Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Old Feb 19th 2017, 2:12 am
Just Joined

Truongt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Delays in first passport for child born overseas

My own child case is now with the ombudsman and should be getting reply v soon they say. Application made july 2015. Anyone with experiance after ombudsman was involved? Becuz it has been so long I am going to push it all the way... judicial review if required. Recently got a HO status letter comfirming her british citizenship. $cum bags are now trying to take that away from her too, after they say they would accept it if i applied for one.

Last edited by Truongt; Feb 19th 2017 at 2:56 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 5:00 am
Just Joined

Ganon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I applied for my son's British passport recently but I am very afraid that he may not have been eligible to begin with!! or is he??
Before applying,I had called the Passport Adviceline (+44 (0) 300 222 0000,and they told me that he would be eligible and so I went ahead and applied. Today I found out that if I obtained my citizenship using my BNO then I was "British by descent" and would not be able to automatically transmit my citizenship to my son. I thought I was "British otherwise than by descent", but I think I was mistaken.
So anyway,even if I can't automatically transmit my citizenship to my son, can he still apply and get it? Because I already applied and its been 9 weeks already. The Liverpool office has passed my son's application to New Delhi, and I recently supplied them with additional documents that they asked for.
Some background info:
My D.O.B: 25/09/1980 (born in Hong Kong)
Parents are from Nepal and father was in British Gurkha Army when I was born.
Used my B.N.O to obtain my B.C: 2012
Got my British passport: 2013
Son was born : Dec 12,2015 (in Hong kong)
Married to my Nepali wife in 2010 before I even got my B.C and before my son was born.
Would greatly appreciate if anyone could shed some light into my situation.
Extremely sorry for this lengthy post and thanks in advance.

Last edited by Ganon; Feb 22nd 2017 at 5:02 am. Reason: clarification
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 7:08 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ganon
Hi,
I applied for my son's British passport recently but I am very afraid that he may not have been eligible to begin with!! or is he??
Before applying,I had called the Passport Adviceline (+44 (0) 300 222 0000,and they told me that he would be eligible and so I went ahead and applied. Today I found out that if I obtained my citizenship using my BNO then I was "British by descent" and would not be able to automatically transmit my citizenship to my son. I thought I was "British otherwise than by descent", but I think I was mistaken.
So anyway,even if I can't automatically transmit my citizenship to my son, can he still apply and get it? Because I already applied and its been 9 weeks already. The Liverpool office has passed my son's application to New Delhi, and I recently supplied them with additional documents that they asked for.
Some background info:
Married to my Nepali wife in 2010 before I even got my B.C and before my son was born.
If you were born in Hong Kong then normally you would become a British citizen otherwise than by descent. What does your certificate of registration as a British citizen say?
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Hi BritinParis,
my certificate of registration doesnt mention anything about my citizenship type. But i read it in this place website link that if i got my citizenship through BNO then I would be British by descent. Is my understanding correct??
thanks and regards
Ganon.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Some background info:
You can get Indefinite Leave to Enter for your son when his mother received her UK spouse visa and the whole family moves to the UK. You can do this as long as the child is under 18. However, in order to register the child as a British Citizen, he will need to live in the UK for at lease three year.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 11:15 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi BritinParis,
my certificate of registration doesnt mention anything about my citizenship type. But i read it in this place website link that if i got my citizenship through BNO then I would be British by descent. Is my understanding correct??
thanks and regards
Ganon.
That doesn't necessarily apply in your case. Your registration certificate should contain the information required to tell for certain.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 1:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
That doesn't necessarily apply in your case. Your registration certificate should contain the information required to tell for certain.
Hi BritinParis,
I can't find anything on my registration certificate that shows whether I am BC by descent or otherwise than by descent. Here is the picture of my registration certificate.
thanks and regards
Ganon

Old Feb 23rd 2017, 7:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi BritinParis,
I can't find anything on my registration certificate that shows whether I am BC by descent or otherwise than by descent. Here is the picture of my registration certificate.
thanks and regards
Ganon
The photo isn't showing up, so please repost with the photo in another format - but please do make sure you've blanked out any identifying info in it before doing so if you haven't already!

Thanks.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Hi BritInParis,
please take a look at my certificate of registration. Trying to upload the picture here. hope this works.

regards
Ganon.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 4:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi BritInParis,
please take a look at my certificate of registration. Trying to upload the picture here. hope this works.

regards
Ganon.
No, it didn't work! If you click the paper clip symbol you can just attach a JPEG or similar and that should be fine.

HTH.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi BritInParis,
https://flic.kr/p/S9GCA9
regards
Ganon.
I can view the image you posted.

Ganon was register as a British Citizen under section 4B of the 1981 British Nationality Act.

Would be grateful if Ganon can confirm what I wrote above is correct.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by HKG3

Ganon was register as a British Citizen under section 4B of the 1981 British Nationality Act.

Okay, so it does appear that Ganon is in fact a British citizen by descent.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 1:19 am
Just Joined

Okay, so it does appear that Ganon is in fact a British citizen by descent.
Awww.. Does it mean that my son's passport application is not valid? But they have accepted my son's application and are conducting security checks. Is there any chance that they are still going to issue my son with a passport?

Some background info:
Registered as a British Citizen under section 4B of the 1981 British Nationality Act.

Mailed the declaration form and documents from Hong Kong: 12th Dec 2016
Application received by Liverpool office: 16th Dec 2016
Received email from New Delhi HMPO asking for additional docs: 1st Feb 2017
Sent additional docs to New Delhi, HMPO: 3rd Feb 2017
Acknowledgement from New Delhi of receipt of docs: 9th Feb 2017

Last edited by Ganon; Feb 24th 2017 at 1:28 am.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 1:31 am
Just Joined

Yes, I confirm its correct. So this makes me a BC by descent and my son's application for passport is not valid.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 9:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

How odd - it just came up as a question mark in a box for me, on both phone and desktop!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.