth certificate is optional but I would recommend it to futureproof his evidence of British citizenship. You can also use it as a standalone document to apply for his British passport.
+1
Old Sep 9th 2014, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Paul M B is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh he has his US passport already. We got that for him immediately and then stupidly dragged our feet about his UK one. Mainly out of ignorance at not knowing how everything works really.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 9:58 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Oh he has his US passport already. We got that for him immediately and then stupidly dragged our feet about his UK one. Mainly out of ignorance at not knowing how everything works really.
No problem, that will be one less thing to worry about then.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

After reading the financial requirements to get my Wife and Son home it looks like this is not going to be an easy, if possible even, task at all. It looks like a lot of stress will be heading my way.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 10:21 pm

After reading the financial requirements to get my Wife and Son home it looks like this is not going to be an easy, if possible even, task at all. It looks like a lot of stress will be heading my way.
If it's any help your son, as a British citizen, isn't included in the requirements.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Just your wife. Your son has the right to live and work in the UK limitlessly as a UK citizen.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you! I would never have figured that out.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

I just thought I'd update.

I am still waiting for my son's 1st child passport. It's nowbeen just over 10 weeks. I called the passport office today and they told me it was there and that no news was good news so hopefully it should come soon.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

pushgog90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey everyone! I posted my timeline for my first Adult passport application from the USA in a USA specific thread, but thought I'd post here to give some new data.

Application for First Time Adult Passport
16 August: Submitted online application and paid fee
20 August: Documents and Declaration form sent via Fedex to Durham
22 August: Fedex tracking shows declaration and docs received at HMPO
26 August: After one email to customer service... Docs officially received
8 September: Status changed to "Dispatched"
9 September: Text from DHL stating that a package would be arriving
10 September: New Passport arrived
?: Supporting documents have yet to arrive
Old Sep 11th 2014, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pushgog90
Hey everyone! I posted my timeline for my first Adult passport application from the USA in a USA specific thread, but thought I'd post here to give some new data.

Application for First Time Adult Passport
16 August: Submitted online application and paid fee
20 August: Documents and Declaration form sent via Fedex to Durham
22 August: Fedex tracking shows declaration and docs received at HMPO
26 August: After one email to customer service... Docs officially received
8 September: Status changed to "Dispatched"
9 September: Text from DHL stating that a package would be arriving
10 September: New Passport arrived
?: Supporting documents have yet to arrive
Wow that was so quick! I'm also in the US and incredulous that it is taking this long for my sons especially since he has a consular birth certificate already.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

pushgog90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey
Wow that was so quick! I'm also in the US and incredulous that it is taking this long for my sons especially since he has a consular birth certificate already.
I was so shocked at how fast they processed everything. I was already geared up for a long wait... Really happy about it though as I'd like to move to Europe and work
Old Sep 12th 2014, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

CalitoManchester is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife is a British citizen by birth and we live in the US. I'm a US citizen. Our two girls were born here and we recently applied for their British passports. We didn't have a consular certificate or anything, just applied using the online form and sent supporting documents. Here is our timeline:

Application for First Time Child Passport
August 20: Submitted online application and paid fee
August 21: Sent supporting documentation to the UK
September 8: Status for one child is now "Dispatched"
September 9: Status for other child is now "Dispatched"
September 11: First child's passport arrived! (only took 21 days total!)
September ?: Still awaiting second passport and backup docs

I'm still amazed how smoothly the whole process has gone, although now I'm probably jinxing myself! Best of luck to you all.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

mrsmackenzie is an unknown quantity at this point

In May I applied for my daughter's first British passport from Canada, and it took around 10 weeks from start to finish.
In that 10 weeks we also had a delay by approx 2 weeks due to the passport office in Durham not accepting the declaration form which was printed on US letter sized paper (which was listed as an accepted size on the website). They posted another declaration form to me, on A4 sized paper and we had to fill it all out again, have signed by lawyer again etc, and mail off.
I was extremely stressed by that delay because I'd sent my British passport as a supporting document. I then discovered I needed my passport to attend my husband's appointment for spousal settlement visa. I've since realized that this wasn't the case, and a photocopy would have sufficed!
Anyway, I called the passport office for an update probably 20 times and got nowhere, then suddenly one day the passport arrived.
We're currently waiting for my husband's settlement visa to be processed (applied from Toronto Aug 25 with priority processing).
So much waiting and stress!
Old Sep 18th 2014, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

I'm not sure I've seen the answer to this anywhere but can you apply for your child's passport while in the uk rather than the country he was born in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.