British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Delays in first passport for child born overseas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/delays-first-passport-child-born-overseas-830435/)

zuluswede Apr 16th 2014 4:04 pm

Re: Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Applied for my son's (2nd) UK passport beginning of March (from the US). I did it "online" and got a "login". Status says "Declaration Received" which has been the case for 5 weeks. Applied for his US passport at the same time got that in 3 weeks. UK processed 5M applications in 2013, US did 12M. Paid over $200 for his UK application, US cost me $140. Something is very wrong in Blighty!

Vexcore Apr 16th 2014 4:05 pm

5 weeks? so you still haven't got his brit passport yer? 0_o

zuluswede Apr 16th 2014 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 11221845)
5 weeks? so you still haven't got his brit passport yer? 0_o

Nope, still waiting. The processing times back in March said 4-6 weeks... I'm not holding my breath...

Vexcore Apr 17th 2014 11:26 am

Originally Posted by zuluswede (Post 11221856)
Nope, still waiting. The processing times back in March said 4-6 weeks... I'm not holding my breath...

Jesus... let me know if you get it in the end!!! i'll keep you posted about mine!

Fazmattaz Apr 17th 2014 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Kenya (Post 11209313)
Thanks for your responses. Yesterday I spoke to someone in Durham who told me that all overseas passport applications are proceeding slowly due to teething problems associated with the centralization of all overseas applications in the UK. Apparently there are two stages to the application: firstly, review in the UK and secondly review in the region from which you apply. My application is still stuck on the first phase after 3 and a half months and apparently that is not abnormal. It looks likely to atleast another few weeks still.

I will update when I receive it, for the benefit of others in a similar situation.

I'm in a dilemma because my wife's uk visa expires on the end of April and I have applied for my daughters first uk passport. It has now been 5 weeks since Durham received the application. I am worried the visa will expire before the passport arrives!! What should I do? Can I get an extension on the visa?

Fazmattaz Apr 17th 2014 11:56 am

Originally Posted by 37100 (Post 11215809)
Italy. I'm in Italy. We have to send them to Durham. It will be at least 12 wks before I get my passport. :(

You can only apply on line from here, too, but on the Declaration Form, which I made a copy of, there is a barcode with a number under it. I printed this off and sent it with the required docs. etc. to Durham. Probably why the call centre said your's should have one. Obviously, not all applications do and they don't know this. The calls centres can only see the same information I can see when I log in using the Username and Password I saved when completing the on line application. However, after loads of calls they put me through to a processing office who said that they were inundated with applications.

If anyone needs a direct number for Durham p.m. me and I'll pass on the number another member of BE gave me. :)

Hey mate. I'd really appreciate the direct number of Durham. I tried pming you but administrator wouldn't let me.

zuluswede Apr 17th 2014 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 11223083)
Jesus... let me know if you get it in the end!!! i'll keep you posted about mine!

Absolutely! Good luck!

Dashie Apr 17th 2014 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Fazmattaz (Post 11223113)
Hey mate. I'd really appreciate the direct number of Durham. I tried pming you but administrator wouldn't let me.

It will let you after 3 posts I believe. Just reply to this one ;)

Fazmattaz Apr 17th 2014 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Dashie (Post 11223134)
It will let you after 3 posts I believe. Just reply to this one ;)

Thanks buddy!

johno5175 Apr 18th 2014 6:42 am

I just had a noob born here in China. i am british by birth and mom is chinese. Decided to go the full British route for the baby as the kid will never technically be Chinese.
Anyways i want to send off for the little ones first passport but have to order a copy of my birth certificate to send off with the passport applicication.

I am wondering if it will speed up the passport process if i register the baby here in guangzhou and get a UK style birth certificate or if thats just a waste of time for the moment as i can do that anytime.
Seems mixed reactions here about if its quicker or makes any difference to the speed of the babys application if has UK style birth certificate. Also that means i would have to order another birth certificate and divorce paper if i get the birth certificate..... How much a pain this is.

Any suggestions?

chaoclive Apr 18th 2014 9:33 am

It seems that many people say that a UK consular birth certificate helps in the process.

Vexcore Apr 18th 2014 10:38 am

Originally Posted by johno5175 (Post 11224296)
I just had a noob born here in China. i am british by birth and mom is chinese. Decided to go the full British route for the baby as the kid will never technically be Chinese.
Anyways i want to send off for the little ones first passport but have to order a copy of my birth certificate to send off with the passport applicication.

I am wondering if it will speed up the passport process if i register the baby here in guangzhou and get a UK style birth certificate or if thats just a waste of time for the moment as i can do that anytime.
Seems mixed reactions here about if its quicker or makes any difference to the speed of the babys application if has UK style birth certificate. Also that means i would have to order another birth certificate and divorce paper if i get the birth certificate..... How much a pain this is.

Any suggestions?

Hi there, im also in china same boat as you and this is what ive done

(steps below in caps lol)

1: YOU DO NOT NEED TO SEND THEM YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE (if he has a consular birth certificate
2: GO TO BEIJING REGISTER YOUR SON AT THE BRITISH EMBASSY (ITS WHAT I DID)
3: WAIT FOR HIS CONSULAR BIRTH CERTIFICATE - WHICH WILL MAKE HIM BRITISH AND CLAIM TO HIS CITIZENSHIP
4: PRINT OFF THE PASSPORT FORMS GET 2 PHOTOS ADD HIS CONSULAR BIRTH CERTIFACTE SEND TO LIVERPOOL VIA DHL EXPRESS
5: WAIT AND HOPE

I'm at stage 5 mate lol

Remember you don't need to use your birth certificate at all if you can register him at the British embassy. just send a photocopy of your passport page with the application.

Originally Posted by chaoclive (Post 11224384)
It seems that many people say that a UK consular birth certificate helps in the process.

It does, its a UK style birth certificate. it will speed up the process more quickly!

johno5175 Apr 18th 2014 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 11224419)
Hi there, im also in china same boat as you and this is what ive done

(steps below in caps lol)

1: YOU DO NOT NEED TO SEND THEM YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE (if he has a consular birth certificate
2: GO TO BEIJING REGISTER YOUR SON AT THE BRITISH EMBASSY (ITS WHAT I DID)
3: WAIT FOR HIS CONSULAR BIRTH CERTIFICATE - WHICH WILL MAKE HIM BRITISH AND CLAIM TO HIS CITIZENSHIP
4: PRINT OFF THE PASSPORT FORMS GET 2 PHOTOS ADD HIS CONSULAR BIRTH CERTIFACTE SEND TO LIVERPOOL VIA DHL EXPRESS
5: WAIT AND HOPE

I'm at stage 5 mate lol

Remember you don't need to use your birth certificate at all if you can register him at the British embassy. just send a photocopy of your passport page with the application.

It does, its a UK style birth certificate. it will speed up the process more quickly!

Cheers mate.... Thinking its probs better to then go to BJ or try first here in GZ but first have to get my birth certificate to register her. Shouldnt see why i need it if i have my passport. Also dont see why i should need my decree absoloute (divorce papers) as seems a right hassle to get those and a lot of cash so will try what you said.... Hopefully you will be on step 6 soon lol.

Dashie Apr 18th 2014 11:27 am

The need for your birth certificate is because it's the easiest way to show your own citizenship as being 'otherwise than by descent'. If you gained your British citizenship by descent, you would still have a passport, but you would be unable to pass it on to your children. That's my understanding anyway. Getting replacement UK birth certificates is usually fairly easy :)

Muheza Apr 18th 2014 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Dashie (Post 11224485)
The need for your birth certificate is because it's the easiest way to show your own citizenship as being 'otherwise than by descent'. If you gained your British citizenship by descent, you would still have a passport, but you would be unable to pass it on to your children. That's my understanding anyway. Getting replacement UK birth certificates is usually fairly easy :)

How do you get a uk birth certificate while you are abroad?